Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: c5 vette

HyperGT

c5 vette

Any of you guys have experience with either a c5 or c5Z06 for HPDE days. These seem well priced and may be a better plateform to have fun at the track for decent 17-25k money in stock or near stock form. If i can get over it being a vette ;0

comments?

tulowd
    Drove my Brother-in-Laws 01 Zo6 the week he bought it. 385 hp first year edition. Absolutely mesmerizing performance if you can get over the looks and interior.
    Fast, instantenous response, settled chassis and tremendous brakes. Other than tires and brake pads, they typically require nothing other than maintenance to be a weapon at the track. Modding one is likely to be expensive on all fronts though.

I can only imagine a (slightly) newer one with more power and the appropriate HPDE mods included. Nothing with a Mustang badge is going to be in the same orbit at the same $$, tires and driver. Heard they are bulletproof, and they are very very fast. On aero alone, a Vette will pick up 10 mph on the long straightaways at Mosport with the same power.

A track acquaintance of mine used to run a modded 08 GT; he has since switched to a C5 Zo6 and absolutely loves it. He does something like 20 track days per year and is really serious about it. I'll pm you his email address. He knows of what he speaks and is a car guy first and foremost; calls it like he sees it.
    He is also in tune with a lot of track enthusiasts and can likely connect you with someone looking to sell one.

HyperGT
    thanks Paul was looking at 01-04 models -03 up being better.
    If you could pm me his contacts that would be great. it is more than i wanted to spend for a more dedicated car but may be worth the extra at the front end.
    Kinda like the exterior looks, interior looks like a cavalier.

Got a customer thats owned 2 ZO6s (both 04's) in those years as well as a verty + a coupe and have drove each of the '04s a fair bit. Stock out of the box, impressive ride n handling. Largest upgrade, shocks, shocks and shocks, yes even on a ZO6. Stepping up to coil overs transforms the car. Braking wise, really good stock, Hawks in place of stock pads are money well spend though.
    Biggest thing that happens to them lapping, front wheel bearings. The replacement from GM is good but there are aftermarket versions that stand up even better.

HyperGT
    Thanks Rick I read about the bearings.
    I am all over the map, wifey said just go get the Porsche turbo but I am not sure I can wrap my mind around spending that kind of money and would prefer to keep it reasonable to keep the fun factor high.
    Will keep looking - any other ideas for a track ready lapping day car - not race car- let me know. I will take a look at some of the c5's , wife doesn't like vettes though lol.

They drive extremely well, worth putting your butt in the seat for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by HyperGT View Post
    Thanks Rick I read about the bearings.
    I am all over the map, wifey said just go get the Porsche turbo but I am not sure I can wrap my mind around spending that kind of money and would prefer to keep it reasonable to keep the fun factor high.
    Will keep looking - any other ideas for a track ready lapping day car - not race car- let me know. I will take a look at some of the c5's , wife doesn't like vettes though lol.
    So, your getting the porsche.... right?

Saw a sweeeeet '85 911 crusing yesterday, what a beautiful machine.
    '88 LX

Surprised GforceJunkie hasn't chimed in yet.
    -Don____________

Pretty sure he'll chime in, base C6 is an even better lapping day car. Lots of improvements vs previous gen.

C5's are badazz.

This is just being done as a street beast, but gives you a good idea about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esr7tVdBEKc