Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Residential electrical questions

I do have some paper wrap wiring and I am replacing it where I can. For the most part it is in good condition considering it is 50 years old.
    One of the mentioned breakers is protecting to kitchen counter plugs and the other the same as well as a couple of other outlets and a light. A couple of the outlets for the counter reveal that the red wire is cut and capped and therefore isn’t doing anything.
    My dad is an hvac guy and says the breaker for ac should be 30 amp. The breaker at the sub-panel is 30 but the main panel is supplying the sub-panel with a 15. The wiresuppluing thesub-panel is 8awg so it can handle the power. Still surprised the 15 hasn’t popped. Could be that it had failed or that the ac start up draw happens too quickly and for too short a time for the breaker to react.
    Thanks for the help so far guys. It’s been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    How far are you moving the panel? You may not be able to move it. In which case you are maybe better off getting a new 200A service and a new panel.

We got a 200A service when we did the garage and put a 100A sub-panel in the garage.

And those are definitely your kitchen split plugs as mentioned.
    The panel has enough cable behind it to be shifted almost 12” to the direction I need.
    I would like to upgrade but I’m running out of time to get a company in. I had a local company come in and the were to give me a quote but called and said they had P.O. to fill and couldn’t do it at this time. Might just have to move it for now and upgrade later if need be.

I run two fish tanks a pond pump, central air, electric dryer. 220 air compressor and a 220 welder and my 100 amp has never given me issues. Though I bet I’m running a fine line.

Split receptacles for kitchen , call in a sparky to oversee what you want to do imo