Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '90 fox - Should I keep my airbag steering wheel/cruise control...?

I'd also suspect you'd be hard pressed to find a shop willing to remove because of liability issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperGT View Post
    a 25 year old airbag is most likely outright dangerous.
    An explosion in front of your face is outright dangerous. But I agree, a 25 y/o device is likely suspect at best.

I would replace the entire column with an older one. But I'd be interested in resolving the insurance issue. If insured under a classic insurance, they might be more understanding of the steering column mod, especially since a new one is not available. They may increase your premium though, being that the vehicle is now "less safe" (and I use the term less safe very loosely).
    -Don____________

To be honest, I never even thought about the insurance side...I mostly was looking to do it to get a more "Racecar" look.. and ditch my tattered steering wheel. I've looked up a couple other threads on various forums and it seems if its not a dedicated track car, most people frown on it. I cant even use the weight reduction excuse because total weight of all the parts removed seems to be only around 5-7lbs..! I really thought it would be more! I'm thinking now I might just save up and buy a new airbag wheel from LRS....Its expensive, but I guess I'll just make sure everything works (airbag, cruise and horns) and keep it.

stangstevers
    In some instruction manuals, they say the air bag system should be inspected after 10 years or so. But the worst is the powder isn't as potent as it was when new so the delay may be a tad worse... Chances are the wiring connections are dirty or rusted.

Personally, I'd leave it and make sure your seating position doesn't put your face too close to the wheel.

hope the bag doesn't deteriorate over the years.

Why not swap out a newer column and wheel from a 99-04 and get tilt, cruise and retain an air bag?
    FABMAN

^ Not a pleasant swap into a fox.