Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  812

Thread: What have you done to your truck today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spent the day putting in my audio system in the Ram. Put a lot of time running the cables to the amp in the rear only to find out that the wires going to the doors are in a connector with no room to pass the speaker wire...great for removing the door, not so great for audio. I'll have to figure plan B. Sorry for the bad pic...

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    Spent the day putting in my audio system in the Ram. Put a lot of time running the cables to the amp in the rear only to find out that the wires going to the doors are in a connector with no room to pass the speaker wire...great for removing the door, not so great for audio. I'll have to figure plan B. Sorry for the bad pic...

Mike: I'm in the middle of doing my sound system in the F150. Using all factory speaker harnesses and connectors; bought three sets from Metra on Amazon. Nothing wrong with OEM wiring to speakers, they use decent insulators and are fine for anything short of a competition system.
    I just replaced 4 OEM Sony door speakers, with M+M front components woofers and a two way JBLs in the rear; along with a bunch of door Dynamat.
    Next up:a set of high end Pioneer Ti tweeters into the A pillars, then a center channel replacement.

Later (maybe today!) I'll pull out the console and cut 40 wires to interrupt the 7 channel 700W Sony amp output and wire in a Cervin Vega electronic line level adaptor/ pre amp summing device - gets rid of all the digital garbage built in and sends a simple 2 channel signal into my yet-to-be-designed processor and multiple amplifier setup. Under $200 but not for the faint of heart for installing. The better way is the Rockford or JL Audio pre amp setups, but they are about $1500 for essentially the same thing.

When changing speakers, it is worthwhile to play with the phasing and sometimes the crossover points - many factory wiring setups are not tuned properly and can be improved in terms of imaging, bass response and various other characteristics; especially with more than 4 speakers.