Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Ride Quality

Ride Quality

Thinking about adding a mustang lately and was wondering about the quality of the ride for different models. Could I have some input as to performance of stock suspensions for Fox vs SN-95 vs SN-95 New Edge vs S197?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I've been for a ride in all of them and driven a New edge and owned two S197s. The S197 is the better riding of all them. Much stiffer chassis, you don't feel it flexing about when you go over bumps. This is to be expected though. Every new design is better than the previous one. The S550 rides better than the S197.

Which style do you prefer?
    Follow me on Instagram @ray721_14gt for car pics and general shenanigans

Because Rayscar!!!!

Looking at a local new edge.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

Mustang, newer they get better they ride. New Edge has a raw edge but a decent ride.

On the fence for selling my 03 Mach 1 Auto. If you're interested just let me know, I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of it.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Thinking about adding a mustang lately and was wondering about the quality of the ride for different models. Could I have some input as to performance of stock suspensions for Fox vs SN-95 vs SN-95 New Edge vs S197?
    I have driven dozens of Foxes, SN95s, New Edges, S197s and S550s both on the street and some on the track.

The latest S550 chassis are world class, even a bottom feeder new rental Mustang rides and drives better than the last gen car. The basic concept of a developed IRS instead of a bandaid like the Terminators rear end makes all the difference, along with the supreme chassis stiffness and the latest in materials and computer modeling for torsional and bending stiffness, NVH and performance and fuel economy. Add in the electronic gizmos and the fabulous brakes, and there is no choice in terms of comfort and performance for the money. S197 or S550, Coyote motor for best deal on power. The new Mustang (and Camaro) chassis are better than the C5 Corvette in terms of comfort and performance IMO. That is really serious.

Now; the immeasurable pleasure of a more basic and raw car is a separate issue. Noise, hitting the chassis limits and dealing with having to mod the car if you want more are all part of that package.

BUT; if you go buy a really nice Fox for say $ 15 or 20k, it will always be worth that, whereas a newer car will continue to depreciate, unless you get an absolute steal on a limited and desirable model. Terminator with updates would also be a safe bet, but likely cost ya 25 or maybe even 30.
    SN95s would be the least expensive; I prefer the 95/95 GTs since they still have the pushrod V8 instead of the anemic 4.6

Lots of choices.

I would spend the $100 and go rent a new Mustang for a day. Most fun you can have for that money and it will give you some personal perspective.

Thanks for the input. I was not looking for one until this ad popped up... http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...ht=#post194629

Since my son is still in university and we are both retired, my budget is minimal. So another way to ask the question is how the 04 GT will compare to my former 89 LX. Both Ray and Rick answered the question as each generation is better.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

Each generation is better, but the Fox, SN95, and Edge all share the same chassis and suspension. Minor refinements, same crappy design. The S197 is a whole new design.

With a couple of minor mods the Edge will ride just fine. Coil-overs, proper shocks and struts, and a panhard bar.
    -Don____________

yllrgt
    I'm pretty happy with the ride and handling of my new edge vert . The biggest improvement in ride came from weld-in FLSFC's , allowed the suspension to travel in relation to the road surface before the body/chassis started to flex . Handling is compromised by the lack of a panhard bar and with a binding 4-link you can find those limits pretty quickly . My car is lowered , suspension is stiffened has relatively big wheels and tires and has a firm rattle & squeek free ride .

SFCs should be done as part of any Fox to '04 suspension mods, otherwise, short changing yourself huge.