Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternator? 1967 Mustang coupe 289 - battery drain - troubleshooting.

mustang sally
    So been doing some research on alternator upgrades. I have been reading about what seem to be two different types of alternators:
    1) the 3G alts with basic OE specs but offered with the increased amperage which I would definitely want
    2) then the 'one wire' alts -

Am I correct in my understanding that all aftermarket one-wire alts are at least 3G but that not all 3G's are one-wire alts (well, actually two wires, one wire to battery and one to ground?)

So far I do mostly city driving - not hugely long trips until I get the coin to get all my safety stuff in place (3-point belts, head rests etc) - is there a benefit of the one-wire alt over the 3G with OE specs? I know the 3G has the internal VR which would be one huge less thing to worry about. But is it correct that one has to be driving a certain amount in order for the one-wire to start charging the battery.

I understand that the 3G's require the #4 gauge to allow for the additional current.

But that's as far as my understanding gets me about which alt to select for my driving needs - and then I hit another learning curve!! lol.

A big concern is not wanting to hack into my current wiring but making sure I am driving enough right now to not continue to have charging issues.

One wire alt is typically energized at approx 1000 rpm n stays engaged until the engine is shut off.
    Either one your looking at is a good option.

mustang sally
    Hey Guys,
    This is a 3 wire alt correct and not a one-wire? (still a bit confused even after all this researching).

Getting ready to test the VR before springing for a new alt system - or having it towed up to Rick's because I think my eyes are crossing now lol

http://www.paperformance.com/95a-3g-alternator-1614e/

Here's the conversion kit they recommend with this:
    http://www.paperformance.com/1g-3g-conversion-462802c/

And the increased capacity wire.
    http://www.paperformance.com/standard-short-9904/

Good option or ...

Can't really answer since I did the Cougar's 3G swap with scrapyard pieces and welding wire, lol! Your idea of towing it to Rick's shop is a good one.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Your idea of towing it to Rick's shop is a good one.
    LOL, I am totally almost at the end of my learning curve! Humbling for sure but I guess that's what learning feels like eh!

Take a look here, easy to install / requires power wire to battery only and your done.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/powermast...973/p/ALT38-V/

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Take a look here, easy to install / requires power wire to battery only and your done.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/powermast...973/p/ALT38-V/
    perfect, thanks Rick.

I believe you have an external voltage regulator. That could cause the issues you are describing.

I have an '85. Last year I think of the external regulator with a 1G 65 amp alternator. I have power windows/locks, have AC which works. 400 watt stereo and powered bazooka. Never an issue. I did blow the voltage requlator when I reversed the battery polarity (don't ask).

mustang sally
    Quote Originally Posted by steam_mill View Post
    I believe you have an external voltage regulator. That could cause the issues you are describing.

I did blow the voltage requlator when I reversed the battery polarity (don't ask).
    Thanks steam_mill
    LOL, ok, I totally won't ask - but it sounds like something that makes me feel better about my work so far lol.

yes, my VR is external - last night I tried to pull it from the holder but I was being too gingerly so as not to break anything. So tonight before the sun goes down I will try again with a little more force.

Also realizing troubleshooting with only two hands was causing me some logistical issues - I think I have a strategy now re getting the jumper wire to stay put on the VR while I jump it, give it a bit of throttle from the engine side to raise the rpm's and video the volts on the battery so that I can actually see what it's registering.

The one-wire alt that Rick sent the link for is something I can tackle now that I know what should be happening. So now just a decision if it turns out to be the alternator between the one-wire and the 95A 3G from pa performance. The one wire is sure a lot less compacted and less expensive especially with the CAD-US dollar right now.

If it's the VR I will go with a new electronic one instead of the old style. That's also something I can do myself. And it it's a wiring or ground issue, well, that will be a whole new learning curve.

mustang sally
    Update:
    Turned out to be the alternator.
    I jumped the VR, made sure all connections were clean and tight. I have the old alternator out now and am studying the process of putting a new one in.

(Got a rubber hammer just in case...)

This has been easier than I thought - the biggest issue is never having done any of this before.

Thanks again for all your help.