Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 stereo upgrade advice please

Thanks Nick. Makes sense.

Time to look for a head unit. So many options I'll really need to think about what features are important to me so I don't break the bank on stuff I'll never use.

tulowd
    The weak link on any OEM sound system are the speakers, as they are typically $3 paper cone junk. At least the head units have some electronics and some semblance of power. The output and digital trickery is not optimized for preserving the crap speakers, but rather tuned to the vehicle, limiting clipping, etc.

The OP also asked for a touch screen, and presumably wants something decent. That is going to cost more than $200 and if you say that running an aftermarket deck into OEM speakers sounds better than doing the reverse, I have to disagree with you, Norm.

After a bit of surfing I've decided the touch screens offer stuff I don't need and yes, they are pricy so a simple mid level 2 DIM CD receiver and 4 Kicker DS or KS68's will fit the bill for now and should make a great improvement for $400-$500.

Too bad they use paper cones. My camry's 18 year old paper cone speakers disintegrated and I literally was forced to get new kenwood 2 way speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    The weak link on any OEM sound system are the speakers, as they are typically $3 paper cone junk. At least the head units have some electronics and some semblance of power. The output and digital trickery is not optimized for preserving the crap speakers, but rather tuned to the vehicle, limiting clipping, etc.

The OP also asked for a touch screen, and presumably wants something decent. That is going to cost more than $200 and if you say that running an aftermarket deck into OEM speakers sounds better than doing the reverse, I have to disagree with you, Norm.
    My bad Paul! I didn't see the note on touch screen....so ya...a nice touch screen head unit will be $500 or more. And Paul is right about the speakers, but I still think a new head unit will make the most significant impact.

I am probably going to pick up those Kicker 6x8's then when I install them, add some sound deadening in the doors and perhaps in the rear parcel shelf. Pretty sure ill be happy at that point and have about $600 into everything.

tulowd
    Good paper cone speakers sound much better than poly or carbon, other than tweeters, which are ideally carbon or soft dome.

Good move on Uncle Buck, that should be a good combo - make sure the speakers are installed solidly and Dynamat everything near them.

My 2004 F150 had the OEM head unit with a $25 line level adaptor, M&M/Amega separates and coaxes, a bridged 3 channel Alphasonik amp and a single 12 in a box. Granted, I have the equipment, so it would cost maybe $800 on Kijiji or $1200 buying smart new.
    Louder and sounded cleaner and better than any OEM and most aftermarket installs I've heard; and the stock radio remained in place.

Kenwood 9903s is amazing uses your phone's maps gps and displays it. Costs 850 taxes in i have it in my mach 1

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hey Uncle Buck not sure if you picked up a new head unit yet. I just installed a new one in my 02 GT the fit is great and made a huge improvement compared to ths oem unit. The head unit I got is a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. All that I expected and more,and the price was great. Around 500.00 out the door. Might even be less now.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    ...in just about every factory sterios factory radios are tuned to optimize sound while preserving the shit paper drivers, this results in cutting bass and built in equilization that may color the sound in a negative way with different drivers.
    I would argue the opposite. The factory stereo is likely a truer output than the over equalized aftermarket deck. Victim of the "Loudness Wars" as described by Alan Cross.

I agree with Paul: start with quality speakers.
    -Don____________

In both my 96 and 06, head unit change only yielding significant improvements. Ideally, headunit and speakers.