Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic income pilot coming to ontario

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Don't get hung up on the specific dollar examples in his response - the concept is accurate and reflects a pre-entitlement and post-entitlement mindset (and maybe post-truth). Too many folks make $30K or $40K and want to live (or think they're entitled to live) an $80K lifestyle without doing what it take to actually have an $80K lifestyle you can afford which might mean choosing continuing education, etc. For the multiple times I offer overtime I only get takers 10% to 15% of the time - I used to jump at the opportunity to make more money and I cannot figure out why my 20-something and some 30-something aged university educated employees won't take the overtime. When I chat with them they might say they want to eventually buy a condo to stop renting or take up photography as a hobby but don't have the money to buy a $500 DSLR - duh! You make $60K annually and I'm going to pay you overtime - it does not take much overtime (maybe skip the $40 bar/food tab and 2 hours with co-workers at the bar across the street on Friday evening and take the damn overtime) and you'll actually get what you say you want. I see our office cleaners surfing their smartphones when they're coming around in the evening - maybe they're secretly millionaires and clean offices for fun but i think they have better data plans and newer phones than I have. New cars, running shoes, fast fashion, $4 coffees, paying for various mobile apps, downloads, subscriptions, etc, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup...
    Holy crap we agree on something. 😂

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Holy crap we agree on something. ��
    LOL!

Getting tired of the entitled bullshit argument. You're assuming people even make close to 30 or 40k think below that. I personally believe 40k is a good amount...But anyways this discussion is becoming circular I've said what I needed to say.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Don't get hung up on the specific dollar examples in his response - the concept is accurate and reflects a pre-entitlement and post-entitlement mindset (and maybe post-truth).
    It will be interesting to see how this experiment works now versus in the 70's. Unfortunately (like most people i think) my faith in humanity has evaporated and I think this new money will be squandered on non-essentials. The term 'essentials' seems to be different today than in the 70's.

The bulk of Mincome participants were in Winnipeg where low-income families were randomly chosen along with a control group. Subsequent studies of that cohort showed most male breadwinners didn’t reduce their work hours due to the extra cash, a key question the pilot project aimed to answer. However, fewer women with young children remained in the workforce.
    -Don____________

WTF
    my wife has worked for the same company for 28 years

the company offers geared-to-income housing

the only tenants she's lost over her 28 years....have either died or been turfed because they stopped paying the $95/month subsidized rent (for a 2bdrm btw) that you get when you don't have a job

nobody ever leaves on their own accord....because it's too good

10+ year waiting list to get in

even those who are employed and making an income that qualifies them for max-rent (approx $1,800/month) refuse to leave...because they lose the golden goose of plummeting rent on a job-loss if they go out into the real world

there are literally generations of families that are tenants....because mom told the kids to get on that waiting list the second they were qualified to do so

I don't disagree with a helping-hand to right the ship....but I'd bet 20% would look at the programme that way...and the other 80% would eventually see it as an entitlement and do everything necessary to keep getting the free bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Getting tired of the entitled bullshit argument. You're assuming people even make close to 30 or 40k think below that. I personally believe 40k is a good amount...But anyways this discussion is becoming circular I've said what I needed to say.

Did you read my post? I have a brother that gets by just fine on way way way less than 20k per year. He gets by but dosnt get luxuries. This is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    my wife has worked for the same company for 28 years

the company offers geared-to-income housing

the only tenants she's lost over her 28 years....have either died or been turfed because they stopped paying the $95/month subsidized rent (for a 2bdrm btw) that you get when you don't have a job

nobody ever leaves on their own accord....because it's too good

10+ year waiting list to get in

even those who are employed and making an income that qualifies them for max-rent (approx $1,800/month) refuse to leave...because they lose the golden goose of plummeting rent on a job-loss if they go out into the real world
    Because rent at 1800 dollars is robbery and absurd. How can you even begin to save for a house or condo if you're being raped by high rent ?

Move out of the high rent areas. Lots of places looking for people to work in small towns like mine. Yes you make less money than in Toronto. But then again. I payed 115k for my two story double brick house with detached garage.

WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Because rent at 1800 dollars is robbery and absurd. How can you even begin to save for a house or condo if you're being raped by high rent ?

hmmm

OK...so lets say you own a house....lets say it's worth a million bucks and you have a small ($200k mortgage)

property and other taxs/fees and maintenance are typically in the $10,000/year range unless there's a bigger job like roof replacement or new windows etc

but...you wanna make the house earn a few bucks

so....lets say you completely renovate your basement to add another kitchen and bathroom with a nice living area and a bedroom....and you go through all the proper permit applications etc....

and even though you didn't go high-end on anything in the reno....it still cost you $53,000

what do you think a fair rate for monthly rent is?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    hmmm

OK...so lets say you own a house....lets say it's worth a million bucks and you have a small ($200k mortgage)

property and other taxs/fees and maintenance are typically in the $10,000/year range unless there's a bigger job like roof replacement or new windows etc

but...you wanna make the house earn a few bucks

so....lets say you completely renovate your basement to add another kitchen and bathroom with a nice living area and a bedroom....and you go through all the proper permit applications etc....

and even though you didn't go high-end on anything in the reno....it still cost you $53,000

what do you think a fair rate for monthly rent is?
    Then the person should live in the blackhole money pit they created instead of forcing others to pay for their overpriced mortgage and unnecessary rennos. A place should be something you live in not something you make money out of. This is why our housing market is so ridiculous because greedy people keep on buying so many homes renting it out and profiting out of it. It's destroying the newer generations ability to afford housing. This is pure greed in my opinion, I'm sure most would completely disagree but I don't give a damn.