Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock sway bars vs Afternerket sway bars

Stock sway bars vs Afternerket sway bars

Hey guys, a lot of you track your stangs, so I would like some of your experienced knowledge with sway bars as I am thinking of moving in this direction for the coming season of 2018.
    Are they worth the money? Do they aid in the body roll when cornering? What are you guys running for sway bars? What would you guys recommend?
    My GT sits on Eibach Sportlines, and Koni adjustable on all four corners.

What are your goals, do you plan to track the car? If so, my suggestion would be something stiffer and taller ride height for the springs as your next step, or a change to coilovers. Factory bars on Mustangs are decently sized to begin with, and to me should be further down the list of mods to be done. If you just want less body roll for street driving and are happy with your low stance on the Sportlines, then yes bigger bars might be the way to go. Good to see that you have decent shocks in there already, many people skip that step.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I'm of the exact same opinion, still have stock bars in my own car. As for coilovers, you'd never regret ditching conventional springs for them. One of the best mods I did to my own in terms of ride quality and handling.

Yes my plan is to just improve for street riding, or out in the back country roads driving where you find the nice twisty roads for that nice afternoon drive with the family. Love how my GT feels right now, just want to improve the body roll with the corners.
    I have thought of coil overs, just not sure if I want to spend the coin there right now. My GT’s ride feels, and rides good, it’s just the body roll in the bends or corners where I would love to improve thus far.

You would ideally like to control more of it with spring rates n shocks but given your otherwise happy, yes sway bars would most likely give you what your looking for.
    Back in the day when most of us were first lowering our rides, was a cloud that hung over coil over conversions with the bulk of folks claiming it turned them into riding like Hondas with cut springs, nothing could have been further from the truth. I regret not experimenting with them sooner.
    That being said, yet to have anyone ride in my car and not be surprised how totally civilized it is for how aggressive a set up I'm running.

I hear you Rick. I’ve done some good reading on them. I think if I was just starting off freshly stock, I would 100% go that route. But since I already have these sportlines in my GT, I’ve been pretty pleased with them since doing the Koni’s. I have had these springs in my GT now since the first weekend I purchased this car back in ‘03 lol..... and man when I think back to when that was the only thing done, man she would knock the fillings out of anyone’s teeth. Now the GT rides very comparible in quality as my FX2 F150. Not a good comparison, but gives the point at certain point of view for just driving around. I never thought about looking at sway bars until this summer, or maybe it’s me getting older, and not worrying about just going fast in a straight line anymore, but wanting a nice civil car with good street manners.

Look n stance of your GT is what got me into my 2000, love that car. Yes it's amazing how much a good set of struts n shocks can transform ride n handling. Crazy what we considered ok back in the day (make that younger days, LOL). On that car, ran Eibach Pro Kit + KYBs on all four corners plus set of Eibach bars, ride n handling was good. Later on moved to a set of Tokico adjustable shocks n struts, were not an upgrade over the KYBs under any conditions but were at least pretty much on par.

Ahh the good ol’ days! Miss them!!
    So in saying that, we’re you pleased with the Eibach bars? I’m leaning towards the Steeda bars myself, but also been reading about the SR bars offered by American Muscle that are said to be very comparible to the Eibach bars, and possibly made by them for a more affordable price for American Muscle.... if there is any truth to that!?!

Our instances of having trouble with SR branded parts is just shy of 100%, no actual experience with their sways bars though. If it was me, Steeda or Eibach.

Body roll? What body roll?

“If you’re not using the bumpstops you’re not using your full suspension.”
    -Don____________