Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2006 stereo upgrade advice please

tulowd
    I would say that compression and the crappy MP3 sources are hard at work here. OEM equalization used to be tuned to the car interior, the newer stuff certainly has max volume levels way below what they should have; telling me they compress and limit dynamics.
    This is overcome by summing the channels together and running the amplifier with a higher input sensitivity setting.

At he end of the day, the power and output of OEM radios/amps is much superior than their speakers, which continue to be a total joke.
    My '14 FX4 came with the Sony 700W upgrade which is better than standard, but the electronic know it all's of compression and contouring really make for a poor experience. Play loud for a bit and it seems like the power level drops once the amps get hot. At low volumes, the sound quality is ok, but certainly not for the cost of the add-on plus the original radio - I'll be summing all 8 channels into a Cervin Vega Pre amplifier and then running a fancy electronic crossover (Audio Control or Pioneer CD1000!!!) and a few amps.....plus of course all new speakers.

The factory sub is a real piece of shit, too small a box with an 8", nut adds bass at low volume levels, especially with the windows open. That can be improved by adding some damping material inside, but I haven't gone there yet.

Something about a car I'm supposed to be building?

Found a source for gear with prices well below anything in Canada even after the ride, exchange etc

AudioSaving.com from NY
    They sell direct off their site as well as via eBay. Shipping is reasonable.

I validated them as a legit dealer on a couple of manufacturer sites.

I just ordered some quality component 5.25" for the front doors.

Local pricing $338 tax in.
    AudioSavings price $175 CAD all in to my door

Worth a look

Bumping this thread again. Since the original post I installed Rockford Fosgate Punch (called Power now) component door speakers and a pair of 3 way 6x8's on the rear deck. These are a step up from the Prime entry level speakers.

Definitely cleaner sound but almost too bright/harsh in the front. I'm not too happy with the way it sounds so I guess the next step is a head unit since I want to stream music anyway.

I don't need GPS and I'm not overly fussed about Apple Play etc, but I do use Spotify on my phone for tunes in my daily driver so it needs to support that. A backup camera would be handy but not mandatory.

For about the same money I can get either a better non-touch screen unit or an entry level touch screen. Budget is $400 max.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated which way to go and any model ideas.

Hi Uncle Buck with all the new stereo components I installed, the best upgrade was dynamat. I removed all the interior and covered every where i could. All i can say is wow what a difference in sound quality using half the volume that i used to. For speakers I used JBL 5x7 component set front and same for rear deck,1 10 inch JL audio sub box for the trunk and it sounds great.

Try looking in the Pioneer AVH head units they have more than you are looking for and are probably in that price range.

Ran this johnny in my old truck, worked great for the price and no issues with SQ in a budget system

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130501...AVH-501EX.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Al if it were me
    I'd do something similar to this
    https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_1301400...H-1400NEX.html

App radio (either car play or android auto) will give you gps for your road trips and I find pioneer has some of the easiest to use radios.
    I've got an older model in mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions folks

I think a little dynamat and a Car Play deck is in my near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions folks

I think a little dynamat and a Car Play deck is in my near future.
    Look up Noico on amazon, I have some waiting to go in both cars and I believe Lisa used the same in her fox

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The stuff I used is Stinger roadkill good quality and price. Check Amazon.