Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common sense vs the truth. Interesting theoretical debate

Common sense vs the truth. Interesting theoretical debate

Buddy and I were having a talk and the subject of common sense came up. I said that commin sense and the truth we're pretty much hand in hand. He said they were compleatly different. It raised an interesting debate topic. I thought was a nice break from politics.

Anyone care to weigh in?

I'm with your buddy. Common sense is a completely different thing than the truth.
    I'm not even sure what debatable argument is there?

Common Sense: is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things that are shared by ("common to") nearly all people and can reasonably be expected of nearly all people without need for debate.
    Truth: that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
    -Don____________

I'm with you on this one Don.

Assuming the person has the knowledge and experience the people around him have.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That's what he said but can you provide an example of common sense that is not also true?
    I think common sense or the idea of common sense allowed for the fact that people who will argue anything.

It's both common sense and the truth that the world is round but there are those that will to this day argue that it's not.

Can one use common sense as a standing argument in a debate?

If we are debating weather or not it hurts to be stung by a wasp but I have never been stung by a wasp I can't argue personal experience to support my claim but I have been stung by a bee. I know it hurts. So common sense will tell me that it also hurts to be stung by a wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    That's what he said but can you provide an example of common sense that is not also true?
    I'm going to assume that you put the word 'also' in the wrong place? And meant to say "an example of common sense that is not true".

because I'm not good at putting it in words, I'll cut and paste:
    The American writer H L Mencken once said “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.” He was referring to ‘common sense’, which can be superficially plausible and sometimes right, but often wrong.

common sense relies on the vague notion of ‘obviousness’, which means something like ‘what we perceive from personal experience’ or ‘what we should know without having had to learn.’ In other words, common sense is not necessarily supported by evidence or reasoning. As such, beliefs based on common sense are unreliable. The fallacy lies in giving too much weight to common sense in drawing conclusions, at the expense of evidence and reasoning.

”Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen” -Einstein
    https://yandoo.wordpress.com/2014/12...sense-fallacy/

In short: common sense can be wrong.
    -Don____________

That was a good little read.
    In essence common since is accepted as truth untill it's proven wrong?

I find it an interesting thought exercise.

As the artical stated at one point it was common sense that the world was flat untill it was proven otherwise.
    But if you asked people at the time in history they would have told you that it was fact that the earth was flat.
    Therefore common sense equals fact based on our current knowledge and beliefs?

But how does that differ from fact or reality itself?
    So many things in history have been accepted as fact or reality untill those same facts were proven wrong

Let me illustrate it this way:

Trump has gotten this far using common sense, yet he has a tenuous grasp on facts or reality or truth.
    -Don____________

Well way to ruin it by making it political. Lol

Common Sense ..... 7% of the population lacks it study finds:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3535819/ch...n-cows-survey/
    Seven per cent of American adults think chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a survey conducted by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.
    ...The study also found that nearly half of Americans have no idea where chocolate milk comes from
    -Don____________