Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 stereo upgrade advice please

2006 stereo upgrade advice please

Toying with the idea of upgrading the tunes in my 06. Current Shaker 500 is meh, ok but wouldn't mind some improvement.

Not looking for the ultimate, just notably better than OEM.

6x8 suggestions

8" door suggestions. Replacement options are complicated here due to mounting depth and oem amp impedance

HU suggestions. I'd kind of like a touch screen that can run OBDll apps

Truck sub, are they worth it? Heavy, expensive, bulky

First step is replace the factory radio, system is quite a bit better after just that change. Norm and I can both vouch.
    Call me tomorrow and I can make some radio suggestions in exchange for DOB advise.

tulowd
    OEM head unit is too expensive to replace for the gains it will give you.

1) Replace all the speakers with decent separate components, or 2 way coaxials. Solid MDF baffles and Dynamat can make a huge difference here - any rattle or panel motion absorbs sound and reduces the quality. These can only work if the OEM speakers you are replacing are close to 4 ohms (3-6 is usually ok).
    2) Real sub(s), either Bazooka, free air 10's or 12's on a baffle board or a real cabinet.
    3) integrating amps using a line level adaptor like a Cervin Vega is not optimal but will yield decent results for the money and give you tunability, which will make a huge difference, if done correctly. Power and signal distribution, phase alignment and finding the limits are every bit as important as the components. Even OEM systems can benefit from this in many cases.

Between $500 and $1000 should get ya rockin, depending how much you do yourself and whether you're buying used or new equipment.

PM me if you would like to chat on the phone regarding this.

Thanks for the suggestions

After much surfing I think I'll take a phased approach and will try and keep the oem look as much as possible. This way it limits the endless options and I can stop at any point if I'm happy with the results.

Phase one, replace the door and rear deck speaker. Leaning toward Kicker 44KSC68
    Phase two, replace the head unit. No idea here yet but a decent touch screen
    Phase three, replace the door subs. Leaning towards the Kicker 43CWRT81 since it's a plug and play with the oem amps.
    Phase four, a trunk sub. Not sure I'll get here but if I do, will lean towards a vechicle specific solution.

Roushcharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Phase one, replace the door and rear deck speaker. Leaning toward Kicker 44KSC68
    Phase two, replace the head unit. No idea here yet but a decent touch screen
    Phase three, replace the door subs. Leaning towards the Kicker 43CWRT81 since it's a plug and play with the oem amps.
    Phase four, a trunk sub. Not sure I'll get here but if I do, will lean towards a vehicle specific solution.
    Since your looking at Kicker components I'd definitely look at the Kicker VSS SubStage Powered Subwoofer Kit for the 2005-2014 Mustang. Clean look, fits in the corner of the trunk like the Shaker 1000 and will compliment the other Kicker components. Previously owning a 2005 Mustang I'd switch phase 1 and 2. Definitely go with a head unit first. Just IMO though.......

I would have to disagree with the head unit too expensive. I just replaced the head unit in my 06 GT with shaker 1000.

Pioneer Head unit with bluetooth, Ipod, 4V pre outs (3 sets) $200 + tax
    Dash Kit $30
    Harness $25

My shaker 1000 with the new head unit is NIGHT AND DAY. Tremendous difference in quality.

I'd start with the head unit, then the 6x8's which will vary in price. Let's $300 for 4 decent ones from Kicker or Pioneer.
    From there, i'd look at a sub set up for the trunk if you need more bass. The new head unit will allow much more adjustment of the 8" door subs which will clean up the sound quite a bit.

Monera3v
    Door speakers I would recommend the kickers 6x8 ford factory replacements or you might have to replace the amplifier with something a little more powerful if you decided to get more stronger speakers (sound will fold after volume increase and amps cannot push any further)

Door woofers (8" at the bottom) is a Dual 4.6ohm which gives it a final value of 1ohm.
    You need need to purchase a dvc 4ohm 8" sub or woofer in order to replace the door speaker as a single voice coil will only be using half the amps to power the replacement speaker (if u purchase 1 single voice coil @ 1ohm)
    Replacing the factory deck does improve your sound quality and control over digital EQ, that something you would have to look into yourself and see which one suit your needs (usb , navi, touch, eq setting, colors function etcs)

I also have foam baffles on my speakers to create a fake seal in order to increase the frequency response from the speakers treble and bass.

I think Allicedout has a pretty nice oBD2 style HU, might want to ask him how he likes his!

I found these on Amazon.ca...well priced...not sure how much the quality differs from the KS

https://www.amazon.ca/Pairs-KICKER-C...rds=Kicker+6x8

Thanks, great price. The DS model is one notch down from the KS. A good upgrade from oem though.

Given the advice here I think I'll spend some time looking at head unit options first and depending on the $$ will decide on the speakers later.

Al, I'm not going to argue with anyone on here, but the reason I suggest changing the radio first is a speaker can only play the frequencys range that it is sent, in just about every factory sterios factory radios are tuned to optimize sound while preserving the shit paper drivers, this results in cutting bass and built in equilization that may color the sound in a negative way with different drivers. Shit in shit out. If you want more info let me know