Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Breakin - Security monitoring company or Security camereas

Another Breakin - Security monitoring company or Security camereas

Another breakin at the house directly across the street from us today in afternoon. Took usual computer stuff, personal items and car keys.
    Wife is upset and wants to call a security monitoring company and wire up the house. But who do you guys use and do they really call the police if there is a breakin in progress or are cameras a better way to go?
    Thanks.

Good question. Earlier today I was talking about ditching the monitored system and going to a camera based one, but I'm not sure if that is the right move.

I have both an Alarm with monitoring and cameras all around the house. In the end they are all deterrents and nothing more. I still had someone rummage through one of our cars that we forgot unlocked one night. Only difference was I got to watch the video the next day.

Gave a copy of the video to the cops and never heard anything about again.
    FABMAN

We had monitoring at my old shop, and I was one of the contacts. I set the alarm off a few times while working there and what happens is this: the alarm goes off, 1-5 minutes later they call the shop, I don’t answer, they call again, I answer and give my info, they shut it down and do nothing more. So yea, it’s good if someone is going to be there a while, cuz by the time they call you, then the cops, then the cops get there it’s been a bit of time.
    I’d get cameras, but currently I just use my dog.

I have both a alarm and cameras around my place.

If you don't have an alarm, get some alarm stickers. Get a big SS dog bowl for the front porch and "beware of dog" signs for your fence gate(s).

I use the Mastiff 130 system. It doesn’t do anything but consume food, but most thieves won’t chance it.

Get a big dog and you're good to go.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

I have a monitored alarm, a couple of Nest cameras and a big dog.

I think stickers in the windows are the best deterrent.

A veteran cop told me once that security stickers in the windows, a beware of dog sign and a big water dish on the porch keeps most thieves away. You don't actually need a dog.

With these in place, thieves will tend to go to your neighbours instead.

Sorrry dog option is out - looking for home security not long dog walks with huge "pick-ups" every morning at 7AM.
    Looking for your experiences with major companies. Looking for home security only no smoke alarms, no cameras in door locks, etc. Perfer wireless that I can install.
    I have 12 windows on my ground floor and i am worried about how the sensors work on opened windows or if windows are jimmied with a crow bar? No smashed glass.
    In London.

Quote Originally Posted by redo75 View Post
    Sorrry dog option is out - looking for home security not long dog walks with huge "pick-ups" every morning at 7AM.
    Looking for your experiences with major companies. Looking for home security only no smoke alarms, no cameras in door locks, etc. Perfer wireless that I can install.
    I have 12 windows on my ground floor and i am worried about how the sensors work on opened windows or if windows are jimmied with a crow bar? No smashed glass.
    In London.
    Stickers on the windows are a great deterrent. If you choose to go with a wireless monitored system (I have used Alarm Force) you don't have to secure each window with a sensor. Well placed motion detection will do an effective job. The likelihood is that an intruder doesn't want to deal with broken glass anyway and would opt to kick in a door.

BTW, those 7 am walks are very therapeutic not to mention the loyalty a dog offers is its own reward. Bending to pick up landmines is a great stretch exercise too.