PDA

View Full Version : Ram recall

ZR
10-23-2016, 04:54 PM
OTTAWA -- Transport Canada has issued a recall notice for about 10,000 Ram pickup trucks and other Fiat Chrysler vehicles that are at increased risk of stalling or fire in the engine compartment due to an electrical short.
The federal agency says the affected vehicles from model years 2007 to 2014 have a 220-amp alternator with a potential to malfunction in hot weather.
It says the problem can be corrected by replacing the alternator.
The recall affects Ram 2500 pickup trucks from the 2013 model year, Ram 3500s from as early as the 2007 model year and Ram 4500 and 5500s from the 2008 through 2013 model years.
It also affects the Dodge Charger police cars from the 2011 through 2014 model years.
There are also recalls in the U.S. and Mexico.
In a statement Tuesday, Fiat Chrysler says it is aware of a possible injury in the U.S., but no collisions.
The automaker is recalling about 74,833 vehicles in the U.S., 1,088 in Mexico and 134 outside the NAFTA region.

SVOMACH1
10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Wow, amazing how many recalls they have lately.

Ponyryd
10-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Ya there are tons, and they're all well publicized, lol.

RedSN
10-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Unlike the Japanese recalls

ZR
10-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Unlike the Japanese recalls

..............that only happen after being forced.

Uncle Buck
10-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Don't get me started on the 06 Civic I bought new and hated by year 3.

RedSN
10-23-2016, 08:26 PM
My wife, same thing, year one. Hated her civic.

Harbinger
10-23-2016, 08:34 PM
My wife, same thing, year one. Hated her civic.

what happened to yours civics ?

ZR
10-23-2016, 08:45 PM
^ Remember what I said when you mentioned buying a Civic? Take it to heart.

Harbinger
10-23-2016, 09:01 PM
^ Remember what I said when you mentioned buying a Civic? Take it to heart.

I took it into consideration. Know that if I ever do get a civic it'll be a manual.

Ontariomystic
10-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Mine have all been manual.

Not4you
10-23-2016, 09:35 PM
Why the Civic hate? Our first was trouble free for 320,000 kms. Just bought a second to replace the Subbie that was a nightmare. Wonder how much has to do with luck ... when we got the Subbie everyone was raving about them. Ours stranded us 4 times, had exhaust that needed repeated fixing, rear struts that would barely last 40,000kms and a head gasket that was about to blow through.

ZR
10-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Older Civics = virtually bullet proof, especially if oiled to keep rust at bay. Subby, except for head gaskets with oil leakage issue on the later ones along with some seeing repeated ignition coil failures, typically little to nothing happens to them. Rear shock failures, either cheap / improper shocks or springs were so pooched they took em out.
Hope you see good service out of the new Civic.

RedSN
10-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Wasn't a reliability issue for my wife, she just hated the layout of the Civic, it just wasn't what she hoped it would be. She replaced it with a Matrix and was extremely happy with that car.

Uncle Buck
10-23-2016, 11:20 PM
Shortly after the warranty was done my 06 civic started burning oil big time, like a litre per tank, AC packed up, and rear tires wouldn't last more than 30k before the wear was so uneven they howled like a mudder. Turned out to be a bad LCA design according to a class action law suit against Honda.

Not the typical story for a civic owner but after living it, I won't buy another.

Rich-C
10-24-2016, 09:49 AM
My 2016 Colorado has seen 4 recalls already. Getting a little annoying.
-Airbag
-Hood Latch
-Glove box door
-Trailer hitch.

Either GM is very honest, or they really dropped the ball.

RedSN
10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
how do you screw up a trailer hitch? What was the recall?

Jack Raccoon!
10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
I would park that bad boy until the glove box door was repaired and verified by an independent watchdog organization...

70XR7
10-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Older Civics = virtually bullet proof, especially if oiled to keep rust at bay. Subby, except for head gaskets with oil leakage issue on the later ones along with some seeing repeated ignition coil failures, typically little to nothing happens to them. Rear shock failures, either cheap / improper shocks or springs were so pooched they took em out.
Hope you see good service out of the new Civic.

Agreed.
Too bad they're too often driven by asshats with sideways hats and baggy pants.

ZR
10-24-2016, 05:37 PM
HITCH

Certain VINs were reportedly assembled with the 3500lbs tow max trailer hitch and not the 7000lbs rated hitch.

ZR
10-24-2016, 05:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0H1KBcm.png

Ponyryd
10-24-2016, 07:56 PM
After seeing some videos online, it seems Ford should recall the entire box on the aluminum trucks.

Harbinger
10-24-2016, 08:10 PM
I think most would agree that car failures are due to the owner thinking its just a gas up and drive type of deal. Rarely do those types of people even check the dipstick...

Was looking into a AWD matrix for the winter. 2009 models had motor issues with bad pistons / piston rings and burned oil like crazy. There was a tsb which can be covered by toyota until the end of october. Also heard they are not very good on gas but I bet it would be better than my Mach 1. 4vs drink a ton.

RedSN
10-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Don't know about the 4wd version, but the fwd got very good mileage IMO.

Armen
10-24-2016, 08:58 PM
After seeing some videos online, it seems Ford should recall the entire box on the aluminum trucks.

???

Ponyryd
10-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Someone told me about a YouTube video about dropping a toolbox in the bed of a new Ford, it puts a hole right through the bed, then there's another where they drop bricks, puts many holes and some fractures also. Then someone did the same tests with a Ridgeline, no damage, lol. Then I started watching the box/frame twist vids, it seemed like i could watch videos forever, lol, I rarely watch YouTube.
But ya, Chevy did these tests to show how weak the "military grade" aluminum beds are.

ZR
10-24-2016, 10:01 PM
When running, they are all the best / broken the worst.

5.4MarkVIII
10-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Someone told me about a YouTube video about dropping a toolbox in the bed of a new Ford, it puts a hole right through the bed, then there's another where they drop bricks, puts many holes and some fractures also. Then someone did the same tests with a Ridgeline, no damage, lol. Then I started watching the box/frame twist vids, it seemed like i could watch videos forever, lol, I rarely watch YouTube.
But ya, Chevy did these tests to show how weak the "military grade" aluminum beds are.

I think the ones you are talking about were done as advertisements by a manufacture and a dealer.
They dumped the bricks from like 6 feet above the box out of a skidstear bucket.

1, Something most people with half a brain wouldn't do.
2, a "problem" solved by a bed liner.

5.4MarkVIII
10-25-2016, 08:35 AM
To add to that. This is how the scenario would play out
With the ford. Drop the tool box. Dam that was dumb now there is a hold in the bed. Shit. Go to ford order drop in bed liner. Put it in the truck. Forget about it. It's never a problem again.
With the chev. Drop the tool box. Damn I put a huge dent in the box. That was dumb. Go to chev. Buy a drop in liner install it and forget about it. 5 years later. Replace the bed because the pit was chipped off now the bed is rotted out.

For the ridge line. Load up the bricks. Yeah didn't break the plastic bed
Drive out into the road. Get pulled over by mto and fined for being over vehicle haul weight. Pay ticket and trade ridge line in on a real truck. Lol

Armen
10-25-2016, 09:08 AM
My F150 came with a spray in bed liner. I've moved with help of this truck and taken junk to the dump several times. I've had it loaded with big steel drums and lots of wood pallets. No dents.

But I haven't yet dropped a bucket load of bricks from 6ft up. And I don't think any normal guy would.

Laffs
10-25-2016, 09:13 AM
All new vehicles have problems of some kind. Pick the one you think looks the best, has most features you like and is the right price. Then when it needs service sit back, take a Valium, and remember its under warranty.

My favourites are the people I see in the laneway giving the Advisor or Tech getting a verbal beat down about "DO YOU KNOW WHAT I PAID FOR THIS VEHICLE (sorry you can't negotiate??), ANY PROBLEMS ARE COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE" Man would love to have these people work for me, oh you put the wrong paper in the photocopier, gtfo this is completely unacceptable.

RedSN
10-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Pick the one you think looks the best, has most features you like and is the right price. Then when it needs service sit back, take a Valium, and remember its under warranty.
that's a very zen attitude.

....but do you know how much I paid for this vehicle!!!??? ;)

Laffs
10-25-2016, 09:22 AM
that's a very zen attitude.

....but do you know how much I paid for this vehicle!!!??? ;)

So many things in life make me incredibly irate, not going to let early mortality failures or flaws spoil a vehicle I love, its the constant random failures that get you...

Ponyryd
10-25-2016, 10:23 AM
To add to that. This is how the scenario would play out
With the ford. Drop the tool box. Dam that was dumb now there is a hold in the bed. Shit. Go to ford order drop in bed liner. Put it in the truck. Forget about it. It's never a problem again.
With the chev. Drop the tool box. Damn I put a huge dent in the box. That was dumb. Go to chev. Buy a drop in liner install it and forget about it. 5 years later. Replace the bed because the pit was chipped off now the bed is rotted out.

For the ridge line. Load up the bricks. Yeah didn't break the plastic bed
Drive out into the road. Get pulled over by mto and fined for being over vehicle haul weight. Pay ticket and trade ridge line in on a real truck. Lol

Lol, you think steel would rot quicker than aluminum? ever seen a Mustang hood? a Caravan hood? a Expedition tailgate? aluminum will corrode quicker than steel will rot I'm sure, plus the coating needs to be perfect for it to last.
You also may think it's stupid the stuff they're doing, but I've done similar if not worse with any and all of the trucks I've had, it's a truck, it should be able to take a lot of bed abuse. To need to install a bedliner on a vehicle designed to carry stuff is ridiculous.
That's just my opinion, but I'm loyal to no brand so I tell it like I see it.

ZR
10-25-2016, 10:27 AM
My list is up to two peeps I know with new Fords that are afraid to actually use the box as a truck. I for one hope it comes out the hole punched in the floor is staged cause moving pickup trucks in the direction of wt loss is good for all of us. Same goes for hoping they've got corrosion protection under control.

RedSN
10-25-2016, 10:31 AM
...moving pickup trucks in the direction of wt loss is good for all of us..

You know the easy way to make them lighter? Reduce the overall size.
Get back to building a utility truck instead of a socker-mom Canyonero.

http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g-images/g232-1.jpg

http://carreleasedates2017.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-Dodge-Ram-front.jpg

ZR
10-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Dude, didn't you know, largest truck wins.

Scrape
10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Considering how many cars are built nowadays, no car is perfect. Pretty much every car and every model will have a recall at one time or another.

ZR
10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
I'd agree Don except that in many cases truck being so large means it fits the bill for at least some that would have previously had a pair of vehicles.

Rich-C
10-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Lol, you think steel would rot quicker than aluminum? ever seen a Mustang hood? a Caravan hood? a Expedition tailgate? aluminum will corrode quicker than steel will rot I'm sure, plus the coating needs to be perfect for it to last.
You also may think it's stupid the stuff they're doing, but I've done similar if not worse with any and all of the trucks I've had, it's a truck, it should be able to take a lot of bed abuse. To need to install a bedliner on a vehicle designed to carry stuff is ridiculous.

Bed-liners are par for the course. Is having floor mats in your car just as ridiculous? They don't include it with the truck so that they can hit you up at the end for more $.

At the end of the day, there is only so much performance you can expect out of thin, painted sheet metal. If you smack it hard enough, it will break, dent and scratch just like anything else. How many people do you think would actually drop a load of bricks from 6' into the back of an unlined pickup? I would venture to say 1/10,000 if that? Either way, its a stat that ford probably didn't even flinch over.

5.4MarkVIII
10-25-2016, 11:15 AM

I spent ten years working in body shops. Aluminum oxidizes and the layer of oxidization protects the aluminum underneath. Metal rusts. The rust east all the way threw the metal.
It's far easier to fix the paint peeling from aluminum oxidizing than it is to patch holes from metal rusting. I've fixed both many many times.

As for beds. I've seen many metal beds ruined within short years because it's only a truck.
It's all about protecting you investment for how you intend to use it. This isn't new with aluminum been that way for metal for a lot of years.

Laffs
10-25-2016, 11:24 AM
You know the easy way to make them lighter? Reduce the overall size.
Get back to building a utility truck instead of a socker-mom Canyonero.

http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g-images/g232-1.jpg

http://carreleasedates2017.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-Dodge-Ram-front.jpg

Stop posting my dream truck (the second one)

Ponyryd
10-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Bed-liners are par for the course. Is having floor mats in your car just as ridiculous? They don't include it with the truck so that they can hit you up at the end for more $.

At the end of the day, there is only so much performance you can expect out of thin, painted sheet metal. If you smack it hard enough, it will break, dent and scratch just like anything else. How many people do you think would actually drop a load of bricks from 6' into the back of an unlined pickup? I would venture to say 1/10,000 if that? Either way, its a stat that ford probably didn't even flinch over.

I've seen plenty without bedliners (or floor mats) that get used and abused daily. Ever heard of a work truck? Like construction guys, roofers, pavers, landscape, etc...? I've serviced fleets of tucks, most don't pay the extra for bedliners or mats, they go and work them, do you think the workers using them care? No they don't, lol, they toss anything and everything in the bed so they can get home on time. I've seen plenty of steel boxes with holes because of this abuse, and now Ford in their infinite wisdom uses aluminum in the beds? That's all fine and dandy but the bed should come with a bedliner as standard equipment since the bed is clearly not strong enough.

Armen
10-25-2016, 07:58 PM
I like all the new trucks, but one can't deny that the new Fords are selling like hotcakes, regardless of what they're made out of.

Ponyryd
10-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Ya for sure, I'm not denying that, just saying that in their quest for fuel mileage they've really dropped the ball.

ZR
10-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Perhaps spray in liner should become standard equipment. Bed liners are not worth the damage, even at very low km's, had taken all the paint off the raised sections off the box floor of my current truck.

Armen
10-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Ya for sure, I'm not denying that, just saying that in their quest for fuel mileage they've really dropped the ball.

I dunno. Mine's awesome. 2.7L twin turbo. Peppy as hell. Sees low to mid 11's/100. And I don't baby it. But I also don't tow with it.

Ponyryd
10-25-2016, 08:56 PM
^Just saying the aluminum bed was a bad idea, even though nobody uses them as such, it's still a truck after all.

Perhaps spray in liner should become standard equipment. Bed liners are not worth the damage, even at very low km's, had taken all the paint off the raised sections off the box floor of my current truck.

Personally I don't like them, I know I'm in the minority. They're a great way to protech the bed but I prefer being able to slide something from the tailgate to the cab while loading, spray-ins are usually too grippy for me, and probably others whose do similar loading techniques.

Laffs
10-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Love my Ram's factory spray in liner. Seems to grip when I need it and still able to slide toolboxs or containers if I need to.

Also, I wanted to buy an AlumiF150 real bad because of the promise of fuel economy and no rust. After a test drive I couldn't ever justify the jump from my old 06 Ram. One test drive of a new Ram and I was sold sold sold. No offense to anyone with a 15+ F series but they just didn't turn my crank from the ride, styling, tech and use standpoint.

5.4MarkVIII
10-26-2016, 10:36 AM
Read an artical yesterday. That talked about the ram. It made the top 5 list.

For most expensive operating cost over ten years. It was number one for trucks and in the top five for all vehicles.

Harbinger
10-26-2016, 11:37 AM

For most expensive operating cost over ten years. It was number one for trucks and in the top five for all vehicles.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Laffs
10-26-2016, 11:38 AM

Yes the crack investigative team at Yourmechanic.com are industry experts. Also if that list is true they're averaging it based on Dodge figures, which hasnt been the case for sometime and the 10 year old Ram is a completely different platform that 09+/13+ trucks, not horribly concerned.

BRB got to go award HorsepowerKings (or whatever that clickbait site is called) a Pulitzer.

5.4MarkVIII
10-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Hey now don't get upset.

Personal experience. I own a 2010 F150. It was purchased new in 2010. Hooked up to a trailer and been worked every day since.
My father in law had a 2012 ram.
Sure the ram had more power and sounded good when you got on the loud peddle. But that was it. It's ride was too plush the suspension couldn't handle the trailer. Even down to the inside. Only foot vents to the back seat so in the winter the front was too hot but the back seat was still cold.

Price point is better that's true. But I wasn't impressed. My father in law had it for two years then he got tired of fixing it and traded it in.

Laffs
10-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Everyone has different experiences brand to brand. Had terrible experiences with all the big 3 and the germans.

My point was more that article wasn't based on any great research or metric evaluation so IMO it's not a great point of reference, same as comparing "so&so's truck was a gem/pos" stories. My 06 did 250k kms, hauling heavy over the manufacturers rating, getting its ass kicked a lot and only cost me and the previous owner a combined $2500 in MRO over 10years.

I go back to my previous argument of "their all shit in their own way, pick what you like" I personally feel like overall all the Big 3 are putting out a comparable product quality wise overall.

Ponyryd
10-26-2016, 06:31 PM
^Well said. Plus, most guys are very biased about brands and are loyal to one or another regardless of their issues. A Ford guy will love his truck even after all 8 spark plugs blow out and the heads need to be removed to fix it, lol.
Case in point. We have a guy that works with us (a service advisor at a FCA dealership), he loves his Fords (also has an 86 Capri RS that's been sitting for years with a broken trans, but he won't sell it, fucker), so anyways he bought a new one 5 months ago because "my 2010 started making a little engine noise, (with 80k, nothing but synthetic since new, every 5k) I know the noise well, it's the noise they make before they blow up" (formerly worked as a service advisor at a Ford dealership). So he tells me this and once I get up off the floor from laughing, I asked him straight up, "what's that noise Rams make before they blow up........oh ya, they don't have a noise because they don't blow up" then I continued laughing as he walked away cursing.

Well I've worked as a mechanic in the aftermarket, for about 15 years, and I've seen plenty of issues with all brands. Here's how they stack up with me. I like Fords in the '80s/early '90s, GM any year, Ram from 2011-present.
Like I said I'm not loyal to any brand, so I tell it like I see it, I don't care who buys what.

Armen
10-26-2016, 08:51 PM
I just want my driveway to match brands :)

Laffs
10-27-2016, 08:59 AM
I just want my driveway to match brands :)

Buy a 392 Scatpack.