Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternator? 1967 Mustang coupe 289 - battery drain - troubleshooting.

mustang sally
    Sorry for the late update - working crazy hours and working some more crazy hours to pay for the stuff I want to do with the car.

Ok so retested the alt one more time and the VR one more time - and it turned out it was the VR - ordered the electric (digital??) one and all was fine.

Latest challenge is replacing the old alternator belt - some of my starting problems and hard starting when hot I think is related to the belt at the end of its life and slipping although no sounds.

Headed out to Can tire or part source to grab a new one tomorrow. On the road and loving it.

Can't find any youtube videos on replacing the belt - any tips I need to know or is it pretty straight forward? (my car has no A/C or power steering.)

Pretty straight forward job.

I think you might need a pry bar to get the belt tight enough.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    I think you might need a pry bar to get the belt tight enough.
    Thanks Mike, I have a pry bar and I know that I need to lift the alternator up to tighten the belt. But to replace the belt and perform the finer tuned stuff is hard to find out there in my research - and I sure do research the hell out of things. So I come here to where the expertise is.

Just trying to find some step by step stuff or vids to watch as I am visual learner. Willing to learn and try things and I have learned a lot but when I hit a snag I am always willing to ask for help.

I guess most people assume dudes already know how to do this stuff or are maybe tired of explaining the same things. I understand that.

I have noticed though that when people know I am a chick, they are more prone to tell me to go to a mechanic which I don't see them saying too much to the dudes.

I guess it just comes with the territory lol.

What do you need to know about changing the belt? I could provide the step by step stuff if you want.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

mustang sally
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your post and offer. I have never done it before so I am starting from scratch - I haven't even taken one off before. I ordered one from the parts store and then started researching how to do it. That's when I realized I wasn't having luck finding any good vids or instructions on how to take one off and put one on.

If you had the time, I would sure appreciate the step by step. My car is without a/c and without power steering.
    Thanks again Mike - I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Hey Sally...pm'd you.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

mustang sally
    Thank you so much Mike for your kindness. It was exactly what I needed and couldn't locate anywhere in my research. I will get started tomorrow. Much obliged.