Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LX to GT conversion?

Paulee

LX to GT conversion?

Hey guys!

I was hoping someone could give me some insight to how extensive the work and cost would be to convert my 1993 LX convertible to the GT package. Always loved the way it looked.

Any info is much appreciated

It's a bit of work and requires drilling into the body to mount the tracks for the skirts, really if you like the GT you'd be better off to sell or trade yours for a GT as most people prefer the look of the LX.

Paulee
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    It's a bit of work and requires drilling into the body to mount the tracks for the skirts, really if you like the GT you'd be better off to sell or trade yours for a GT as most people prefer the look of the LX.
    It probably would make sense to trade it or sell it for a GT but this car has sentimental value which I why I would rather convert it than sell it

That's understandable. What you'll need is a complete GT for parts, or to buy all the GT skirts yourself and install them, this will require a GT front and rear fascia, fog lamps and mounting plate assy, skirt supports front and rear, skirts, mounting tracks and rivets, and front fender extensions, I may be missing some small parts but that's probably a pretty complete guess as to what's needed. Figure this stuff will cost you anywhere from $250 on up depending on the quality, if you're handy you could do it yourself most likely.
    Honestly if it was me I'd buy a cheap junk GT and strip it, they can usually be found cheap if you're quick, and I believe I read your car was a 4cyl, which you wanted to convert? In that case a running GT would be worth up to $1000 and you could pilfer all the parts you need to turn your car into a legit GT.

Paulee
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    That's understandable. What you'll need is a complete GT for parts, or to buy all the GT skirts yourself and install them, this will require a GT front and rear fascia, fog lamps and mounting plate assy, skirt supports front and rear, skirts, mounting tracks and rivets, and front fender extensions, I may be missing some small parts but that's probably a pretty complete guess as to what's needed. Figure this stuff will cost you anywhere from $250 on up depending on the quality, if you're handy you could do it yourself most likely.
    Honestly if it was me I'd buy a cheap junk GT and strip it, they can usually be found cheap if you're quick, and I believe I read your car was a 4cyl, which you wanted to convert? In that case a running GT would be worth up to $1000 and you could pilfer all the parts you need to turn your car into a legit GT.
    Thats a really good idea, I guess Kijiji would be the best place to start looking for a GT parts car?

In case I went the other route of buying everything part for part, is their a site that sells everything I need or a place in the GTA?

Thanks again

Paulee
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I'm in the "prefer LX" crowd. Lighter, as well as a cleaner look IMO.

Aside from the skirts, bumper covers, and such, all the beltline moulding is different. Good luck finding that stuff for any kind of reasonable price.

If you're intent on spending money on it I'd improve the stock brakes (Cobra brakes) then suspension (go visit Maximum Motorsports web site).

Keeping it stock as is will be cheapest.
    The LX is definitely a cleaner look and lighter as well but to me the GT looks fast just sitting still, always liked them which is prompting me to try this conversion.