Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 96-98 4V Cobra Issues

WOLF

96-98 4V Cobra Issues

Hey guys, so i have a Cobra and while driving the other day the low coolant light came on. I topped it off and took it for a spin and the temp gauge shot up and the coolant blew over from the over flow cap. I'm prob gonna start with a new t-stat and bleed/burp the system but anyone else got any ideas?

Second issue was the P1519 Code (P2006) so I'm gonna take the IMRC's out and clean them up. I know people say to just delete them but I would rather keep them but any one else experience this issue?

Cobra, proper fill / bleeding procedure is a must or they will overheat pretty much every time. Replace stat with new OEM Ford only, all others don't compare, same goes for low temp versions out there.
    Don't delete the plates gets my vote.

WOLF
    Thanks ZR, Yea I would never recommend anyone to use an aftermarket t-stat, just go Ford OEM.

as for the IMRC's i've checked out some 4V forums and a lot of people say to keep them and just to try Seafoam and if it doesn't work to pull them apart and clean them with carb cleaner.

Exactly that, likely just build up on them, thankless job to clean though, just need bunch of patience is all.

Regarding the overheating issue, I had the same problem develop with my 98 Cobra when Ford Quick Lane failed to follow the proper coolant refill procedure (using the process outlined in the owners manual). Air pocket developed and overheated as you described. Took it back and they re-did it...properly and all was well. The other thing I ran into was the cooling fan was not coming on periodically, which also quickly saw the temp gauge rise. Turned out the male/female connector to the fan was not making a solid connection. Disconnected it, added some dielectric grease and fan now works as it should.

yllrgt
    The issue with those B head 4v's is the design of the secondary intake port without a fuel injector , the injector is in the primary port . When the imrc opens no fuel ever flows through the secondary port past the imrc or intake valve so seafoam in the fuel is not going to help the problem . I was going to add a catch can to my mark8 to avoid dumping crap into the induction side and also considered a small wet shot of nitrous plumbed to the intake tube to at least occasionally get fuel flow through that secondary port .