Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
This hits home, Monday of this week I lost both my family dogs. Our Beagle Lily, 14 years old, started having breathing problems overnight and we brought her to the vet where they said it was an enlarged heart and lung issue, she was in pain and we made the decision it wasn't fair for her to suffer. The rest of Monday my Husky - Shepherd mix Sky, 16 years old, wouldn't try to move at all and passed away in her sleep that night. I lost both my best friends in essentially 12 hours time.

I say this because in recent years both dogs have their difficulties, Lily had spine and hip issues, Sky had started to lose her vision and was having trouble standing and walking. We made the decision that as long as they weren't in pain we would do whatever we could for them since they were our family. Towards the end we had to carry both up and down the stairs each morning and night, carry them outside to use the washroom, put down carpet runners so they could get better traction, had them on the glucosamine pills, got special shirts that stimulated the spine, were going to have a wheelchair made for Lily if needed. A lot of people told us this was stupid and we were burdening ourselves, I will tell you now if I could I'd do it all again twice and more if I could still have them here.
If they're "family" then it's the least you can do for them (everything you did/tried).

Sorry for your loss....that is tough.