Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Timmins Water

Timmins Water

Oldest water in the world found in Ontario by U of T scientists.
    The findings stem from the researchers' earlier exploration of water in the same active copper, zinc and silver mine in 2013.
    Geochemical analyses of the water at a depth of 2.4 kilometres showed it was a billion years old.

In the team’s latest work, published Thursday in the journal Nature Communications, Long Li, now an assistant professor at the University of Alberta, collected samples of the ancient water from boreholes at the Kidd mine, near Timmins, Ont.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...dest-1.3898740

Maybe not the most fascinating scientific discovery, but I found it intriguing because I used to work at the Kidd Creek mine in the engineering department. It's a really unique experience to travel 6,000 feet below ground. And now they are pushing the 9,600 level. Mining at that depth is done by operating the equipment remotely from the surface, because getting miners down that deep (and back up again) would eat up their entire shift. To give you an idea of how deep that is, they have a scale model of the mine in the lobby.

The orange line in that model is the ramp. I rode shotgun in a Dodge Ram down that ramp one day. It was more exciting than any ride at Canada's Wonderland.
    -Don____________

not sure why the dome is open...not even anybody playing...

this is actually very cool though Don, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

Takes way less time in a Mustang.