PDA

View Full Version : OMG, how did it take so long to figure out this was happening?

ZR
10-26-2016, 07:58 AM
A 49-year-old nurse has been charged with eight counts of first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of eight elderly residents of long-term care facilities in Woodstock and London.
Speaking a news conference on Tuesday morning, Woodstock Police Chief Bill Renton told reporters that the investigation into the murders began on Sept. 29, 2016 after officers received information about a nurse’s possible involvement in the deaths of several patients at care homes in the area.
“As you can imagine this disclosure caused us to immediately assess the information and muster the necessary resources to ensure a thorough investigation of the facts,” Renton said.

http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3130329.1477407386!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3130329.1477407386!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Elizabeth Tracey Mae Wettlaufer is pictured in this undated photo. (Facebook)

(http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3130331.1477407435!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)The multi-jurisdictional case, which included investigators with the London Police Service and Ontario Provincial Police, ultimately led to the arrest of former Woodstock nurse Elizabeth Tracey Mae Wettlaufer on Monday night.
According to investigators, the deaths occurred over a seven-year period between August 2007 and August 2014.
The elderly patients, who ranged in age from 75 to 96, were killed after being administered a drug, police confirmed.
“We are not in a position at this time to comment further on the specifics of the drug as it forms part of the evidence that is before the courts,” OPP Det.-Supt. Dave Truax told reporters at Tuesday’s news conference.
Investigators would not comment on a possible motive.
Seven victims were residents at the Caressant Care centre in Woodstock and one victim was a patient at the Meadow Park long-term care facility in London.

Scrape
10-26-2016, 08:07 AM
And they don't even know what drug she killed those people off with.

JonsMustang
10-26-2016, 08:11 AM
That's just sick!!!

ZR
10-26-2016, 08:13 AM
Devastating news for the families.

Not4you
10-26-2016, 08:15 AM
And they don't even know what drug she killed those people off with.

Well, the media doesn't. Investigators and prosecution will.

I bet her defense will be that she was euthanizing them.

Gabe
10-26-2016, 08:18 AM
I thought the same thing when I heard the story as Not4you

RedSN
10-26-2016, 08:30 AM
I waited for more details before commenting because this could go one of two way: mercy killing, or murder.
I hate to think the later, but details now are pointing that way.
Apparently she had written some interesting poems about death, and she had been in rehab a few times.

Scrape
10-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Just absolutely makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Blackmare
10-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Horrible to think these families are going to have to go through the grieving process all over again.
Morning radio show out this way read one of her poems she had posted on social media. Pretty damn disturbing.

Blackmare
10-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Little more information from a local news station in Woodstock.

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2016/10/25/nurse-elizabeth-tracey-mae-wettlaufer-49-charged-with-eight-counts-of-murder-at-nursing-homes

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2016/10/25/caressant-care-a-chain-of-retirement-and-nursing-home-headquartered-in-woodstock-involved-in-southwestern-ontario-death-investigation

92redragtop
10-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Pretty crazy story...reminds me of a couple novels I've read in the past with this theme (by author Robin Cook and based on the US health care system - although fiction, most books had their roots in actual US health care system events).

The one aspect we don't know, and may never know, is whether these were requests for assisted suicide/euthanasia (versus her being a serial killer, mercy or not). It's being debated now from a government/legislative perspective and Canadians are travelling to jurisdictions where it's legal to have this done. If these folks were terminal/in pain and asked her to help (still illegal) then that could have been her motive....unfortunately, there's likely no way to know that at this point unless there are video recordings of their wishes/instructions (that seems to be typical with assisted suicide cases even in legal jurisdictions from the cases/videos I've seen).

The Newmare
10-26-2016, 04:42 PM
I guess if she had to of picked younger ones it might of stirred some question but when 85-95 year old people pass away you generally think they had a good long life died from natural causes,surely the thought of them being murdered never came to mind,a tradgity just the same my condolences to all involved!!

92redragtop
10-26-2016, 05:09 PM
I guess if she had to of picked younger ones it might of stirred some question but when 85-95 year old people pass away you generally think they had a good long life died from natural causes,surely the thought of them being murdered never came to mind,a tradgity just the same my condolences to all involved!!

True - autopsies are rarely done when residents in these facilities pass away since that's the eventual expected outcome. I read that one of the deceased residents had pancreatic cancer which is almost certainly terminal so could possibly be a candidate for assisted suicide. I'm not sure about the medical condition of the others and whether they were of sound mental state to request/consent (even though such action is not legal in Ontario; may be in Quebec but I'm not sure if they passed that law as yet; http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/quebec-first-province-to-adopt-right-to-die-legislation/article19009781/).

TheMustangShow
10-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Another reason we need the Death Penalty reinstated to delete demented Cows like this from the planet.

Evidently, CAM-H tipped off the police about her murderous deeds, so I assume she was in some sort of (Taxpayer Funded) Treatment and chirped to a Counselor or something.

Killing "Grannies and Grandpas" should = TEMPLE SHOT or the ELECTRIC CHAIR

May her victims R.I.P. and the families find some solace.

newbiestangowner
10-26-2016, 05:28 PM
just read that short paragraph. wondering where she got the drug from- maybe that nursing home had lax rules with the drug cart/ work policies, procedures which will be exposed during the investigation if she did indeed get the substance from work. ( these killing were over a span of years I think)
At the hospital there was a lot of charting/ signing required also narcotics where lock n key requiring us to ask for the key from the charge nurse on shift- furthermore at the end of the shift 2 Rns made a drug count to check if all narcotics were accounted for before anyone was allowed to leave.

real pos /sicko there- possibly administering drugs meant for other patients and charting that indeed patient got the drug but never did?

newbiestangowner
10-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Well, the media doesn't. Investigators and prosecution will.

I bet her defense will be that she was euthanizing them.

maybe... that's what she'll say - I don't know, but most I've seen at that age combined with health issues most had DNR orders anyway- so if something turns for the worst, patient is made comfortable as possible then would pass away

TheMustangShow
10-28-2016, 06:15 PM
https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/gta/2016/10/27/former-nurse-charged-in-murders-of-nursing-home-residents-prohibited-from-possessing-insulin/elizabeth-wettlaufer.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x612.jpg

Looks like this Murderous PIG may be facing even more Charges!

Left Wing Apologists and Big Pharma Supporters will pull out the Mental Illness card, make no mistake, this is pure evil.

92redragtop
10-28-2016, 06:36 PM
I think the mental illness case is already being made.

Armen
10-28-2016, 07:13 PM
I think I'd like to hear more about the case before drawing uber right wing, obtuse (and regularly maniacal) conclusions.

92redragtop
10-28-2016, 10:33 PM
It also appears that her current employer may not have done proper background checks (assuming past employers recorded the past employment issues that are being reported now).

allicedout
10-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Not assuming or concluding...... She may have been fulfilling some last wishes....

92redragtop
10-28-2016, 11:11 PM
I thought this may have been the case as well which, while still illegal, she may have gotten some leniency if there are/were recorded last wishes from the deceased. If not, she just looks like a serial killer. Based on what they are now saying is in her employment history and personal background, the latter appears more probable.

RedSN
10-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Yep, looking more like a nut-case versus mercy killing.

I was really hoping that it was a case of patients just giving up and wanting death. But it's looking more like these patients just pissed her off and she took their lives.

Darkhorse
10-29-2016, 07:55 PM
This is really disturbing, I was wondering if everyone was going to notice. Our LTC system in Ontario is already difficult enough without families worrying about something like this happening to their loved ones.

I served on a board for the home my mother was in for 10 years and I could NOT imagine having to work with the families that had an employee do something like this.

The mere thought of this makes me ill.

TheMustangShow
05-31-2017, 06:09 PM
https://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/news/gta/2017/05/31/ex-nurse-elizabeth-wettlaufer-expected-to-plead-guilty-to-8-murder-charges/elizabeth-wettlaufer.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x719.jpg

This Murderous Pig ^^ has decided to plead GUILTY. http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/31/ex-nurse-likely-to-please-guilty-to-eight-first-degree-murder-charges
This at least saves the Families from a painful trail, but regrettably, there is no Death Penalty in Canada anymore to properly punish her for her crimes.

Apologists and Big Pharma are already making excuses for this Pile-O-Shit, as the lobbying for a light sentence is underway. Pathetic.

ZR
06-01-2017, 02:39 AM
Disgraced Woodstock nurse Elizabeth Wettlaufer is expected to plead guilty Thursday to eight counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of elderly long-term care patients.
The London Free Press has confirmed that Wettlaufer, 49, will make her pleas in a Woodstock courtroom, followed by an agreed statement of facts from the Crown and the defence.
The anticipated guilty pleas mark the beginning of the end to one of the biggest mass-murder trials in Ontario’s history.
There was speculation there might be a plea deal in the works when earlier in May and during a brief video appearance, it was announced that Wettlaufer would come to Woodstock in person June 1.
That date had been set aside for a judicial pre-trial hearing with Superior Court Justice Bruce Thomas — a hearing that normally doesn’t require the accused’s attendance.
On Wednesday afternoon, at Thomas’s direction an email was sent to media across the province indicating that “significant developments in this case are anticipated” on Thursday.
The email also directed the media where to park their vehicles.
Wettlaufer is charged in the deaths of eight seniors — seven at Woodstock’s Caressant Care Nursing Home and one at London’s Meadowpark Nursing Home. She worked as a nurse at both facilities.
She also faces four charges of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault, also involving elderly and long-term care patients.
Court documents, including search warrants obtained by The Free Press, pointed to the administration of insulin overdoses to the patients.
Wettlaufer has been housed at the Vanier Centre for Women in Milton, Ont.
It’s not anticipated that the case will end Thursday. There has been no indication that victim impact statements are ready or if there will be a pre-sentence report ordered.
Andrea Silcox, daughter of James Silcox, who was the first in the string of deaths connected to Wettlaufer, said she hasn’t been told what will happen Thursday in court.
If there are guilty pleas, Silcox said she would be thankful to Wettlaufer for bringing an early end to the case.
She said that would also “bring closure and an end to (Wettlaufer’s) own family’s grief.
“It doesn’t bring my dad back. I’m still hurting for my dad,” she said, but she would be thankful to her “on behalf of my individual family and friends.”

RedSN
06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
"I knew the difference between right and wrong, but I thought this was something God, or whoever, wanted me to do it," she told the officer. "But I was starting at that point to doubt that it was God."
"Maureen [Pickering] was a handful,...She just got harder and harder to look after and, one night, when I had to look after her … I was starting to get the feeling, that surge again,"
"The surging," she said. "And then the laughter afterwards, which was really, it was like a cackling from the pit of hell."

I expect an insanity plea to go along with this confession.