Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insuring a modified Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Yes way back from or on a cruise n stop at the plaza is totally different vs at home n jump in the Mustang to hit Home Depot. Same as when I asked about what happens when away at Woodward or similar car event, reply was of course we'd expect it to get parked at the local mall or restaurant and yes they would fall well within your policy.
    Exactly what I was told.
    ~Scott B

FordFTW
    there is no legit insurance co for any modded car that is fairly new......as soon as you tell them you have any mods they tell you sorry we cant cover you....I dont believe that zehrs or haggerty covers late model modded cars either.....imo most people mod and say zero about it to the insurance co's. seems to be the only way to go about it....

Quote Originally Posted by FordFTW View Post
    there is no legit insurance co for any modded car that is fairly new......as soon as you tell them you have any mods they tell you sorry we cant cover you....I dont believe that zehrs or haggerty covers late model modded cars either.....imo most people mod and say zero about it to the insurance co's. seems to be the only way to go about it....
    My car is an 05 so not new but I told haggardy my mods and they were fine, long tubes, cams, blower, zerhs needed to be 15 or 20 years old haggardy will even do new cars as long as it's a toy from my understanding.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its so sad. All I have is a harsher ride for the mach. It was not lowered from the looks of it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lowering springs and stock shocks seldom if ever work out.

i am with cooperators and have a modded 2006 with no issues on coverage. only limits are that it is not my primary car (pleasure only) and not to exceed 10,000 klms per year. not an issue cause i only put 1000/ year

WTF
    I dont believe that zehrs covers late model modded cars either.
    my Stang is a 2000

was back in 2003...the late Prez of Zehr wrote a piece in Performance World Mag about people not properly insuring modded modern rides by not telling their insurance company about the mods

at that point.....my broker at the time knew I did the suspension and exhaust and some other minor stuff and just said "keep all receipts".....so I didn't feel the ins co really knew what they were insuring....the same shit was going on in the press back then....ooohh ahhh if you put on a cold air intake you've turned that thing into an uninsurable menace with that extra 2 fucking HP

I also spoke with Tony Lant multiple times through the 2000s about why he wouldn't insure modded modded rides that were treated exactly like the classics he insured but he wouldn't budge

I wrote an email to PW mag basically calling out the Prez of Zehr for what I thought was BS....saying that I've got a 3 year old modded ride that I'm planning on adding a KenneBell supercharger too.... and asking whether or not he'd insure my ride or not

PW Mag gave my contact info to the Prez of Zehr and he contacted me direct and said he'd insure the car no problem

got an appraisal done....and updated it a few times as the mods progressed

the original policy was a 19A pleasure only....and the underwriter was the same company that was underwriting the daily driver......so the broker definitely had an understanding with the underwriter

was around 2007 I think, and a group of us were strolling through the Performance World Show in March and as we walked by the Lant Insurance booth the hot chick working the booth tried to hand me a pamphlet.....and I said "when are you folks gonna finally offer a policy for the people who own all these barely driven modern modded rides and not just the classics".....and she said "we are now"

I emailed Zehr when I got home and asked if this was true....he said yes....but hang tight because Zehr would be offering Hagerty policys later in the year

Oct of that year we switched the Stang over to a Hagerty policy which is on the car to this day

and they've handled my 1990 Morgan +8 in a similar fashion to the Stang and just recently switched it from Hagerty to Echelon now that it's over 25 years old

things may have changed a bit over the last 15 years.....and maybe Zehr isn't interested in any new modern modded customers any longer....but I can guarantee you they are knowingly covering many late model modded cars and have been for years

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    So I want to cover all bases with my Mustang and Would like to know if anyone has experience or knowledge with regards to modification guidelines. Allstate told me suspension mods are not covered. I have eibach springs with the stock tokico shocks in my mach 1 (not installed by me).

Funny thing is they are ok with HID kits and exhaust. Cold air intakes are a no no. Im concerned that if I would be in an accident that they would be petty enough to not even cover me just because of the springs.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Your car doesn't qualify as modded IMO so this is a tempest in a tea cup. Replacement springs (and shocks etc) are wear items. Insurance companies cannot force you to use OEM parts, otherwise using Canadian Tire lightbulbs or Motomaster oil filters would also apply. Hell, they even do it to save money when they pay for crash repairs. Also, a cars' value doesn't increase with mods, at least from their perspective.

Find out from your insurance company what they value your Mach at given it's mileage, etc. If you don't like the number, ask them if an appraisal will lock in a value and get the details in writing. Then go spend the money to get an appraisal that will protect you.

People forget that the largest component of auto insurance has zero to do with the value of the car, but rather the likelihood of a crash based on your location and the potential liability and medical costs they are liable for if you have a crash and they have to pay out for injury or death.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    Replacement springs (and shocks etc) are wear items. Insurance companies cannot force you to use OEM parts,
    They sure can't... But they can void your policy if the vehicle is not at the stock height.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    They sure can't... But they can void you policy if the vehicle is not at the stock height.
    interesting. How exactly would they determine and prove that?