Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax recommendation

Wax recommendation

so my brother in law bought a new car and I want to buy some supplies for him as a gift

So far:

• 10X Cookie monster Microfiber towels
    • Optimum No Rinse (128oz) (I'm taking half of this so 64oz)
    • 2x 5gal bucket with lids
    • Grit guard insert
    • 3x spray bottles

Now the question part. He doesn't have a DA so applying a wax will be by hand. I'm real fond of Collinite 845. but I've read its can be a pain in the ass if not don't right by hand. Too much can be hard to buff out.

What do you recommend?
    Joel,

I love colonize 845 and I always apply it by hand

I see that you are missing a wash still? The ONR is great if the vehicle is not too dirty but I still recommend a good quality car wash such as the Optimum Car wash or Duragloss etc. As for a wax I can't recommend any as I am a Sealant kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by 1986stangfan View Post
    I love colonize 845 and I always apply it by hand
    and you have no issues? any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    I see that you are missing a wash still? The ONR is great if the vehicle is not too dirty but I still recommend a good quality car wash such as the Optimum Car wash or Duragloss etc. As for a wax I can't recommend any as I am a Sealant kind of guy
    Right now he is in his first love stage and washes it once a week. With the ONR he can make a bottle of quick detail and a bottle clay bar lube and... I want the ONR lol. He can buy his own wash.

A sealant is fine. What do you recommend? I have a shit load of Menzerna Power Lock sealant. I know its overkill but I use the sealant then the collinite.

Edit: I just had a thought... I'll just give him some of the Menzerna Power Lock
    Joel,

There you go. Power Lock is great stuff. Any carnuba based products are a pain in the ass to apply and remove. I have a tub of Adam's Americana and it looks great but it's a pain in the ass to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam04 View Post
    and you have no issues? any tips?

Right now he is in his first love stage and washes it once a week. With the ONR he can make a bottle of quick detail and a bottle clay bar lube and... I want the ONR lol. He can buy his own wash.

A sealant is fine. What do you recommend? I have a shit load of Menzerna Power Lock sealant. I know its overkill but I use the sealant then the collinite.

Edit: I just had a thought... I'll just give him some of the Menzerna Power Lock

Off my meds again
    I use XMT 180, but it's out of production and I got EShine's last tub of it.

It's great stuff if you can find it, I was even getting compliments with the pile of shit I drive.

On the topic of waxes..

Recommendation for a long lasting wax for dark vehicles that's appliable with a DA?
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Collinite, Klasses all in one, Pinnacle, Griots all make a great wax that is DA compatible. Removal is done with a microfibre towel by hand though.

Nice, considerate starter kit there for sure!
    Consider adding a car shampoo to that list if you want.
    I'd be happy to throw a sample your way of my product.

Applying any wax or sealant by hand is not a big deal, 845 can be a bit moody at times but thats only ever due to over-application.
    Seems like you know this already. Apply thin and apply evenly.

I have 4x Flex Polishers probably about 150 buffing pads and I still prefer applying by hand, it just allowed me to get into the nooks crannies quickly; See my post I just made about the Winter Prep Package about my process.

Powerlock is a beast of a Sealant but I am seeing some fading in durability from time to time, depending on my client and their wash practices. I mean, you can get 1 month out of a 9 month sealant if you're not doing things properly.

But MPL (Menzerna PowerLock) is a wicked sealant for sure.

As for long lasting wax, there aren't very many of them out there. If you're looking for paste/liquid waxes and if your main goal is durability, then you need to go with Collinite. But I'd strongly suggest a sealant or a Ceramic Coating, I basically don't even touch waxes anymore, kinda reserve those for the cars that I know are being presented in shows and what not.

Here is a fraction of the vehicle I've applied sealant or Ceramic Coating to: