PDA

View Full Version : F-ing impaired drivers.

ZR
11-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Police have identified the victim of a deadly crash near Cambridge on Sunday as a 29-year-old mother from London.
According to police, at around 8:30 p.m., a couple, their infant son and the child’s grandmother were travelling on Highway 7/8 near Trussler Road in Wilmot, Ont. when their car was rear-ended by another vehicle.
Police say the baby’s mother Susana Dumitru was critically injured in the collision and was rushed to hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.
RELATED STORIES

Woman dead, baby critical after collision west of Kitchener (http://www.cp24.com/news/woman-dead-baby-critical-after-collision-west-of-kitchener-1.3179479)

PHOTOS
http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3181118.1480386574!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3181118.1480386574!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Razvan Dumitru, left, his wife Susana, and their son George are seen in this undated photograph. (Facebook)

http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3180438.1480363547!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3180438.1480363547!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Ahmed Darwish appears in court in this sketch Monday November 28, 2016.

http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3179776.1480342408!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_225/image.jpg (http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3179776.1480342408!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg)

Police investigate a fatal collision on highway 7/8 near Trussler Road in Wilmot, Ont. Sunday November 27, 2016.

The woman’s two-month-old son George suffered critical head injuries and was rushed to SickKids, where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
The woman's husband, Razvan, and her mother-in-law suffered minor injuries following the crash.
A 26-year-old man has been charged in connection with the crash.
Ahmed Darwish faces one count of dangerous driving causing death, two counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm, one count of impaired driving causing death, two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm, one count of failure to provide a breath sample and one count of failure to submit a drug evaluation.
He made an appearance in a Kitchener courtroom Monday for a bail hearing and will remain in custody until his next court date on Dec. 5.
Investigators are encouraging anyone with information about the incident to contact Cambridge OPP.

ZR
11-29-2016, 07:58 AM
As a kid, drunk driving n crashes related to it were ridiculously common. As years passed, awareness and social pressure saw it decline significantly, whats changed that it's become all too common again? Similar spike in alcohol consumption with snowmobilers (is it just as bad with boaters?).

baddbullitt
11-29-2016, 08:13 AM
Quite sickening that in today's age there are still drunk drivers out there... So sad for that girls and her family. R.I.P.

Scrape
11-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Oh my. When I heard that I was so shocked. Downtown last night the same thing happened. Please stop drinking and driving everyone.

5.4MarkVIII
11-29-2016, 09:59 AM
As a kid, drunk driving n crashes related to it were ridiculously common. As years passed, awareness and social pressure saw it decline significantly, whats changed that it's become all too common again? Similar spike in alcohol consumption with snowmobilers (is it just as bad with boaters?).

I wonder if it's linked to the self entitlement that's all too common.
See that same thing with drugs and so many other things. "I want to do it so screw the law and screw anyone else it's my right to do what I want"

Biz
11-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Its been really bad here lately.

Last Thursday a older lady on her way to deliver papers was sitting at a red light at 3am when a drunk, punk ass 23 yr old came blasting thru the red and hit her straight on. She died at the scene.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/24/woman-killed-in-head-on-crash-in-london-ont

Mothers Against Drunk Driving say they aren’t surprised by a recent spike in impaired driving cases.

In London specifically there were 11 cases where impaired driving was believed to be a factor since last Thursday, including fatal collision that took the life of a 60-year-old woman at Richmond and Sunningdale.

Then on Sunday night, a 29-year-old London woman was killed and her infant son critically wounded in a crash just west of Kitchener. The suspect in that case faces a number of charges including impaired driving causing death.

MADD spokesperson Sean Dechene told AM980 it’s a tragic reminder that impaired driving has always been dangerous, and will remain so.

“The fact that someone’s life was taken from them, it further drives home a sense of realism. We need to be forward looking to the future, support victims and make sure within our community we have a support system in place so when these tragedies do happen we can help in whatever way we can.”

It was only eight days ago that the annual Festive R.I.D.E. program by police began. The program runs from November 21st to January 7th, 2017.

Impaired driving is a leading criminal cause of death in Canada.

London Police Sgt. Amanda Pfeffer told AM980 people need to take responsibility and make sure they’re being proactive.

“The most important tool in our toolbox in relation to prevention impaired driving is to encourage individuals to plan ahead. Time and again we see impaired drivers explaining that they anticipate that they would drive, that they didn’t have another option to get home. Make those arrangements before you consume alcohol and you’re far less likely to make poor choices.”

In the most recent case, OPP say the 29-year-old victim was killed and her two-month-old son was critically injured in the collision on Highway 7/8 in Wilmot Township Sunday night.

Investigators say the woman was pronounced dead in hospital, and her baby was airlifted to a trauma centre with life-threatening injuries.

Due to a court publication ban, neither the mother nor the child can be identified.

Police say 26 year old Ahmed Darwish of Kitchener is facing several charges including impaired driving causing death, fail to provide a breath sample causing bodily harm and dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death.

Last Thursday, 60-year-old Thorndale native Gloria Chivers was killed in a crash in the intersection at Richmond and Sunningdale. 23-year-old Jinghao Zhou, of London is facing a number of charges including impaired driving causing death.

Zhou is scheduled to appear at a bail hearing at the London courthouse Tuesday morning.

Dechene said they won’t stop telling people about the dangers of drinking and driving.

“Keep driving home the message that it is 100% preventable and there is no excuse that warrants drinking and driving. There’s always alternate available routes, there’s taxi’s, there’s designated driving services, there’s many options and we want to continue to drive that education home.”

WTF
11-29-2016, 11:38 AM
As a kid, drunk driving n crashes related to it were ridiculously common. .

I remember when drinking and driving meant you had a cold one in your hand and the open case was on the floor behind the driver's seat....and if the cops pulled you over...they took your beer and sent you home

I wonder if the 20-somethings today are double-impaired

1) they drank too much
2) they can't seem to take their blurred vision off their fucking phone

not suggesting being ripped behind the wheel isn't completely idiotic by itself....but if today's young-and-dumb are upping the anti by throwing the phone issue into the mix as well....that's flying completely blind

I don't drink and drive....it's the easiest thing not to do....and I don't even have a cell phone....so I try to minimize my potential level of full retard before I get behind the wheel....and I wish everyone else would do the same

92redragtop
11-29-2016, 12:54 PM
I wonder if he was drunk and texting to rear end the victim's car? Was she wearing a seatbelt?

ZR
11-29-2016, 02:15 PM
From the hazy picture, very little left of the back half of the car.

SVOMACH1
11-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Fucking assholes! The laws are too lenient for these murderers. Maybe if they would implement the death penalty for drunk drivers/texting causing death, these cases would be less frequent. Just my 2 cents.

92redragtop
11-29-2016, 02:55 PM
From the hazy picture, very little left of the back half of the car.

Yeah, you're right - hard hit like he didn't even brake and was going fast. I had a transport truck with full container load rear end my old Volvo and didn't have that much damage. Her husband and mother in laws injuries were not as bad which is why I was wondering about the seatbelt (unless she was in the back seat with the baby).

My sister-in-law in from India and she does not like to wear her seatbelt - I've refused to move the car in the past until she puts it on (not used 100% of the time in some foreign countries).

ZR
11-29-2016, 03:26 PM
^ Exactly.

RedSN
11-29-2016, 03:46 PM
I wonder if he was drunk and texting to rear end the victim's car?

Drunk guy is more likely to fall asleep at the wheel versus text.

ZR
12-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Police say one male driver is in custody after a single-car collision in Summerhill this morning.
It happened shortly after 3:30 a.m. in the area of Yonge and Roxborough streets.
The driver of the vehicle struck a light pole in the area and police say he may have been impaired at the time of the crash. He was arrested at the scene.
No injuries were reported.
Police say the collision appears to be affecting traffic signals in the area and crews are working to repair the issue.

http://www.cp24.com/polopoly_fs/1.3192850.1481105740!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpg

Harbinger
12-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Last night about 12am i saw 2 separate collisions. One of them was at Bathurst and Steeles

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

92redragtop
12-07-2016, 02:40 PM
This crash occurred on Highway 50 on Monday morning and while the police were investigating the crash site a drunk driver drove through their yellow tape - late morning!

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1009955&playlistId=1.3190109&binId=1.815892&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=2

Biz
12-07-2016, 04:50 PM
As someone who dated a girl who got caught driving under the influence I can tell you that your life gets turned upside down if you get caught.
There's no reason to drive impaired. The end result is life changing. Both financially and mentally but yet people still do it.
You can pretty much guarantee a year without driving and $1000's out of pocket after lawyers, fines and interlock.
Even with the best lawyer you're still gonna feel it.
Seems this year is worse then previous years. You'd think it would get better, not worse.

In response to a series of suspected impaired driving collisions, including one on Western campus Wednesday night that left an 18-year-old woman in critical condition, an official with MADD Canada says more needs to be done to keep those who are impaired from getting behind the wheel.

Wednesday night’s collision remains under investigation by police, but multiple charges, including impaired operation causing bodily harm and having in excess of 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, have been laid against a 24-year-old London man.

The collision comes less than two weeks after a fatal collision in Vaughan that left three young children and their 65-year-old grandfather dead. A 29-year-old man is facing a dozen counts of impaired driving in the collision.

The spate of impaired driving incidents puts current legislation into question, says Mary Rodrigues, President of MADD Canada’s London chapter, who notes other developed countries, like Germany, have taken different approaches to impaired driving.

“Their (Germany’s) alcohol consumption is more than double ours, and yet only 9% of their total collisions involve alcohol or drugs,” said Rodrigues on The Craig Needles Show Thursday. “And yet, in Canada, 40% of our collisions involve alcohol and/or drugs.”

A 2013 report from MADD Canada says, in 2008, Canada’s per capita rate of alcohol-related crash deaths was more than five times that of Germany, even though their alcohol consumption was higher than Canada’s.

According to statistics from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Canada’s alcohol consumption in 2008 was 8.2 Liters per capita while Germany’s was 11.4.

The report said while Canadians tended to drink less than residents from other comparable countries, they were far more likely to be killed in an alcohol-related crash.

Rodrigues said mandatory roadside screenings, which are in place in parts of Europe and Australia, should be introduced in Canada.

“In those countries, it’s proven to deter impaired driving causing death by 15-20%,” said Rodrigues.

“Right now, police officers can’t do roadside screenings without seeing signs of impairment. That’s not always the case, especially with long-term alcoholics.”

In Germany, if drivers are caught driving at 0.11%, their licence is taken away for at least six months, usually a year. For 0.16% or higher, the driver will have their license taken away for a year, and in order to get it back, have to pass a successful Medical Psychological Assessment (MPU).

The Assessment involves drivers having to prove they have been sober for at least a year with test administrators measuring liver function levels and conducting random urine screenings. In some cases, special courses are also required.

“It’s their laws, it’s their social acceptability, it’s their education, it’s putting programs in place to give drivers other options to get home,” said Rodrigues, who lost her four-month-old son in an impaired driving collision on Thanksgiving 2008.

“The driver in our case, that hit us, she was going maybe five minutes to her desired location. Five minutes. And she thought it was acceptable, and in the process my son died, and we have to live with that.”

In statistics released Thursday by the OPP, as of October 4th, impaired driving has been blamed as a factor in 29 road deaths on OPP-patrolled roads so far in 2015.

Speed and distracted driving were factors in 48 deaths each, while improper seatbelt use was a factor in 45 deaths.

RedSN
12-07-2016, 05:26 PM
“Their (Germany’s) alcohol consumption is more than double ours, and yet only 9% of their total collisions involve alcohol or drugs,” said Rodrigues on The Craig Needles Show Thursday. “And yet, in Canada, 40% of our collisions involve alcohol and/or drugs.”
This proves that German drunk drivers are MUCH better than Canadian drunk drivers. We need more education.

“Right now, police officers can’t do roadside screenings without seeing signs of impairment. That’s not always the case, especially with long-term alcoholics.”
If someone isn't showing signs of impairment, are they really impaired?

ZR
12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
As someone who dated a girl who got caught driving under the influence I can tell you that your life gets turned upside down if you get caught.
There's no reason to drive impaired. The end result is life changing. Both financially and mentally but yet people still do it.
You can pretty much guarantee a year without driving and $1000's out of pocket after lawyers, fines and interlock.
Seems this year is worse then previous years. You'd think it would get better, not worse.

I also dated someone that got caught driving impaired. To say it turned her life upside down is an understatement, last person in the world I ever expected to drive after drinking.

billcaitken
12-07-2016, 07:07 PM
should be zero tolerance if you are caught....no exceptions. my wife lost her sister and her new brother in law to be on her birthday almost 19 years ago by a so called friend driving impaired that was supposed to be the designated driver. how does someone or a family ever get over that?

WTF
12-07-2016, 07:38 PM

I also dated someone that got caught driving impaired. To say it turned her life upside down is an understatement, last person in the world I ever expected to drive after drinking.

I have a sibling (14 months older than me) who has allowed irresponsible alcohol consumption in his life to essentially render his last 30ish years as a waste of space.....lost count but it was either 4 or 5 DUIs.....I bailed him out once and let him know I wasn't doing it again

him - no licence, no car, no assets worth anything, marriage gone done the shitter, kids who don't talk to their father, bad teeth and an overall look that says holy fuck you abused your body....and now no job and no prospects....and a strange entitlement that thinks public transit and any regular joe-job that helps contribute is beneath him...as he moved back in 18 months ago with his mum while his 50s start to click by at light speed

me - I took about half of what he pissed down the drain to own my house outright, do all the renos....live a half decent life with a lovely wife and some pretty cool extras.....and we're not done yet......and I've enjoyed many cold but responsible beers along the way

not driving drunk is the easiest fucking thing you can do.....and if you don't think it can or will completely fuck up your life, then I could tell you otherwise.....I could write a fucking book

ZR
12-09-2016, 07:56 AM
A 23-year-old man was rushed to hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries after a possible impaired driving crash in Scarborough early Friday morning.
Police say that the man was travelling at a high rate of speed near Kingston Road and Old Kingston Road at around 3 a.m. when he lost control of his vehicle, clipped a power pole and then slammed into a nearby used car dealership.
The driver was initially trapped in his vehicle and had to be freed by Toronto Fire Services.
Police say that the driver is being investigated for impaired operation of a motor vehicle. Officers were seen removing beer cans from the vehicle early Friday morning.
There is a power outage in the surrounding area as a result of the crash; however it is not immediately clear how many people it is affecting.