PDA

View Full Version : Iracing help

Canuckcleaner
10-31-2016, 05:56 PM
Ok what do I really need to get going on this. I travel a lot for work and spend a fair bit of time in hotels with nothing to do. Imy wanting to try this but am on a budget. What are the minimums you guys think I need. I'm going to purchase a laptop refurbed or used and there to get a wheel off kijiji.

StAnger
11-01-2016, 07:17 AM
I would suggest trying to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, then put in as much RAM as it will support.

Something like this, and throw in a Windows 10 upgrade just because 8.1 is garbage.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232554

Canuckcleaner
11-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Ok thx

cf105arrow
11-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Will hotel internet speed be fast enough to keep up with the app? I would think that iRacing would require a high speed connection that hotels probably can't keep up with. Just a thought.

StAnger
11-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Will hotel internet speed be fast enough to keep up with the app? I would think that iRacing would require a high speed connection that hotels probably can't keep up with. Just a thought.

That's a good point. Unless for some reason these motels also offer gigabit Ethernet vs wifi.

Not4you
11-01-2016, 05:06 PM
As said a decent laptop can work fine, I use one. With some graphics turned off or down I get great FPS and that is most important. Playing via wifi is usually a problem so some hotel setups will likely not be enough to use smoothly.

Playing with a console style controller is NOT, AT, ALL, recommended. So unless you plan to travel around with a wheel and pedal set, I am not sure iRacing will be the best companion to take on the road. I use the Logitech G27 set and it is plenty capable without breaking the bank. There are some issues with the durability of the G27 so be careful buying used. otherwise wait for the black monday sale at canada computers.

You will likely also want to invest in a decent headset with a mic. Racing while connected to other drivers through the race channels or something like TeamSpeak makes it far more enjoyable IMO.

I race with a guy from here on the TMC that is east of the city that may still have a G27 for sale. PM me if interested.

Canuckcleaner
11-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Ok thx guys