Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home theatre setup - help needed

Home theatre setup - help needed

Hey TMC, I'm looking for some help with setting up my new TV. It is up on the wall, with wires run behind the wall but I'm looking for help on what to connect where to get the best and easiest results.

I'll post up some images of the inputs/outputs from my TV and components ...

TV:

AV Receiver:

Rogers Box:

DVD Player:

Where I think I need the help is that my receiver, while powerful and in great working condition, is old and does not support HDMI.

I am totally okay if this used the TV audio for most things with the option to use the receiver only when watching movies loud.

So can someone let me know what to plug in where.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Audio: TV has a digital optical out that will go to one of the digital inputs on the receiver (if I’m not mistaken)

We are using a switch box, not sure if you’ll need one.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Audio: TV has a digital optical out that will go to one of the digital inputs on the receiver (if I’m not mistaken)

We are using a switch box, not sure if you’ll need one.
    Yeah that looks like the best option (optical connection) between the CATV receiver and audio receiver for cable TV/movies, and the Digital Audio Out on DVD to Digital 1 (DVD) on audio receiver for DVD playback.

Yep. I HDMI or rca input what ever I’m connecting directly to the tv. And then tv optical into the receiver(sound bar in my case)

The digital optical will out put what ever audio the tv is receiving. So you only need to switch the input setting depending on what your playing. No need for a switchbox

Audio quality will of course depend on the way you are inputting into the tv

And I am assuming that I have no need for the component cables (R/G/B) or the audio (R/W) in the back of the TV correct? Just 3 HDMI to the cable box , dvd and one for the kids wii. Then go from these to the receiver. No direct link from the tv to receiver. Correct?
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post
    And I am assuming that I have no need for the component cables (R/G/B) or the audio (R/W) in the back of the TV correct? Just 3 HDMI to the cable box , dvd and one for the kids wii. Then go from these to the receiver. No direct link from the tv to receiver. Correct?
    No need for component or the audio in the back of TV. No direct link from TV to receiver needed.

If you go HDMI from DVD/ cable to the tv this will carry both the video and audio signals to the tv.

If you then go digital out from the tv to the recever. this will carry all audio from all sources to the recever.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    If you go HDMI from DVD/ cable to the tv this will carry both the video and audio signals to the tv.

If you then go digital out from the tv to the recever. this will carry all audio from all sources to the recever.
    So for the digital out of the TV is that the optical cable?
    BECAUSE RACECAR

Should be yeah.

That’s how I have mine hooked up. So no matter what I plug into the tv. The tv sends the audio signal to the sound bar. It should do the same for the receiver.

Cool. And if the receiver is turned off the TV speakers will remain the default. I have seen the setting for this in the tv audio menu.

Thanks for the help guys!
    BECAUSE RACECAR