Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Rims & Brembo calipers

Denny

Winter Rims & Brembo calipers

Looking for feedback. I got a set of steely's with Yoka IG20's 215-65-17. I completely forgot that I have the track package and when I went to fit the front, the tires wouldn't spin in the air which I found odd and that's when it hit me. So, I fit the rear's and called it a day. My question for the club is... can I get spacers and save myself or am I in for a pricey fix? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Looking for feedback. I got a set of steely's with Yoka IG20's 215-65-17. I completely forgot that I have the track package and when I went to fit the front, the tires wouldn't spin in the air which I found odd and that's when it hit me. So, I fit the rear's and called it a day. My question for the club is... can I get spacers and save myself or am I in for a pricey fix? Thanks!
    It would help to know which year we are dealing with, and then hopefully FastEd will chime in to confirm, but I think you're in for a "pricey fix". I have a an 06 GT that will hopefully be getting a front brake upgrade to larger rotors,that are not as big as track pack ones, and I know that 18" wheels are the minimum size to clear. Good luck.

If you're talking 2011-2014 GT, 17" doesn't even clear the base brakes ... those only fit V6 or 05-10 GT. With Track Pack you need at least 18" in alloy with very generous spoke clearance to the calipers. If you don't want to spend the money on new, then you'll have to find someone with used aftermarket wheels that are known to clear. The Ford OEM S197 18" alloys do not clear, other than the factory GT-500 wheels which are wider than preferred for mounting winter tires.

Fastco Wheels from Quebec have a couple of 18x8" wheels with a winter-rated finish that will clear the Brembo brakes, and that width is perfect for putting 235/50R18 winter boots on. Pricing would be about $800 for the set of wheels. I can get those for you through Parkway Ford if you're interested. The other option we could try is the 2015-up 18" wheels, they fit over the S550 base brakes which are similar size to the S197 Brembos ... but the rotor hat is a bit deeper on the new cars which pushes the wheel out a bit further in relation to the caliper giving more clearance. Those would be around $200 each as well.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Denny
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    If you're talking 2011-2014 GT, 17" doesn't even clear the base brakes ... those only fit V6 or 05-10 GT. With Track Pack you need at least 18" in alloy with very generous spoke clearance to the calipers. If you don't want to spend the money on new, then you'll have to find someone with used aftermarket wheels that are known to clear. The Ford OEM S197 18" alloys do not clear, other than the factory GT-500 wheels which are wider than preferred for mounting winter tires.

Fastco Wheels from Quebec have a couple of 18x8" wheels with a winter-rated finish that will clear the Brembo brakes, and that width is perfect for putting 235/50R18 winter boots on. Pricing would be about $800 for the set of wheels. I can get those for you through Parkway Ford if you're interested. The other option we could try is the 2015-up 18" wheels, they fit over the S550 base brakes which are similar size to the S197 Brembos ... but the rotor hat is a bit deeper on the new cars which pushes the wheel out a bit further in relation to the caliper giving more clearance. Those would be around $200 each as well.

cheers
    Ed
    Thanks Fast Ed! Sorry... It's '14 GT These are the wheels I have: ALY3862HH Smoked Hyper Silver #BR3Z1007E Size: 19x9
    Lugs: 5
    I've been driving with the 17" steels since last night although a little wavy ride, they seem to be ok. Am I ok to keep driving on them? I've got an extremely tight budget. The options you listed are great but won't happen any time soon unfortunately. I should have done my homework first. *$#@&!!!
    Bolt Pattern: 4.5 Inch
    Offset: 42mm
    Ford Part Number: BR3Z1007E, BR331007BA or BR331007BB

I wouldn't recommend driving around with only 2 winter tires on a modern car that has ABS, traction control, and stability control. Those systems are looking at individual wheels for slippage compared to the other 3, and having much more grip on the rear of the car just means at some point you'll get moving well enough that you won't be able to stop or turn when needed. With the Brembo package your factory tires are summer use only, not all-season, and they basically turn in to pucks this time of year. Even on dry pavement they will have limited traction.

On a budget my suggestion would be a set of 4 used winter tires on your factory 19" wheels. I just did a quick search on kijiji and there are several sets for sale in the $450 - $500 range. Your factory size is 255/40R19, for winters go to 245/45R19 which is the OEM Mustang non-Brembo size ... a bit narrower than stock is typically better for winter use when you have an optional factory size.

Denny
    I wouldn't recommend driving around with only 2 winter tires on a modern car that has ABS, traction control, and stability control. Those systems are looking at individual wheels for slippage compared to the other 3, and having much more grip on the rear of the car just means at some point you'll get moving well enough that you won't be able to stop or turn when needed. With the Brembo package your factory tires are summer use only, not all-season, and they basically turn in to pucks this time of year. Even on dry pavement they will have limited traction.

On a budget my suggestion would be a set of 4 used winter tires on your factory 19" wheels. I just did a quick search on kijiji and there are several sets for sale in the $450 - $500 range. Your factory size is 255/40R19, for winters go to 245/45R19 which is the OEM Mustang non-Brembo size ... a bit narrower than stock is typically better for winter use when you have an optional factory size.
    You're dead on... and I can't say I didn't know that. I guess I was hoping for someone to tell me that I could simply buy a set of spacers for the front and be done with it. The guy I bought the set from on Friday agreed to take them back after having concern of whether or not they would fit over the brembo's. He said he had a '14 GT with track package and didn't have an issue with it. Found out after the fact that he had a V6. Now he reneged on the agreement. So SOOL. Thanks for the feedback bud! I appreciate it! Denny.

There was a performance package available on the late S197 V6 cars that included summer only 19" tires, basically the same rubber that you have but squeezed on to 8.5" wheels for some reason. Those cars had the old 05-10 GT brakes, so yes 17" would go over them. No way that spacers are going to make 17" steel wheels clear 14" Brembo brakes unfortunately.

Denny
    There was a performance package available on the late S197 V6 cars that included summer only 19" tires, basically the same rubber that you have but squeezed on to 8.5" wheels for some reason. Those cars had the old 05-10 GT brakes, so yes 17" would go over them. No way that spacers are going to make 17" steel wheels clear 14" Brembo brakes unfortunately.
    I took it out tonight... traction is great from the rear but the front takes me where I want to go provided I don't steer or break too hard. I think I'll just look for winter rubber to fit my stock rims until next year. Thanks again bud!

I was lucky enough to find a member selling a set of 2013 GT PP Rims with Winter Tires. Got to try them out, in snow, for the first time this morning. It was great on the main roads. Getting out of the parking lot, see picture, was interesting. The car crawled forward very slowly but it moved. I only had to stop and go a few time. If that amount of snow was on the main roads I would not be going anywhere fast.

2024 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red - Performance Package - Nite Pony Package - Active Exhaust - Recaro Seats - Magneride
    2023 Ford F150 XLT - Agate Black - Powerboost - Black Appearance Package - Black Rhino Atlas Wheels (18X9) - BF Goodrich K02 (275,70,R18)

I would love to say you should do your homework before purchasing rims and tires ....but I did the same thing the first year I had my '90 coupe. My DD gave up the ghost and I had no other option except drive the Mustang. In a panic I picked up a set of winters from a friend of a friend. I put the back wheels on no problem, and then was confused why the fronts wouldn't go on. Apparently 14" rims won't fit over '90 GT brakes.
    -Don____________