Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess better late vs never but WTF took so long?

Post I guess better late vs never but WTF took so long?

Drivers in some jurisdictions may soon find themselves asked by police to volunteer for a saliva test, part of a pilot project aimed at detecting drug-impaired drivers.
    The federal government, the RCMP and a number of police departments across the country will conduct the experiment to see how well certain roadside testing devices work to detect drugs.
    Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says his department and the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators will collaborate with police forces on the project, which will look at how two different devices work under varying weather conditions.
    The "oral fluid" screening systems test saliva for the presence of drugs, including cannabis, cocaine, methamphetamine and opioids.
    The announcement comes a day after a federal task force delivered a series of recommendations about legalizing cannabis and raised questions about detecting drivers impaired by marijuana.
    Police forces in Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax and Gatineau, Que., will take part in the project, along with the Ontario Provincial Police and RCMP detachments in North Battleford, Sask., and Yellowknife.

Will be interesting to see how the new devices work. Great idea.

Not sure about the "WTF took so long", it may just be that the technology wasn't readily available. Also, the risk of impairment may be higher once weed is legal. It might be perceived that if it's legal it's okay to be high out in public ....and on the roads. It could also be about optics: with the looming legalization of pot, it may help calm the public's fear of everybody being high!
    -Don____________

From what I've read, up till recently, was no will to produce a machine. Not like drugs and impaired driving are a new phenomenon.

One issue will be when the test detects THC, in the case of cannabis, what level depicts impairment?

Its .08 for alcohol; just not sure what is the "proper" level for drugs and cannabis. How does the size of the person affect the results....by that I mean 1/2 a glass of wine (cheap drunk )and my wife wouldn't be able to do anything, but likely wouldn't be over the limit.

^ Absolutely.
    They have the limit for driving so screwed up now few if any have any idea how much they can safely consume with dinner. Rule in our house, if your behind the wheel, zero.

Another problem with weed is.. smoke now and drive 3-4 hours later and the chances of this machine detecting it is high. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    ^ Absolutely.
    They have the limit for driving so screwed up now few if any have any idea how much they can safely consume with dinner. Rule in our house, if your behind the wheel, zero.
    This should be the rule in every house Rick. Its the rule in mine as well.

Wish more would take it to heart but in the end decision falls on the individuals shoulders. On the flip side, see nothing wrong with those that can control themselves n have a single beer or glass of wine with dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Another problem with weed is.. smoke now and drive 3-4 hours later and the chances of this machine detecting it is high. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trick will be, them accurately figuring out at what level you meet the criteria of impaired.

Why does impairment have to be associated with a fixed number? whether is be alcohol or drugs or sleep or other....
    I know I know, it's easier for the courts and it takes the judgement out of the officer's responsibility, but can't an officer 'tell' when you are incapable of operating a motorized vehicle? What ever happened to good 'ol policing?
    -Don____________