Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing car with empty gas tank

Storing car with empty gas tank

Is this really that bad? I have to swap pumps on my car and its down below 1/4 tank now. However I don't have the time and ability to swap the pump this year most likely. Will I be setting myself up for problems if I leave the car in the garage all winter at 1/4 tank so I can swap it over the winter or in the spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I could fill it, but my sticker is invalid now since I cant pass etest due to fueling issues, hence the pump swap. So I'd have to drive with expired tags to get the tank back down low to swap pumps again.

Storing car with empty gas tank

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    I could fill it, but my sticker is invalid now since I cant pass etest due to fueling issues, hence the pump swap. So I'd have to drive with expired tags to get the tank back down low to swap pumps again.
    Expired tag ticket will be cheaper than a new tank

I got pulled over for it a few weeks back waiting for my sticker in the mail. Cop liked the car so he let it slide.
    '88 LX

Mustang Occasionally
    EFI's are a sealed system. My bet is people fill up still because that's what's been taught to them. I doubt it will make one bit of difference to you in the spring when you start it up. Add a bit of stabilizer if it makes you happy.

Remember that blue 92 Ford Flareside I bought (down your way actually) 5 years ago or so... That thing had been sitting for 5 years with a half a tank of gas. Towed it home, added fresh fuel to it and it started right up. After a few seconds of it sorting itself out, you wouldn't have known it hadn't been driven or even started in such a length of time.

http://gtamc.com/showthread.php?1098...worth-it/page4

Especially on boosted rides, prefer to see them stored on the lower side so less fuel to burn through in the spring. I add a can of Seafoam to my last tank before storage.

Thanks all, not going to worry too much about this one it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    EFI's are a sealed system. My bet is people fill up still because that's what's been taught to them. I doubt it will make one bit of difference to you in the spring when you start it up. Add a bit of stabilizer if it makes you happy.

Remember that blue 92 Ford Flareside I bought (down your way actually) 5 years ago or so... That thing had been sitting for 5 years with a half a tank of gas. Towed it home, added fresh fuel to it and it started right up. After a few seconds of it sorting itself out, you wouldn't have known it hadn't been driven or even started in such a length of time.

http://gtamc.com/showthread.php?1098...worth-it/page4
    I agree Laffs is fine leaving it 1/4 over winter, but that 92 Flareside seemed to have been sitting because there was a couple Flaws in the heating/cooling system which ZR figured out and it behaved much better after that, but still had issues. Great truck, but pretty expensive, after you I had to move on. That said, I see the truck all the time in leaside and lower scarborough, not sure how much the current owner drives it, but still running around. Now that I say it, do a Coyote Swap on that thing and you have a keeper!

Laffs, what type of fuel are you using? Ethanol free or with ethanol? If it's straight gas without ethanol (Shell 91, Costco 91 and Esso 91) there's nothing to worry about. If the fuel you are using does contain ethanol, once the vehicle is sitting for an extended period of time, the fuel will separate which "could" lead to the risk of causing an issue come spring time. Using a fuel stabilizer can greatly help in keeping your fuel fresh during the vehicle's hibernation time.

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Expired tag ticket will be cheaper than a new tank

I got pulled over for it a few weeks back waiting for my sticker in the mail. Cop liked the car so he let it slide.
    If it's in the mail, than he can't give you a ticket for it, that's why they give you the receipt to print out to keep with you as proof...

unless of course you were just telling the cop that, then I guess that's a different story lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.

used to always keep mine full, now keep empty so there's less shit gas to run through the engine in the spring...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    What has GR been talking about non-stop for the last 2 months? Changes the conversation to it no matter what subject you are trying to talk about, LOL.