PDA

View Full Version : TMP Road Course Lap Times...

Armen
10-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Any of you guys video record your laps and go back after to see what kind of times you were running?

I did that today with the video I uploaded and saw 1.27 and 1.26 on a couple of laps.

Just wondering what you guys might have ran there so I can see how I compare.

98 Snake
10-16-2016, 11:53 AM
My laps were 1.29 with a 1.28 my fastest

RedSN
10-16-2016, 01:20 PM
^^^mine were the same. Averaged 1:29, and turned in a bunch of 1:28's

Those new 5.0's are quick. How do you feel it compares to your old BOSS?

tulowd
10-16-2016, 01:28 PM
1:26's on a Mustang on street tires is pretty quick... in the video of JT chasing me (6 laps) we were running 1:25's and 1:26's with traffic. Track and ambient temperatures have a big influence on this; if the track is colder, it will be trickier to get the tires consistently to their optimal grip level.

I've run 1:24s on Nitto NT01s with Hawk DTC-60 race compound brake pads....on manual steering and stock Fox architecture no less, lol
JT is running consistent 1:23's on Hoosier slicks and race pads in his 08 Shelby as per his videos.

Chasing someone down or an open track are paramount to put together a qualifying type fast lap.
Not sure of anyone else; any videos I've seen posted by other members here indicate 1:27's and 1:26's, so you're right up there.

Young Conrad with the blue Acura time attack car (he also has a Shelby KR clone) has broken into the 1:19's on soft street tires, but that car only weighs 2500 lbs and makes 500 FWHP.

Tires and brakes are what you need to go faster, once you reach the limit of your current setup or driving limits/comfort zone.
First things first would be brake pads that work harder at high temperatures. Race pads have a much higher coefficient of friction than street or stock pads, so you can get way closer to maximum deceleration potential more of the time. This is where you knock tons of time off your laps, but the real deal is unusable/unsafe on the street. I have dedicated, burnished discs and pads for the track. After the initial investment, with virtually zero wear after 5 lapping days, they should last me 2 or 3 full seasons, thus saving tons of $$ while going way quicker.
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg582/tulowd/Tech%20Stuff/10960138_786590641432271_4245330335107867973_o_zps ab6dd3cb.jpg

The various interfaces with GPS and track overlay/blue tooth integration out there for reasonable costs would be a good addition for anyone lapping in a newish OBDII equipped Mustang. That will allow you to analyze your laps one inch at a time lol. Data logging on suspension/chassis movement would be about the only other thing, but you would have to speak to Roger Penske about that.

Armen
10-16-2016, 01:41 PM
^^^mine were the same. Averaged 1:29, and turned in a bunch of 1:28's

Those new 5.0's are quick. How do you feel it compares to your old BOSS?

It's just so hard to compare because I've learned so much since the Boss when it comes to the road course. All I can tell you is I'm having a blast with this car at the track. Like, to be able to drive this car to the track, empty out the trunk, adjust the pressures, drive like I stole it and then put the pressures back to 'street' and just drive it home - is an amazing experience. I went for a nice long cruise yesterday with the top down and I thought to myself, it's hard to believe it's the same car.

Just to note: Thursday was the first time I used the shift paddles on the track (I've been using them on the street a lot this summer to get used to them). While I wish they were just a bit quicker to respond, they were a blast none the less.

The times I'm using above are based off my vid chasing the Camaro around the track. I use the start finish line for lap times (with dash cam timer).

14:21.28 to 14:22.55 = 1.27

14:22.55 to 14:24.21 = 1.26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbLnBvQH98

Armen
10-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Here's the Boss around TMP Oct of 2013 for comparison (using start/finish line and Youtube clock).

1.28 to 2.59 = 1.31

2.59 to 4.30 = 1.31

4.30 to 6.00 = 1.30

6.00 to 7.29 = 1.29

7.29 to 8.59 = 1.30

8.59 to 10.28 = 1.29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYcSLdph0s

1BAD92LX
10-16-2016, 04:57 PM
I can do mid 1:28's pretty consistent, may have done a 1:27 at some point on another day. But thats with alot of suspension work, slick tires and not real street friendly brake pads

RedSN
10-16-2016, 05:58 PM
^^^we need more power to hang with those verts

Got a clip of us chasing a red cobra I gotta edit and post.

HyperGT
10-16-2016, 06:38 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEif_z-blkE

1:14 - this guy is an awesome driver. Looks fast and is. Corner speed is unreal. Dont follow his lines in a mustang though. Stock gt3 rs , hR6 tires.

your times are very good Armin, especially with a vert and street tires.

1BAD92LX
10-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Looking forward to seeing us driving way over our heads trying to stay in front and getting passed easily on the straight

ZR
10-16-2016, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvbZa5A0Bw

HyperGT
10-16-2016, 07:07 PM
^lol who needs a porsche when you have a trailer.

ZR
10-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Absolutely.

RedSN
10-16-2016, 07:47 PM
1:14 - Stock gt3 rs , hR6 tires.
What's a GT3 RS worth? $200k?
I think I could shave a few seconds off my time with $184k worth of mods. ;)

Not disrespecting the driver...you have to be a good pilot to maneuver that car around that fast.

HyperGT
10-16-2016, 08:34 PM
whatever the cost 10 sec on that course is huge. stock ln tires is impressive no mater what the cost.

tulowd
10-16-2016, 08:41 PM
What's a GT3 RS worth? $200k?
I think I could shave a few seconds off my time with $184k worth of mods. ;)

Not disrespecting the driver...you have to be a good pilot to maneuver that car around that fast.

Don: if you install race pads and new slicks, you should be able to reduce your lap times by 3 sec for about $ 2000.

Not4you
10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
My PB was a 26 in my Mach.

Is it even possible to spend $184k in mods on a Mustang? I'd sure love to try!! Wind up with something like this:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/08_mustangfiagt32010.jpg

Armen
10-16-2016, 09:24 PM
My PB was a 26 in my Mach.

That seems extraordinarily quick.

98 Snake
10-16-2016, 09:31 PM
here is a video i took with the trackaddict app on my phone. video is a little shaky
i have never timed myself before so i have nothing to comapre too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_OzKcfR1ZwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not4you
10-16-2016, 10:11 PM
That seems extraordinarily quick.

ok. 1:26.8 ... lmao

ZR
10-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Based on a couple of vids shot from inside my own car, highly doubt I ran the times they suggest from back when there is zero chance I actually ran that fast. Part of my total decompress from stress during track days is no hard timed numbers. Much prefer to judge my progress off peeps I'm normally as fast as or perhaps slower than. If I can keep up with the ones I normally can, having a great day, if I can put em in the rear view, having a killer day behind the wheel, could just as easily be the opposite next time out. Spring track day, I was lucky to even stay close to them. A few changes in the car plus being more comfortable with how it drives this fall saw me pick up the pace, hope it's still there next time.
When all is said and done, it's all about having a good time and coming home satisfied with the level we are able to scoot around at. Doesn't mean we can't strive to improve though.

Armen
10-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Based on a couple of vids shot from inside my own car, highly doubt I ran the times they suggest from back when there is zero chance I actually ran that fast.

Ummmmm, what? LoL. You're saying the video time is wrong or..?

ZR
10-16-2016, 10:57 PM
Vids shot from inside my car (in years gone by) suggested I ran a low 1:20, another couple in the mid 1:20s. Would be elated if it were true but I know it's not possible. Don't know enough about vid to comment why.

Armen
10-16-2016, 11:03 PM
Oh. Ya, I dunno. I posted vid from my cell phone (Boss in 2013) and video from Thurs (dashcam). The two to three seconds improvement I see between the vids I just attribute to gaining experience. The times seem very much in line with what others have posted.

ZR
10-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Easy to see by eye your dramatically faster vs back when you had the Boss, a whole bunch smoother as well. All I'm saying, and there is an excellent chance I'm wrong, I question are we running the times these vids suggest?

ZR
10-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Cool part, there is no doubt we have improved n continue to trim the times down.

Armen
10-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Easy to see by eye your dramatically faster vs back when you had the Boss, a whole bunch smoother as well. All I'm saying, and there is an excellent chance I'm wrong, I question are we running the times these vids suggest?

All I can suggest to confirm is watch one of the videos and use your wrist watch. I haven't done this only because it never occurred to me that the times in the vids and/or on YouTube would be off. I guess the vid from Thurs will show both the dashcam time and YouTube run time, so that should give an idea.

RedSN
10-17-2016, 12:05 AM
Looking forward to seeing us driving way over our heads trying to stay in front and getting passed easily on the straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=RxXpgxWydME

ZR
10-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Epic fun laps for all of us.

Not4you
10-17-2016, 08:35 AM
Video timing relies on marking a point on the track to start then stop the clock with some witchcraft involved to get it right at the split. TMP has a few lines painted on the track on the front straight so it can be easy to mistakenly start at one and stop at another.

Weather also plays a roll. Hard to beat a time set in June when you try in October.

But as said all that really counts for lap times is measuring the width of your smile and relative length of your boner.

Uncle Buck
10-17-2016, 08:39 AM
No real idea of my lap time but know I'm one of the slower guys out there. I have one clip that suggests a 1.37 so yeah, lots of room to improve. I'm certain i could be a bunch faster if i went deeper in the corners and braked harder but with 06 stock brakes I figure why punish them if I'm already having fun and really don't care what my times are. My tires are past their before date as well.

I did notice a big improvement in how flat the car was this year and it was easier to control in the corners. Last year I had a big front sway bar and a stock one out back and the car was unbalanced as hell. This year I added a big bar out back too and it's way more balanced. An extra 120 hp made turn exits a whole new experience. No more mashing the pedal lol.

I'm pretty sure I was faster this year and had a few good laps behind Stephen to compare to. He still got away but it took awhile. Lol

Better balance in the corners, more power in the straights, a great bunch of guys and stellar flag man skills made this my favourite TMP day yet. Looking forward to next year already.

Armen
10-17-2016, 08:58 AM
Video timing relies on marking a point on the track to start then stop the clock with some witchcraft involved to get it right at the split. TMP has a few lines painted on the track on the front straight so it can be easy to mistakenly start at one and stop at another.

They have two along the retaining wall. A big fat checkered one (that's the one I'm using) and then a thin white one just near where the wall ends towards turn 1.

---

Reading over some of these responses, it seems that there is some underlying resentment that I've started this thread. To be clear, I was not looking to bench race or encourage clock racing next year and I'm certainly not looking to brag about any perceived time.

I just wanted an idea of where I was at. That's it. That's all.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers in 'the clique'.

RedSN
10-17-2016, 09:25 AM
I didn't perceive it that way at all Chris. And I don't think reviewing dashcam footage qualifies as "clock racing". I see it as a tool to compare your progress from last year. When I go out there I am not conscious about the timing or the dashcam, I'm not even really aware of the speedometer. Somebody asks me how fast I was going at the end of the straight my honest answer is: "I don't know, I was concentrating on my braking point, not looking at the speedometer."

Example: by reviewing/comparing dashcam footage from last year, my times went from around 1:31 to 1:28. I can attribute that improvement to the oil cooler I installed this spring allowing me to keep the engine temps under control and me out on the track for an entire session. Going out there for longer periods I can work on my lines and braking.

Armen
10-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I didn't perceive it that way at all Chris. And I don't think reviewing dashcam footage qualifies as "clock racing". I see it as a tool to compare your progress from last year. When I go out there I am not conscious about the timing or the dashcam, I'm not even really aware of the speedometer. Somebody asks me how fast I was going at the end of the straight my honest answer is: "I don't know, I was concentrating on my braking point, not looking at the speedometer."

Example: by reviewing/comparing dashcam footage from last year, my times went from around 1:31 to 1:28. I can attribute that improvement to the oil cooler I installed this spring allowing me to keep the engine temps under control and me out on the track for an entire session. Going out there for longer periods I can work on my lines and braking.

Thanks Don. I totally agree with you. Funny at the lunch some were talking about how fast they go at the end of the straight, "200, 210"... I was like, I don't get anywhere near that!

Anyway, appreciate the feedback.

Ray721
10-17-2016, 09:39 AM
I've only been on the road course once in my at the time stock 2014 Track Pack. Michaela was clocking me and by the end of the day was down to 1:30. I always took the last turn slow though. That wall scared the shit out of me. Don't want to be making payments on a ball of scrap lol.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Zexhuffer
10-17-2016, 10:12 AM
So who's the fastest??

ZR
10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
I didn't take it that way either Chris.

Armen
10-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Ummm... Never mind.

RedSN
10-17-2016, 10:44 AM
So who's the fastest??

I ran a low 1:20

There's your answer http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47267&d=1468264761&thumb=1

Biz
10-17-2016, 11:51 AM
I saw a couple of RS's there. Any idea what they ran?
They should be fairly quick.

Armen
10-17-2016, 12:29 PM
I saw a couple of RS's there. Any idea what they ran?
They should be fairly quick.

One was in the beginner group. But the other one in the fast group... It was fast. He was very smooth.

TheMustangShow
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
I've only been on the road course once in my at the time stock 2014 Track Pack. Michaela was clocking me and by the end of the day was down to 1:30. I always took the last turn slow though. That wall scared the shit out of me. Don't want to be making payments on a ball of scrap lol.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

LOL!

Don't FEAR the WALL Ray...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LEvILf3rk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LEvILf3rk

ZR
10-17-2016, 12:51 PM
One was in the beginner group. But the other one in the fast group... It was fast. He was very smooth.

I followed one in the fast group, smoooooooooooth as silk, impressive ride n piloting.

ZR
10-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks Don. I totally agree with you. Funny at the lunch some were talking about how fast they go at the end of the straight, "200, 210"... I was like, I don't get anywhere near that!

What I've found, cutting back on my straight away speeds helps me to better set up for corner one and two. Later in the day that translated into the high 170's or so. I suspect it's part of what those really in the know talk about when they say going slower to go faster.

Not4you
10-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Slow in. Fast out. You will gain more time savings in the following straight, even if it is a short one, than you will save by braking late and compromising mid corner and exit speed.

Jack Raccoon!
10-17-2016, 02:30 PM
But as said all that really counts for lap times is measuring the width of your smile and relative length of your boner.How did this get to be about my penis...

Styrofoam04
10-17-2016, 03:06 PM
I use RaceChrono and Track Addict. My Fastest recorded time was 1:38.86, But there was traffic and almost every lap I got a Blue flag and had to slow on the straight. One of the few moments I had no one passing on the straight, I ended up going faster then I was used to that I was not able to brake enough at that speed and I went off the track on to the grass.

Here's video of the only session I was able to salvage and even then it didn't connect to my OBDII reader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6ZF8KXMWc

Ghost Rider
10-17-2016, 03:07 PM
How did this get to be about my penis...

you have a very small smile...more of a smirk really :D

Ghost Rider
10-17-2016, 03:12 PM

yeah, the guy that said that is full of it LOL

Ghost Rider
10-17-2016, 03:16 PM
This is obviously not from Thursday where I couldn't get the car to handle worth a damn...this was when the weather conditions were deff more optimal and my tires were quite a few heat cycles less...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pys1wmxC0rc

RedSN
10-17-2016, 03:35 PM
This is obviously not from Thursday where I couldn't get the car to handle worth a damn...this was when the weather conditions were deff more optimal and my tires were quite a few heat cycles less...
...and there was no lake on the inside of turn 5.

Ghost Rider
10-17-2016, 03:39 PM
...and there was no lake on the inside of turn 5.

^^^This!! That was actually the worst part for me...it really through that whole section off for me and going through it wasn't an option as when I would even just hit the wet patch beside the puddle it would get loose...

If I had the F1 DSG3's on there, she would have power right through that shit!!

ZR
10-17-2016, 04:22 PM
here is a video i took with the trackaddict app on my phone. video is a little shaky
i have never timed myself before so i have nothing to comapre too

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_OzKcfR1ZwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That is really cool plus talk about affordable.
Thanks for posting.

tulowd
10-17-2016, 05:37 PM
So who's the fastest??

lol, JT's GT500 by a country mile. Come out to the track and it will be obvious.

Stephen06GT
10-17-2016, 06:48 PM
lol, JT's GT500 by a country mile. Come out to the track and it will be obvious.

Was he running the Romulan Cloaking device on Thursday? Maybe that explains those mysterious splashes of water in turn five. :D

tulowd
10-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Was he running the Romulan Cloaking device on Thursday? Maybe that explains those mysterious splashes of water in turn five. :D

sorry.....forgot to give you the goggles :)

1BAD92LX
10-20-2016, 07:54 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wcvegYgYM

Forgot I had this, it's from earlier in the summer

ZR
10-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Thats funny, you use the same screwed up line through 2B (or 3 depending on who you ask) as I do. Works just as well for me. Cars looks stellar out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wcvegYgYM&app=desktop

Jack Raccoon!
10-21-2016, 11:27 AM
you have a very small smile...more of a smirk really :DOuch...

Ghost Rider
10-21-2016, 03:30 PM
Ouch...

LOL, don't worry, we all know it's not the size of the smile...but rather how big the laugh is!!

RedSN
10-21-2016, 03:45 PM
this is getting weird.

Not4you
10-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Thats funny, you use the same screwed up line through 2B (or 3 depending on who you ask) as I do. Works just as well for me. Cars looks stellar out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wcvegYgYM&app=desktop

Do you mean not getting to the exit on the far left? I learned the track the same way. With it being so tight you often need to compromise an exit to optimize the next entrance. T9 and T11 come to mind as well. I run the same line as you and Brad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3AC8nGt9YE

ZR
10-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Yes Sir, I also cut / stay to the left side on the 90deg left after the chicane.

TheMustangShow
10-22-2016, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRkYkUlot4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRkYkUlot4

Thinking, Riccardo would put up a good time at TMP. :)

90GT
10-22-2016, 03:59 PM
2:58 and on... GOLD!!! I couldnt stop laughing!

tulowd
11-05-2016, 02:23 PM
http://cscs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2016-Lap-Records-After-Season-Finale.pdf

tulowd
11-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Here are some real laps in a real fast street car: 1:18's in a 9000 rpm Porsche GT3.

https://youtu.be/WXvwlVbph6s

Uncle Buck
11-12-2016, 11:40 AM
These crazy guys from Speed Academy are aiming for sub 120's in a tired 05 GT. Should be fun to follow along to see how close they get.

http://youtu.be/uoRB1DGtQds

ZR
11-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Well that was "interesting".

martynre
11-14-2016, 02:35 AM
Here's a video I took at the 2016 fall track day

On laps without traffic I was able to squeeze out a 1:29 or 1:28 from my 05' GT

Only "real" mod done to the car is a 14" Brembo kit up front, that alone made such a huge difference.
Before that I would cook my brakes in about 3 laps

0:00-6:35 I'm chasing Armen until we get stuck in some traffic
6:35-8:45 I'm chasing Matt DaSilva in his Fiesta
8:45-10:00 I'm chasing a red Mach 1 (Not4You?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA6EP4Z-MU

My ultimate goal is to be under 1:25 while still having a street friendly stang

Armen
11-14-2016, 02:49 AM
The red Mach is Ghost Rider Dave.

ZR
11-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Here's a video I took at the 2016 fall track day

On laps without traffic I was able to squeeze out a 1:29 or 1:28 from my 05' GT

Only "real" mod done to the car is a 14" Brembo kit up front, that alone made such a huge difference.
Before that I would cook my brakes in about 3 laps

0:00-6:35 I'm chasing Armen until we get stuck in some traffic
6:35-8:45 I'm chasing Matt DaSilva in his Fiesta
8:45-10:00 I'm chasing a red Mach 1 (Not4You?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA6EP4Z-MU

My ultimate goal is to be under 1:25 while still having a street friendly stang

Great video.

ZR
11-14-2016, 07:54 AM
The red Mach is Ghost Rider Dave.

Your car looks super smooth out there.