Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make the tough decisions

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    My 10 yr old min pin has had seizures since he was 3.. seems they are getting worse. Dunno how I could ever put this guy down.. hes my best bud.
    Is he on phenobarbital? This worked for one dog for about 8 years then we had to switch him to something else to avoid build up in his liver. He lived to 16 and the seizures subsided as he aged (last 3 years of his life).

I've been through this tough decision twice with 2 dogs and it's never gets any easier, especially when young kids are part of the mix. Please have a good look at giving your dog Glucosamine with Chondroitin for his joint pain before you put him down.

This hits home, Monday of this week I lost both my family dogs. Our Beagle Lily, 14 years old, started having breathing problems overnight and we brought her to the vet where they said it was an enlarged heart and lung issue, she was in pain and we made the decision it wasn't fair for her to suffer. The rest of Monday my Husky - Shepherd mix Sky, 16 years old, wouldn't try to move at all and passed away in her sleep that night. I lost both my best friends in essentially 12 hours time.

I say this because in recent years both dogs have their difficulties, Lily had spine and hip issues, Sky had started to lose her vision and was having trouble standing and walking. We made the decision that as long as they weren't in pain we would do whatever we could for them since they were our family. Towards the end we had to carry both up and down the stairs each morning and night, carry them outside to use the washroom, put down carpet runners so they could get better traction, had them on the glucosamine pills, got special shirts that stimulated the spine, were going to have a wheelchair made for Lily if needed. A lot of people told us this was stupid and we were burdening ourselves, I will tell you now if I could I'd do it all again twice and more if I could still have them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    This hits home, Monday of this week I lost both my family dogs. Our Beagle Lily, 14 years old, started having breathing problems overnight and we brought her to the vet where they said it was an enlarged heart and lung issue, she was in pain and we made the decision it wasn't fair for her to suffer. The rest of Monday my Husky - Shepherd mix Sky, 16 years old, wouldn't try to move at all and passed away in her sleep that night. I lost both my best friends in essentially 12 hours time.

I say this because in recent years both dogs have their difficulties, Lily had spine and hip issues, Sky had started to lose her vision and was having trouble standing and walking. We made the decision that as long as they weren't in pain we would do whatever we could for them since they were our family. Towards the end we had to carry both up and down the stairs each morning and night, carry them outside to use the washroom, put down carpet runners so they could get better traction, had them on the glucosamine pills, got special shirts that stimulated the spine, were going to have a wheelchair made for Lily if needed. A lot of people told us this was stupid and we were burdening ourselves, I will tell you now if I could I'd do it all again twice and more if I could still have them here.
    If they're "family" then it's the least you can do for them (everything you did/tried).

Sorry for your loss....that is tough.

Like I said, would have done more if we could. The vet didn't think Lily would survive any surgery otherwise we would have. They we're our family, anything they suggested helped we did and did happily.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Like I said, would have done more if we could. The vet didn't think Lily would survive any surgery otherwise we would have. They we're our family, anything they suggested helped we did and did happily.
    That's what I got from your post.

Have you thought about a canine chiropractor? My personal chiropractor is also an animal chiropractor and I have talked to several of the animal owners who swear by it. Me included. One gentleman told me he had to carry his dog in, but after the treatment the dog walked out on its own. Is it a cure, probably not, but it may make the remaining days more comfortable for your four-legged family member. Good luck.

^ Had no idea, good info.

Thanks for the info and support. Gonna call the vet tomorrow and talk about options.
    Aside from the emotional aspect. I’m worried about his demenor as well

He used to love being pet and wrestling with the kids. Now he dosnt like to be touched. Gets snarky if your too rough with him(kids playing) I’d never forgive myself if he bit somone (never even tried but)

Club Supporter
    You could get him on something pretty quickly and should know in short order if it will work or not.