PDA

View Full Version : Want more power

mavrrrick
11-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Thinking (if I ever get $$$) of upping the power in my stang. However, don't want to go supercharger route. Any suggestions? So far I have CAI, shorty headers, phase 2 tune?, Flowmaster mufflers. I think that's it. These were in the car when I bought it. Again, thinking if I come across extra cash.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Uncle Buck
11-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Save your money for boost or trade up to a coyote.

You can toss LT headers, cams and an intake on a 3V but will only see gains of 45 hp and will be out a boat load of cash unless you find good deals on used and can turn your own wrenches. Then, you'll want more power anyway.

Some 3.73 gears wouldn't hurt.

mavrrrick
11-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Ya.....was thinking longtubes, mild cams, throttle body, tune again...Any estimates of how many horseies i'd have? Anyone?
And 373 gears would be nice.. Thanks.

mavrrrick
11-14-2016, 02:16 PM
And if anyone know approx cost on that would be nice.

Laffs
11-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Gears - Probably 700-800 installed and will give most seat of pants difference I think.

Armen
11-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Have you dyno'd the car? Do you know what it's putting down now? Cause it will give you an idea of what kind of gains you can expect compared to what others with similar goals have done.

Uncle Buck
11-14-2016, 02:49 PM
I'd guess your car is just shy of 300 rwhp now. Mine was 310 with similar mods and an x-pipe.

With the mods you mentioned you'll be 340-350. I think MRODS was 349 with similar mods before he went FI

With new parts, labour and tuning, your wallet will be $6500-$7000 lighter.

3V's are expensive to build NA power which is why most end up boosted or traded.

NickD
11-14-2016, 04:30 PM
I've been though it and can share experiences of what works and what doesn't.
Ling tubes will make more power then shorties, the cost to swap prob isn't worth it. Get a mid with high flow cats and your splitting the difference for much less investment (I've had every combo of the three)
Throttle body, charge motion delete plates etc don't make power and are not worth it until your FI and making over 600hp (proven)
Cams will make some power but to make a difference you need to go with ones that require spring changes, hotrods etc make a small difference but I did them mostly for sound.
Two biggest differences as far as feel driving around will be gears (4.10 for NA) and lighten the car (it's heavy)
First time getting in the car after putting in gears it was a whole new beast. And every time I strip the interior for the drag strip I wish I could keep it like it as a 100lbs+ makes a difference. (Bigger difference with any rotational mass of wheels and tires)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mavrrrick
11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
So maybe just gears and it is what it is. Don't want to get rid of it. Love the look of it. Just want a bit more. Would go 3:73 though. Don't want to kill highway speeds. thanks

mavrrrick
11-14-2016, 06:37 PM
If you've gone through it, I'll get ahold of ya Nick if I move forward on it. Thanks

NickD
11-14-2016, 08:12 PM
Where do you live? I am away until Wed but if you want to try driving mine with 4.10s I will have it out until this weekend. I have slightly under 27" tall rears (stock size) and on the highway it's around 2500rpm (same as most 4 cylinder cars I am looking at now)
If I were to stay NA I'd almost consider 4.30 gears.
Current mods; jlt 3 intake, ford racing manifold, gt500 TB, under drive pullies, full length 1 3/4 headers high flow cats, hot rod cams, 4.10s, tuned by Lito off s197 forum.
Spring current plan is to put a PD blower on it.

newbiestangowner
11-14-2016, 08:24 PM

:fb:

ZR
11-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Best bang for the buck with highest satisfaction level (especially long term), PD blower of your choice. You'd be flat out amazed how hard the two M90 cars we've done recently pull, especially since it comes on not much over idle. The DOB kit is another great option that will not disappoint.
The key to being happy, map out a plan that includes your budget and end goal on h/p and torque and move forward from there.

mavrrrick
11-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Where do you live? I am away until Wed but if you want to try driving mine with 4.10s I will have it out until this weekend. I have slightly under 27" tall rears (stock size) and on the highway it's around 2500rpm (same as most 4 cylinder cars I am looking at now)
If I were to stay NA I'd almost consider 4.30 gears.
Current mods; jlt 3 intake, ford racing manifold, gt500 TB, under drive pullies, full length 1 3/4 headers high flow cats, hot rod cams, 4.10s, tuned by Lito off s197 forum.

Thanks Nick. I'm out in Pickering. Maybe meet next spring and I'll try yours before I do anything .

Stephen06GT
11-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Best bang for the buck with highest satisfaction level (especially long term), PD blower of your choice. You'd be flat out amazed how hard the two M90 cars we've done recently pull, especially since it comes on not much over idle. The DOB kit is another great option that will not disappoint.
The key to being happy, map out a plan that includes your budget and end goal on h/p and torque and move forward from there.

As the owner of one of those recent builds I can vouch for the PD Blower set up. I was fortunate enough to do the PD and 3.73 at the same time and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the stock/mildly modded NA set up and the PD set up. Let's just say from a roll, 60 to Impounded comes on in what seems lke a blink. The torque is amazing and a little scary all at the same time.

mavrrrick
11-15-2016, 02:31 PM
As the owner of one of those recent builds I can vouch for the PD Blower set up. I was fortunate enough to do the PD and 3.73 at the same time and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference between the stock/mildly modded NA set up and the PD set up. Let's just say from a roll, 60 to Impounded comes on in what seems lke a blink. The torque is amazing and a little scary all at the same time.

If you don't mind can you PM me cost.

mavrrrick
11-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Need to know how much a$$ kissing the wife i have to do....lol

mavrrrick
11-15-2016, 02:34 PM
At least I'm honest. :choke:

newbiestangowner
11-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Need to know how much a$$ kissing the wife i have to do....lol

At least I'm honest. :choke:

lol- I've been doing that this year and probably more over the winter- don't think its going to work :crying:

ZR
11-15-2016, 06:07 PM
The engine / trans and supercharger set up Stephen went with (super clean 70k engine / trans and all but zero mileage blower), was for sale in the buy and sell here for a period of time. Came out of Garys car we are doing the 5.0 blower build on.
Just like Monera's car, target was in the 400/400 range, M90 was a perfect choice. If you watch the US boards, I'm sure another one will come up. If your looking for more power, Whipple kit is dam bomb as is the DOB kit.

tulowd
11-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Once you have the full build cost in mind, take a look at upgrading to a 2011 or newer Coyote 5.0 with over 400 hp. Interior is a little nicer too and will likely/possibly include some factory updates in terms of handling, bigger brakes etc.
Then put a blower on that baby.... :)

Stephen06GT
11-15-2016, 08:40 PM
If you don't mind can you PM me cost.

My experience was a little different as I lucked into a complete motor that already had the blower on it.

mavrrrick
11-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Just tossing things out there...would I feel more of a "pull" with 3:73 gears?

mavrrrick
11-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Just tossing things out there...would I feel more of a "pull" with 3:73 gears?

Would I notice a difference?

AKAFISH
11-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Hey Jeff, in the spring you can swing bye my place and ask my neighbour about his 06 GT with LTH's, Cams, Boss intake, UD pullies, full exhaust, TB...sounds awesome and yes if you get 373's you will notice a difference...

RedSN
11-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Would I notice a difference?

Did I miss somewhere what gear you have now?
A 3.55 to a 3.73 is not going to be that noticeable.
A 3.55 to a 4.10 will be a much bigger kick in the pants.

mavrrrick
11-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Hey Jeff, in the spring you can swing bye my place and ask my neighbour about his 06 GT with LTH's, Cams, Boss intake, UD pullies, full exhaust, TB...sounds awesome and yes if you get 373's you will notice a difference...
Sounds good...putting him away on Saturday. .😖

Did I miss somewhere what gear you have now?
A 3.55 to a 3.73 is not going to be that noticeable.
A 3.55 to a 4.10 will be a much bigger kick in the pants.

mavrrrick
11-16-2016, 08:36 PM
^^^ don't want 4:10... To high rpm on highways...jmo

Ray721
11-18-2016, 09:52 AM
I chased Power with 2006 GT. Long tubes, intake, pulleys, tune etc. Wasn't happy. Got walked by a Coyote that was 3 days old with zero work done to it. I bought my 2014 less than a year after that and haven't regretted it since. Better power, drivability, interior, brakes.

If power is the end goal save your money because you just won't get it N/A. You need boost. M90, Whipple, TVS. I'm currently dreaming of boosting my 5.0. I started to chase power with it then remembered my previous mistake. Mustangs cost way to much to make power without boost so I stopped.

Right now all I have is a CAI and a Catback and it's putting down 406HP/385TQ AND I NEED MOAR lol. It never ends [emoji1]