Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can I get schooled on 1/4 mile? Tire - Suspension Technique

TurboFox
    holy shit. These were my tires for sale. Dude they were pretty much new and only $260 LOL...what else do you want.

Sure enough they sold to the first person today after I held them all week for you......

And once again...the bias ply ET streets are labelled by section width NOT tread width

A 28x12.5x15 Bias ET Street is the same size as a 28x10x15 ET DRAG.

Monera3v
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    What is your goal ET with the car?
    14680739_685244909604_2796137697956951435_n.jpg
    low 12s?

Monera3v
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboFox View Post
    holy shit. These were my tires for sale. Dude they were pretty much new and only $260 LOL...what else do you want.

Sure enough they sold to the first person today after I held them all week for you......

And once again...the bias ply ET streets are labelled by section width NOT tread width

A 28x12.5x15 Bias ET Street is the same size as a 28x10x15 ET DRAG.
    Yea even thought they were cheap.

Everyone has ruled 28 out an recommend I stay with 26 due to gearing

and its true. anyone running my setup with an s197 is running 26 with stock 3.55 s/c

TurboFox
    Sounds like good research you could do BEFORE committing and having me hold them for a week...

My fault for holding them I guess.

If you're at consistent 13.1's at 108-109mph, then to take a full second off your time that's a call for major changes.

I remember your threads from last summer and I feel the car already has 12.70's or 80's just by cleaning up your burnout, stage and driving including the rpm you leave at.

also, a soft sidewall slick on a stick car will be very hard to handle and harder on the drivetrain, there are guys going high 7's and low 8's on D/R's so at your power levels you can easily still go faster without a slick.

Johnny5.0
    ^^^^...please explain how a soft sidewall type tire is going to be "harder" on a stick cars driveline??

Monera3v
    wrong post (deleted)

My Fox went from 12.9 to 12.1 just using 235/65R15 ET streets vs 275/40R17 Nitto 555R's and disconnecting front sway bar. Sort out your rear end and a good burnout like Darkhorse said should get you mid 12s at least IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5.0 View Post
    ^^^^...please explain how a soft sidewall type tire is going to be "harder" on a stick cars driveline??
    A soft sidewall slick will crinkle more wadding up and even roll over on launch and when banging gears. This will cause the chassis to flex more. A stiffer sidewall slick will provide a bit more damping like your shocks do to keep you a bit more planted, but more chance to spin the tires. A stick car will also be naturally harder on the driveline, it's the same reason IRS cars will wheel hop less and break less half shafts with an auto as compared to a stick.

Johnny5.0
    I agree that a stick car is naturally harder on the drive train than an auto car, but that's why a bias ET Street type tire works better imo. Yes, there's some wrinkle of the sidewall during the launch, but this is what cushions everything from the input shaft back to the axles. At the OP's power level the tire will never wad up or effect/upset the car unless he was to run say 4-6psi which is not required at this power level. It will be a bit of a learning curve to get used to the "sache" of the bias tire down track but that's easily overcome by starting out with a higher psi in the tire and gradually dropping down as the comfort level rises. I don't have any experience with the new MT "R" DRs but I had both BFG and MT DRs and the launch was violent compared to the ET Streets and slower 60' times to boot!! Just my two cents....