Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator? 1967 Mustang coupe 289 - battery drain - troubleshooting.

mustang sally

Alternator? 1967 Mustang coupe 289 - battery drain - troubleshooting.

Hey Guys,
    Ok got some trouble shooting done. Cleaned all the cables, wiggled a bunch of stuff, cleaned and scrubbed the battery cables, checked the negative ground (I know just because it's in place doesn't mean it's good).

Charged the battery and was able to set up my video cam so I could see what was happening on start up and rev.

I have link to what I recorded on the camera while starting it - I know, I know, I was too dainty starting it!

I can save you time with the video and say that 12.10 is the highest reading when giving it throttle - and checked it at different throttle speeds.

Bad alternator?

Here's the vid if you have time to look at the numbers (it's less than 2 minutes if you skip me starting it three times)

Your alternator is not charging at all.
    Stock set up is borderline even when they were new n working properly. Suggest, upgrade to at least a 100amp single wire n put the issue behind you once and for all. Engine will run and idle better plus your head n tail lights will be appreciably brighter at night.

mustang sally
    Thanks Rick - I feel better having that confirmed. That was a really good read - almost made me feel like I could hook one up myself! But probably taking it to the local shop so I can at least see how it's done so that I know for future.

I am thinking since the alternator runs the car and the alternator isn't charing, it's not likely it will get me 10 minutes to the shop without totally cutting out?

hmmm, maybe I will be putting this in myself after all lol.

On a fully charged battery, will easily make a 20 minute drive (lights n heater off of course)

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    On a fully charged battery, will easily make a 20 minute drive (lights n heater off of course)
    Ok that's really good to know.

Do you recommend the Powermaster one wire alternators?

I am just checking around to see where to pick one up

(geeze wish I could get up to for this but I guess alternators are kind of like emergency surgery lol - but I will get up to you for my power steering and breaks conversion if I keep getting saying work over the summer)

(I am just reading how to bypass the external voltage regulator when these new ones go in)

Like anything else electrical, can be a hit or miss but generally pretty decent.

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Like anything else electrical, can be a hit or miss but generally pretty decent.
    Ok that's great - thanks again.

Congrats on making some progress!
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Congrats on making some progress!
    Thanks Mike - it's a great feeling since I hadn't had much experience wrenching before. I tend to overthink these things and then have to make sure I have a huge amount of time to work through something in case I make a mistake and make things worse lol!