Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insuring a modified Vehicle

If they the insurance company want to be dicks about it. Lets say your vehicle is lowered and you never told them about it. God forbid you get into a collision and you make a claim. Surely at that time when the vehicle is being viewed, they can check if the suspension was modified. They're always looking for ways to cancel a policy or not to pay out.

That's something I wouldn't want to test them on. Especially if vehicle(s) were a write off or if you or the other party was injured. And your left with no coverage.

WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    If they the insurance company want to be dicks about it. Lets say your vehicle is lowered and you never told them about it. God forbid you get into a collision and you make a claim. Surely at that time when the vehicle is being viewed, they can check if the suspension was modified. They're always looking for ways to cancel a policy or not to pay out.

That's something I wouldn't want to test them on. Especially if vehicle(s) were a write off or if you or the other party was injured. And your left with no coverage.
    exactly

if your ins. co doesn't really know exactly what they're insuring because you've modified the hell outta the car and they simply think it's a stock production car....then they most definitely will dig into the fine print when it comes time for a claim....in every effort to fuck you because you weren't being upfront

if your ins co throws a red flag at a fucking cold air intake.....then find a broker who understands the hobby and get a proper policy

I could just imagine what it would be like in court when the ins co's lawyer keeps telling the 72 year old female judge about your "racing suspension and the massive power increases from your racing air filter and your racing intake and your racing exhaust"

Thanks for all the input. This is why I want to cover my ass. Insurance companies have become even more nit picky since insurance fraud is on the rise...ontop of the fact that insurance companies would prefer to not even pay out even if they have to...
    I would say if My ride height was not changed by the springs put in my vehicle it should be fine. Also they never once asked me if my vehicle was modified...something they should make a point to let the customer know especially if it is a performance vehicle.

Bottom line I'm glad HIDs don't bother them and my flowmaster exhaust.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    exactly

if your ins. co doesn't really know exactly what they're insuring because you've modified the hell outta the car and they simply think it's a stock production car....then they most definitely will dig into the fine print when it comes time for a claim....in every effort to fuck you because you weren't being upfront

if your ins co throws a red flag at a fucking cold air intake.....then find a broker who understands the hobby and get a proper policy

I could just imagine what it would be like in court when the ins co's lawyer keeps telling the 72 year old female judge about your "racing suspension and the massive power increases from your racing air filter and your racing intake and your racing exhaust"
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Thanks for all the input. This is why I want to cover my ass. Insurance companies have become even more nit picky since insurance fraud is on the rise...ontop of the fact that insurance companies would prefer to not even pay out even if they have to...
    I would say if My ride height was not changed by the springs put in my vehicle it should be fine. Also they never once asked me if my vehicle was modified...something they should make a point to let the customer know especially if it is a performance vehicle.

Bottom line I'm glad HIDs don't bother them and my flowmaster exhaust.
    While some of your above points are valid, the wording of the policy specifically is what will be the contention for any settlement or subsequent civil court case, which it almost never comes to, certainly while talking about only the loss of the car itself. Probably different story if the mods contributed to the crash - cambered, air ride bag failure, 24" rim failing, etc.

When my highly modded SVO clone was written off, there was not one word mentioned of the mods for a way out of them paying. They simply insisted the car of that age in good shape was worth X. I sent them mod invoices for X x 4 and ended up getting Xx2 payout plus the car, which still didn't make me whole, but was way better than offers #1, 2 and 3. Note: I did have collision coverage, even though it was deemed the other driver's fault 100%.

This would have been the perfect situation for them NOT to cover me due to mods. Big wheels, motor, roll bar, lowered, etc etc etc. It was INTACT insurance, which is notorious for lowballing payouts and looking for claim denial sources, in part because they are usually the least expensive insurer.

The entire context of Mr. Harbingers thread was about his car, which is NOT modded, and even still at stock ride height. Most of the Mustangs on here likely fall into the stock category as far as insurance companies are concerned.

Anyone else have a claim on their Mustang in recent years ? Inquiring minds wanna know.

My 2006 GT had some mods when I was rear ended. Insurance never batted an eye at the mods. I was only told damaged modified components would not be covered.
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Just clarifying again. Allstate stated that anything that alters performance of the vehicle in any way voids the policy and they would not insure the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    While some of your above points are valid, the wording of the policy specifically is what will be the contention for any settlement or subsequent civil court case, which it almost never comes to, certainly while talking about only the loss of the car itself. Probably different story if the mods contributed to the crash - cambered, air ride bag failure, 24" rim failing, etc.

When my highly modded SVO clone was written off, there was not one word mentioned of the mods for a way out of them paying. They simply insisted the car of that age in good shape was worth X. I sent them mod invoices for X x 4 and ended up getting Xx2 payout plus the car, which still didn't make me whole, but was way better than offers #1, 2 and 3. Note: I did have collision coverage, even though it was deemed the other driver's fault 100%.

This would have been the perfect situation for them NOT to cover me due to mods. Big wheels, motor, roll bar, lowered, etc etc etc. It was INTACT insurance, which is notorious for lowballing payouts and looking for claim denial sources, in part because they are usually the least expensive insurer.

The entire context of Mr. Harbingers thread was about his car, which is NOT modded, and even still at stock ride height. Most of the Mustangs on here likely fall into the stock category as far as insurance companies are concerned.

Anyone else have a claim on their Mustang in recent years ? Inquiring minds wanna know.
    When you had your collision, the other driver was at fault. Lets turn the table around, and say you were at fault. You think Intact would have gave you the same payout? They wouldn't have raised an eyebrow to the motor, roll bar and being lowered?

How long has it been since your SVO clone was written off? 10yrs ago? In my opinion a lot has changed in the way these insurance companies handle their policies. When I switched my DD's vehicles to TD 2yrs ago, I was raked thru the coals with all the questions. Almost to the point of which brand of wax I was using on my vehicles. And yes one of the questions I was asked, was the suspension on my Elantra modified? If so, we wont insure it.

For me, Hagerty has and continues to be problem free to deal with. When switching my DD's to a new co a year back, as said above, some of the questions they asked made me uncomfortable but it's part of the new normal.

Springs replaced with none OEM that retain a stock / virtually stock stance, are certainly not grounds for labeling as modded by any insurance co. It's yet another one of those myths said 173 million times that is now considered gospal truth.

2005BlackGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray721 View Post
    My 2006 GT had some mods when I was rear ended. Insurance never batted an eye at the mods. I was only told damaged modified components would not be covered.

Correct......and Generally ,,this WILL be the case in all claims....