Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monera getting some PAINT TLC - Correction (Thanks Elton for all the help)

Monera3v

Monera getting some PAINT TLC - Correction (Thanks Elton for all the help)

So as some may know, medical conditions kicked in and the body is saying no to long drives ( Cayuga, St Thomas) aka doesn't like to be stressed follow by a long drive (blacking out while driving).

Decided to purchase some equipment and product and lots of help from Toxix aka Elton on how to go about!

Well after 8 hours. (Body gave up and said no more, stupid sugar level dropped low)
    I compounded, polished and sealed maybe 1/2 of the car?
    Did the hood, 2 fenders, and 2 doors.

This is the result Pretty darn happy
    D/A Porter cable 7424XP
    Bunch of pads
    Tested a few product: Chem guys vs Mcguire vs Menzerna
    After testing all 3 product Menzerna was the best choice, way less passes, way better cut, way better finish! ( Thank you very much, Elton, for the hookup on everything! )

So after 8 hours, this was the result!
    Pretty sure you can tell Cut and polish vs the NON touched area!
    Will finish off the rest of the car this weekend!

Big shoutout to Elton, tips, product, equiepment everything!!!

Nice work there Shan. I see the front end looks great! Menzerna is a great product. Cant go wrong with that combo. I presume that you went with the Buff and Shine pads?

Monera3v
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Nice work there Shan. I see the front end looks great! Menzerna is a great product. Cant go wrong with that combo. I presume that you went with the Buff and Shine pads?
    Not too sure of the name brand, Ill have to the bags again lol i was following instruction
    Product vs pad vs speed

Roushcharged
    Looks almost as shiny as your blower Nice job looks great!

Well worth the time and effort.

Monera3v
    Well spent 5 hours with it today.
    Really good shiney results.

Finished the entire driver side, trunk, spoiler(will need a repaint, as previous owner cut through the edges to gelcoat layer)
    Did the passenger door and fender.

Left to do is the 2 bumpers and roof!!!

Awesome. Now what are you using to seal that shine? Are you machine sealing or hand sealing?
    Quote Originally Posted by monera96 View Post
    Well spent 5 hours with it today.
    Really good shiney results.

Finished the entire driver side, trunk, spoiler(will need a repaint, as previous owner cut through the edges to gelcoat layer)
    Did the passenger door and fender.

Left to do is the 2 bumpers and roof!!!

Monera3v
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Awesome. Now, what are you using to seal that shine? Are you machine sealing or hand selling?
    Machine seal, the lowest speed with Menzerna buff it out by hand.

Sorry Shan, just coming across this thread now. You are most welcome man! It's time to put away the entry level Chemical Guys and go with better product.

When it comes to correction Menzerna is hard to beat. Right from their heaviest cutting compound FG300 to their finest finishing polishes they tend to be best in class. If Menzerna is out of stock you can consider going for Meguiar's M105 and M205 or even 3D's AAT line.
    @Scrape, he will be using Menzerna Powerlock which can be done by hand or by machine; Shan, I usually just apply Powerlock by hand.

It really is a lot work; For badly beaten, swirled and scratched S197 you can expect 25 hours of work starting from a wash, clay, decontamination (iron and fallout removal), taping, compound, polishing, IPA bath/oil filler removal and sealant application.
    If I'm applying a Ceramic Coating, I'd add another hour or two atleast to the application due to the cure times and application process itself.

This is what I mean by badly beaten and heavily swirled paint.
    This is one of my clients that made the mistake of taking his 2014 GT to a $30 full detail shop.

The water in these shops is hardly ever changed out and they use a brush to work quickly; Not the best idea on black paint.

On the left is before and on the right is after hitting the paint with a cutting compound such as Menzerna FG300/FG400. This entire car, including a ceramic coating took about 22 hours. Interior and engine bay was done as well.

A shot of the entire car after work was done