Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 11 GT Mods, Headers/CAI/pipes,exhaust and questions!

pokerplayer

11 GT Mods, Headers/CAI/pipes,exhaust and questions!

Hey guys,

I picked up my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 at the end of last summer. I'm about to pull the trigger on:

1) Kooks Long tube headers with catted H Pipes.

(Question 1) -I've been reading that the X-Pipe gets better gains but it's negligible, and I want the deep muscle car sound rather than rasp. Do you guys agree?
    (Question 1a) -Also what are the differences vs getting these option catted or not?

2) JTL CAI

(Question 2) -I was looking at other CAIs, and I asked the shop what they thought about the K&Ns ... he told me they were too small and I need a bigger one for the setup I want, and JTL is the way to go. Do you guys agree?

3) Borla S-Type axleback exaust

(Question 3) -I bought the car with flowmasters installed, but I want something with less drone and deeper. He said this was the way to go. I've heard some people have a similar setup to me, but they have the Borla Type S Catbacks instead of the axlebacks....what would the difference be if I changed this setup to that?

4) Then obv getting it tuned. I'm going dyno tune it rather than an emailed canned tune.

..So aside from the questions I had above, a few more questions:

(Question 4) What kind of gains in HP and torque do you guys expect from the above set up?

(Question 5) What would you next upgrade be after this? Which power upgrade (Manifold Intake? Cams?)? .. Which driveability upgrade (Tires, Gears, Clutch Suspension Etc?)

Thanks guys!

If you're planning on further power upgrades down the road I'd consider a Roush TVS Supercharger kit.

You'd have to look at what kind of overall dollars you are willing to spend and what kind of gains you want to achieve. I believe the Roush kits range from 575-675hp depending on what stage of kit you run. The car will maintain its stock driveability when your not in boost and the kits are relatively easy to install and remove.

I am biased towards superchargers though.

My 2 cents

Go with a touring muffler rather than the S type if you want drone free and deep. An H pipe will be less raspy rather than an XPipe but with touring mufflers you'll likely be good either way.

Headers are big money for little gain. Save your $$ for boost if you think it's in your future.

I like the JLT but most CAI are worth the money.

Most of your gains will be from the CAI and the tune. Expect 30 rwhp

Steeda CAI and GT500's with resonator deletes. That's what I run. AED custom tune on 94 octane. It sounds great and goes like stink.lol
    GHIG

Only comment is on 1a: I would never consider NOT running cats. No power gain, stinks, and fines if the MTO catches you. Did I mention it stinks?
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Only comment is on 1a: I would never consider NOT running cats. No power gain, stinks, and fines if the MTO catches you. Did I mention it stinks?
    2nd that.
    GHIG

Roushcharged
    Congrats on the new car! I've added a few replies below, I've got a 2011 myself and have been through a few mods. My replies are all opinionated so I'd definitely do some keyboard research and go with what you like.... Most important...... Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pokerplayer View Post
    Hey guys,

I picked up my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 at the end of last summer. I'm about to pull the trigger on:

1) Kooks Long tube headers with catted H Pipes.

Gains are minimal vs money spent...... Use that money elsewhere.

(Question 1) -I've been reading that the X-Pipe gets better gains but it's negligible, and I want the deep muscle car sound rather than rasp. Do you guys agree?

Agree

(Question 1a) -Also what are the differences vs getting these option catted or not?

Don't go catless.

2) JTL CAI

(Question 2) -I was looking at other CAIs, and I asked the shop what they thought about the K&Ns ... he told me they were too small and I need a bigger one for the setup I want, and JTL is the way to go. Do you guys agree?

Love my JLT.

3) Borla S-Type axleback exaust

(Question 3) -I bought the car with flowmasters installed, but I want something with less drone and deeper. He said this was the way to go. I've heard some people have a similar setup to me, but they have the Borla Type S Catbacks instead of the axlebacks....what would the difference be if I changed this setup to that?

I have the Borla S type catback. The catback comes with an xpipe, you'd be fine with just axle backs. I get no drone on the highway, car is manageable in the city and loud when I step in it. IMO the Borla S type is the perfect exhaust. I sold my Corsa Sports to get the Borlas that's how much I like them.

4) Then obv getting it tuned. I'm going dyno tune it rather than an emailed canned tune.

Dyno tune all the way. I drove all the way to Michigan for my tune that's how important it is!

..So aside from the questions I had above, a few more questions:

(Question 4) What kind of gains in HP and torque do you guys expect from the above set up?

Im guessing 30ish..... Might be good to do a baseline pull, DaSilva racing will do dyno pulls for I think $60.00 at there Sick Kids show. Cheap way to get a baseline number.

(Question 5) What would you next upgrade be after this? Which power upgrade (Manifold Intake? Cams?)? .. Which driveability upgrade (Tires, Gears, Clutch Suspension Etc?)

Suspension without a doubt...... It's always the first thing I do.

Thanks guys!

FordFTW
    If you wanna do a remote dyno tune look into Shaun at AED, Jon Lund at Lund Racing or even Lidio at Alternative Auto in Michigan.

2nd that .
    GHIG