PDA

View Full Version : Kevin how bad is it in Windsor?

Biz
09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
http://wpmedia.windsorstar.com/2016/09/flooding.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Flooding prompts Windsor, Ont. mayor to declare state of emergency

Windsor, Ont. Mayor Drew Dilkens declared a state of emergency after the massive flooding that hit the region Thursday.

He said damages to people's homes and businesses are going to be too overwhelming and he plans to ask senior levels of government for help.
■Windsor-Essex flood response keeping city crews busy

"This is beyond the reasonable capacity of the city to handle," he said at a news conference. "It's beyond the capacity of the residents to handle."

The city received 700 flood-related calls to its 311 service centre, which saw call volumes triple the normal level. Dilkens reminds residents to keep calling, if they get a busy signal.

He wants to tap into a provincial emergency fund, saying officials will apply to see if the city is eligible.

"We want to do everything we can. We're not shirking our responsibilities," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/state-of-emergency-1.3784575

The clearing skies this afternoon is just a temporary lull in the torrential rainfall that has already pummelled Windsor and Essex County Thursday, forcing some motorists to abandon their vehicles on flooded roadways.

“We may get some breaks here and there, but unfortunately with this low-pressure system parking itself in southern Indiana it’s going to keep sending these streams of moisture northward over the next couple of days,” Environment Canada spokesman Geoff Coulson said this afternoon, forecasting that the next big rain is coming across Lake Erie and should arrive in Windsor-Essex by about 4:30 p.m.

How much rain will fall will be “highly variable,” according to Environment Canada’s alert for Windsor and Essex County, but it should range between 40 and 70 mm over the rest of today and Friday. The latest rain measurements taken at 2 p.m. show that 78 mm has fallen at Windsor Airport in the last 24 hours. But volunteers living near Lake St. Clair are reporting much more significant rainfall — 115 mm in Belle River and 120 to 160 mm in Tecumseh. Meanwhile, volunteers in Leamington report 50 mm of rain.
The average rainfall in Windsor is 94 mm for the entire month of September.

The rain is being produced by a slow moving low pressure system over the Ohio Valley.

Thursday morning, deserted vehicles scattered the intersection of Tecumseh Road East at Lesperance Road as the storm water rose across the county.

East Windsor and Tecumseh appear to be the hardest hit so far as emergency services reported numerous road closures.

Windsor police reported a sinkhole on Lilac Lane between Lauzon Road and Esplanade Drive.

Tecumseh fire said Tecumseh Road East between Lesperance and Southfield Drive is flooded.

Riverside Drive East between Pillette and Lauzon roads is closed because of flooding.

ZR
09-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Had no idea they got hit that hard.

Biz
09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Had no idea they got hit that hard.
A months worth of rain in a Day.
The system was sweeping from the south east and just kept hammering them as it tracked towards Chicago.

http://blackburnnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CthvSXTWYAApWZZ-970x400.jpg
http://wpmedia.windsorstar.com/2016/09/floodedstreets2.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Screw
09-29-2016, 05:52 PM
fuk

Ponyryd
09-29-2016, 06:06 PM
It was very bad today, I'm in Tecumseh and on my whole street apparently me and my two neighbours are the only ones who had dry basements, on my way home there were carpets and mattresses out at a lot of places, tons with hoses coming out onto the street draining water. Our shuttle Van ('16 gcaravan) got towed in this afternoon, invested water and locked up while picking up customers, went across a flooded road despite seeing two stalled car in the exact area it died, lol, that will be my job tomorrow.

Mellow Yellow
09-29-2016, 11:18 PM
It looks like the Tecumseh and east Windsor area picked up at least 4" of rain. My wife works in Tecumseh and was sent home because water was threatening to come in the building and the toilets wouldn't flush. As Ponyryd stated many many homes with flooded basements. I heard a municipal pump house was hit by a falling tree that took the power out to the pump....you can imagine the rest.

Upto 2 more inches by tomorrow night.

This morning I was driving her in and spun the Fusion on the 401. In fast lane guy in front hit the brakes hard, so I had to also, hydroplaned and wound up facing the wrong way. Didn't hit anyone and were both good....but I can't hear with my right ear 'cause Tina was screaming so much. I have new tires on order, obviously the current ones are shot.

ZR
09-30-2016, 06:48 AM
^ Now that could have ended badly, cool that it didn't.

Stephen06GT
09-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Glad to hear you are okay Kevin.

Laffs
09-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Biblical amounts of rain.

My house flooded, my grandparents house flooded, my moms house flooded. Was up from 7am yesterday morning bailing out my basement, to 9pm dealing with my moms. Killed 2 pumps and one shop vac.

My new truck took in water from the sunroof again and is now at the dealer with moist interior. Mustang got wet as water started coming in to garage. Nothing major but will need major drying and dehumidifying, greasing and detailing.

When I left my house this morning it was still trickling water from two spots on the walls one corner one centre. I just tossed towels on ground near there. Can't miss another day of work with budget time looming. And more rain on way, wife working half day hopefully I don't get a call midday its full bore again.

Top 5 all time shitty days of my life.

Mellow Yellow
09-30-2016, 08:58 AM
^^^ I just can not imagine having to deal with basement flooding or even flooding of your outside grounds! Hope all goes well.

03svt
09-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Biblical amounts of rain.

My house flooded, my grandparents house flooded, my moms house flooded. Was up from 7am yesterday morning bailing out my basement, to 9pm dealing with my moms. Killed 2 pumps and one shop vac.

My new truck took in water from the sunroof again and is now at the dealer with moist interior. Mustang got wet as water started coming in to garage. Nothing major but will need major drying and dehumidifying, greasing and detailing.

When I left my house this morning it was still trickling water from two spots on the walls one corner one centre. I just tossed towels on ground near there. Can't miss another day of work with budget time looming. And more rain on way, wife working half day hopefully I don't get a call midday its full bore again.

Top 5 all time shitty days of my life.

Brutal, sorry to hear.

Biz
09-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Brutal Laffs, and you guys are still under a heavy rain warning.

Blackmare
09-30-2016, 09:36 AM
So sorry to hear Laffs.

Laffs
09-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Brutal Laffs, and you guys are still under a heavy rain warning.

Ya, I woke up at 4am to move some more stuff off ground or to upstairs. Im fully anticipating more water when I get home and weekend manning the pump and mop. Truck may be at dealer all weekend, so at least it's not like I can be anywhere else. Gotta research this disaster relief funds for my mom, she had a flood claim last year so cant make another for 5 years. Her's was 2 feet of standing water from storm sewers, going to be a total gut job and I don't have the time to fix hers, mine and my office workload at moment.

If anyone needs me I'll be the guy with a mop calling immigration lawyers googling jobs in Arizona....

WTF
09-30-2016, 10:59 AM
sorry to hear you're going through all that shit Laffs

Laffs
09-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, it sucks but mother nature will fuck your shit up some times and nothing you can do. Guess my truck has plugged sunroof drains (after 5000kms) so I'll figure out how to clean them and start adding it to my monthly cleaning regimen. That's one problem down. Gonna hit up the store for some hydraulic cement and paint on waterproofing member on the way home., try and patch the bigger visible cracks in the trouble spots, see if I can get away with a DIY before I pay the $$$$$ to have foundation dug and wrapped

Scrape
09-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Wow sorry to hear that over there in Windsor. I saw it on the news last night.

Ponyryd
09-30-2016, 06:05 PM
Crappy situation all around, luckily we saw very minimal wate at our sewer drain downstairs, I had to go help my neighbour next door clear his out last night, damn that was stinky. Oh, and the shuttle van needs an engine (obviously not warranty), had 30k, took in tons and tons of water.

RedSN
09-30-2016, 06:19 PM
Crazy storm system, just skirted along the edge of the lakes. We hardy got a drop here.
Sorry to hear about all the flooding and damages.

They've been on-and-on on the radio commercials about backwater valve installations. Anybody know if it's code now? And if so, when was it introduced?

WTF
09-30-2016, 06:36 PM
They've been on-and-on on the radio commercials about backwater valve installations. Anybody know if it's code now? And if so, when was it introduced?

not sure if it's code now...but I'd assume likely

had ours done in 2014 and applied for the city rebate.....cost us about $2800 to get it done and figured the city would give us about $14 back

nope...they sent us a cheque for $2100

it's a dirty nasty job

Ponyryd
09-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Don't think it's code, or if it is it was just introduced. My in-laws have a 3 year old house and it flooded also, along with most of the people in their area (all recently built semis).

Ponyryd
10-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Guess my truck has plugged sunroof drains (after 5000kms) so I'll figure out how to clean them and start adding it to my monthly cleaning regimen.

Never seen this btw, only ever seen drains installed wrong at the factory, and one cracked housing. Either they're covering, or you park under a tree with tiny leaves constantly falling.

Laffs
10-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Never seen this btw, only ever seen drains installed wrong at the factory, and one cracked housing. Either they're covering, or you park under a tree with tiny leaves constantly falling.

The tech is my buddy Kyle so he was telling the truth. Said one was full of dirt. The garage I park in at work is filthy and covers my truck in concrete dust daily which I wash weekly. Those two factors combined means my drain plugged up fast. I'm going to take care to clean the track out and gently blow out the tubes with low psi air regularly.

Also think I got most of the cracks in the foundation dug up and waterproofed. Blew my knee out in the process but no more water entry after last nights storm.

Ponyryd
10-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Gotcha, well dust will do it, they've been really good from what I've seen though, if they were installed right I see no issues, just the third brake light OE seal is pathetic.