Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irrigation systems

03svt

Irrigation systems

Considering having an irrigation system put in this spring, have to put new sod anyways so I figure it's a good time.

Any recommendations?

Doing it yourself? Or having a co. do the design and install?

We had a system installed when we did our landscaping. The planters are on a bubbler (drip) system, and the rest is pop-up spray jets.
    -Don____________

03svt
    I'll have a pro do it Don. It's mostly just my front yard as my back yard is 90% pool haha.

Roushcharged
    I had my front done a few years ago, from my experience this what I'd definitely do...... Layout your own route, a lot of contractors will just take the shortest route which isn't always the best way to go. I'd definitely get the water connection hard lined, I've changed the splitter on my garden tap twice in 6 years due to leaks. Find a good accessible location for control/valve box, you'll need to have easy access for blowing them out in the fall. Not sure if you have a sidewalk around your property but if your concerned with watering the boulevard then don't be....... You'll just end up watering the street (in my case anyways). Do a little research on the different types of sprinkler heads and how they spray. Again this is only based on my experience, my sprinklers shoot water as if I was standing there taking a piss...... Find a good contractor to do it, mine never returned my calls when I had issues but always sent me text message in the fall to set up an appointment to blow out the lines for $40.00. Needless to say I bought my own compressor and do it myself. Anyways I'm sure that's a lot of information, I didn't have the greatest experience so anything I can do to have a member not go through the crap I did. Good luck!

do it yourself. we installed 120 plus heads last summer at our place. just need a trench machine if your lawn is big.

03svt
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    do it yourself. we installed 120 plus heads last summer at our place. just need a trench machine if your lawn is big.
    Hmmm I guess it's something to consider, my front lawn is maybe 30x30 maybe so not a huge space at all.. you've inspired me to look into doing it myself.

Make sure you have the underground utilities located before using a trenching machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    we installed 120 plus heads last summer
    how many holes are on this golf course?
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by 03svt View Post
    Hmmm I guess it's something to consider, my front lawn is maybe 30x30 maybe so not a huge space at all.. you've inspired me to look into doing it myself.
    and we did it it the heat of the summer when the ground was as hard as a rock. every hole we had to use a pick. shovels were useless.
    if you do it in the spring, digging should be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 90LXCoupe View Post
    Make sure you have the underground utilities located before using a trenching machine.
    This but make sure they actually use a locator. Local guy used Ontario one call. And thought they had marked everything. Turns out they only marked the start point for where the 40 plus year old map said the fresh water line was. Turns out the map was wrong and he found this out about 2 feet into his trench when it filled with water. He got stuck with the repair bill too because one call said not their problem he should have called the water utility to confirm.