Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Sled helmet, what are you using?

Cool Sled helmet, what are you using?

For several years now, been using an HJC CL12 with an electric shield. Decent enough helmet, super comfy but visor seal leaves a fair bit to be desired, 2/3 cured with extra seal foam but helmet itself is getting long in the tooth n time to replace. Considering a CL17 with it's said to be much improved visor design and seal. Added bonus, both DOT and Snell approved. Like the idea of a modular helmet but incident where I saw a Doo version dropped and the snout break partially off puts em on the no fly list for me plus non carry an approval above DOT.

CL 17

Last year I bought the HJC RPHA 10 Pro and love it. comfort was great after a few full day rides both skidoo and atv riding.
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

I have a hjc cl max 2 it's a decent helmet, comfy but kinda heavy. Biggest complaint is heated visor only seems to last a season before it's got moisture in it

I like the look of the 509 helmets but don't want goggles. Been looking at some of the FXR stuff for my next lid

I know it's modular but I'm using the BV2s. Love it so far. Got the electric shield wit it but there is no need to use it at all. Actually the electric shield is still in the box. standard shield works great!. The flip down portion just clips on. there is a portion of the helmet that goes all the way around your chin. So it's not fully modular. You can actually use the flip down shade as well with no fog.

Not having a Snell rating, do you feel safe enough with a modular helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Not having a Snell rating, do you feel safe enough with a modular helmet?
    Been using modular for at least 10 years. Lots of helmets don't have snell ratings.

Wish we better knew how safe / effective each rating means the helmet really is. Meaning, is riding with a DOT only a compromise or just it doesn't have a Snell rating or am I thinking too old skool on when helmets either had a Snell rating or pretty much nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    I know it's modular but I'm using the BV2s. Love it so far. Got the electric shield wit it but there is no need to use it at all. Actually the electric shield is still in the box. standard shield works great!. The flip down portion just clips on. there is a portion of the helmet that goes all the way around your chin. So it's not fully modular. You can actually use the flip down shade as well with no fog.
    I have been using this helmet for at least 4 years and love it. I have always had a problem with fogging with any type of helmet and I have had many. I modified the breathing mask in mine and added the electric shield last year and now I have zero issues in any kind of weather. For most people, this is the perfect helmet, however, there are those few times where frost can develop or freezing rain will be a problem. The electric shield solves this for me.

Carmen

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Wish we better knew how safe / effective each rating means the helmet really is. Meaning, is riding with a DOT only a compromise or just it doesn't have a Snell rating or am I thinking too old skool on when helmets either had a Snell rating or pretty much nothing at all.
    You have to use a helmet with a rating that makes you comfortable. If that is a snell rating then that's what you need to buy. It's your brain in there and apparently we only get one... or none but never 2. lol