Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox vs Edge Mustangs

Fox vs Edge Mustangs

I've driven a few foxes from 83, 84 and a pair of 91's but never any of the newer 99-04 Edge mustangs.
    For those of you who have owned and driven both, how do feel they compare for ride, handling, gas mileage,ease of modding etc...?

Wonder how a Mach 1 with a Maximum Motorsports Suspension on it would compare with a Fox with a MM Road and Track suspension for handling?

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

TheMustangShow
    Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMustangShow View Post
    Same thing.
    Do you mean there is no difference between them?

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Suspension, mod for mod, both are equally capable but there is absolutely no comparison in their levels of sophistication n comfort doing it.

I keep thinking of picking up a Mach 1. Either as a partner for the Fox or instead of.

tulowd
    The Fox4 has a 1.5" longer wheelbase and track width, much more sophisticated (yet hideous)interior and is more refined and quiet - when Ford developed this car, a lot of time went into NVH, including softening the suspension appreciably. Still has the ridiculous quadrabind rear suspension, but they did improve the front end, so there is actually some caster present, so it is much more stable and settled down. Aero is better too, but still not ideal.

I've driven modded Foxes for over 30 yrs and had 3 brand new SN95 GTs in 1995 - they rode like a Caddy by comparison, but felt unsporty and lost their raw edge compared to a Fox.

If it was my money, a 1994 or 1995 GT or better yet, a Cobra, to retain the pushrod motor and some semblance of power potential - the 4.6 is anemic, even with the 4 valve heads unless it's built or has a blower......... enter the 03 or 04 Terminator

IRS was introduced in 1999, but they were not exactly revolutionary. Even the 03/04 need a bunch of love in the form of a large check for Full Tilt Boogie bushing kit and labor.

^ You do know a Mach with long tubes n CAI only will dyno around 315-320 at the rear wheels and about the same for torque? OR if you want real jam, only requires a blower swap to jump directly to mid 400's with similar torque. Takes a top end kit plus blower to see a 5.0 into the same numbers. With that as a given, which one wins bang for the buck again? To me it comes down to which engine floats your boat, two totally different ways to make the same kinda jam.
    Cost to mod IRS, falls pretty much dead in line with Panhard / Torque arm combo installed in a solid axle car. Cool part about it though (and why your seeing so many swap them into Fox body's), you can have handling along with a killer ride. Make that application a drag car, solid axle just plain makes more sense.
    Also having owned n driven a whole bunch of both, respect each for what they are but prefer the New Edge with it's sophisticated raw edge vs raw all the time Fox. Cool part, lots of each out there to satisfy what each of us individually like best.

I tend to think that a Mach I with a few power bolt-ons, a full MM set rolled underneath and a good diff would be an awesome fun track day car.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    I tend to think that a Mach I with a few power bolt-ons, a full MM set rolled underneath and a good diff would be an awesome fun track day car.

cheers
    Ed

Yup.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    ^ You do know a Mach with long tubes n CAI only will dyno around 315-320 at the rear wheels and about the same for torque? OR if you want real jam, only requires a blower swap to jump directly to mid 400's with similar torque. Takes a top end kit plus blower to see a 5.0 into the same numbers. With that as a given, which one wins bang for the buck again? To me it comes down to which engine floats your boat, two totally different ways to make the same kinda jam.
    Cost to mod IRS, falls pretty much dead in line with Panhard / Torque arm combo installed in a solid axle car. Cool part about it though (and why your seeing so many swap them into Fox body's), you can have handling along with a killer ride. Make that application a drag car, solid axle just plain makes more sense.
    Also having owned n driven a whole bunch of both, respect each for what they are but prefer the New Edge with it's sophisticated raw edge vs raw all the time Fox. Cool part, lots of each out there to satisfy what each of us individually like best.

The Fox weighs appreciably less and you can do similar power level for less dough than the difference in the base costs and install labour on a Mach. Blower on a Fox is cheaper too and the car will be faster. Way more choices out there, especially in the used department.

But, the ride and experience is something only the OP can really determine what he prefers. Obviously owning a Fox already means he will likely get an SN95 of some kind. Hopefully he will leave the mufflers on it.