Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: While I'm at it: right turn bandits

While I'm at it: right turn bandits

OK. I'm on a roll with my rants.
    IT happened to me AGAIN yesterday. I was sitting at a traffic light in the right lane. My light turned green so I moved forward, going south. Suddenly, some idiot (they seem to be split evenly between men and (especially) young pretty women)(OK. If I sound sexist well, i'm old!) a BMW comes along to make a right turn in front of me. They CLEARLY had a red light, but they didn't even touch the brake. They made their turn and then straightened out and accelerated,(not very hard, though) going south in front of me. This was so close to me that my collision alarm cam on, and I had to stab the brakes, hard. IT was as if I wasn't there.
    This happens to me 3 or four times a day. Crazy, and dangerous. And of course, the police are never there to see it.
    I drive all over the city , at least 1200 km a week, and the overall quality of other people's driving skills seems to be going downhill.
    What gives?

For the record: I always come to a full stop when I am making a right turn on a red. I've even been honked from behind for doing that!
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Everyones in a rush to go wait at the next red light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    For the record: I always come to a full stop when I am making a right turn on a red. I've even been honked from behind for doing that!
    same here, and I always get honked at.

This happened a few years ago: advance green, opposite direction has a red light, woman makes a right turn .....into the left lane!
    -Don____________

Every day occurrence.

I can't believe the number of people texting or with the cell phone to their ears while driving!!! It's getting worse everyday in my area too. Almost see the need for dedicated cell phone police...I'm getting a dash cam soon to show my wife and kids what it's like cuz they don't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post

This happened a few years ago: advance green, opposite direction has a red light, woman makes a right turn .....into the left lane!
    i made a legal left turn while someone made a right turn. They swung right over into my lane, missing me by inches, and then honked and gave me the finger as I was wrong
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

^^^You still would have been at fault because you were the one making a left.

If someone is making a right, I will wait until they are done before I make my left. But in this case I had an advance green and she had a red.

http://drivinginstructorblog.com/int...-green-lights/
    -Don____________

This never happens when I'm in the truck, just when I'm in the other cars. The truck must intimidate them more.

Mustang Occasionally
    ^^^You still would have been at fault because you were the one making a left.
    Not on an advanced he's not...

Left turn, across path of approaching vehicle
    HTA 141(5) No driver or operator of a vehicle in an intersection shall turn left across the path of a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction unless he or she has afforded a reasonable opportunity to the driver or operator of the approaching vehicle to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (5).

Flashing green
    HTA 144 (13) A driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular flashing green indication or a solid or flashing left turn green arrow indication in conjunction with a circular green indication and facing the indication may, despite subsection 141 (5), proceed forward or turn left or right unless otherwise directed. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (13).

I interpreted his scenario as: both directions green, Steve turning left into left lane, other driver turning into the right lane but drifts into the left.

Driver turning right has the right of way. He should turn into the right lane, but regardless, person turning left will be at fault.
    -Don____________