Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires, what are you running...

Tires, what are you running...

Ol Paint is going to need a new set of tires this spring so I figured I would start my research early. He is no longer a daily driver, but will see the city and rural streets and three or four track days next year. My first inclination was the Nitto NT555 Gen II, but I wouldn't mind something a little more aggressive for the track (I'm willing to give up some street manners). At this time the budget does not allow for a dedicated set of track tires. So, that being said, or written, what have you got and what are your real world experiences.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Do you have a budget in mind?
    Hoping to be in under $300.00/tire all in.

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Stephen, right around your price cap you could get Continental's latest version of their top tier rubber, which is available in the 255/45R18 that I'm assuming you want:

https://www.continentaltire.ca/car/t...econtact-sport

These are improved over the previous gen Extreme Contact DW, which were already very good. Had those on my 07 and was very impressed with them.

For less dough you can get the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 which is built off a Bridgestone carcass, excellent performer for the price range and also sold in the 255/45R18 size. This is the same model of tire I had on the 17 Mustang Ecoboost demo this past summer. Very strong grip dry and wet, only downside I noticed was more road noise on some older pavement surfaces compared to a premium tire. If you can live with that, performance-wise these are a bargain.

https://www.firestonetire.ca/tire/firehawk-indy-500
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

Pretty happy with my second gen 555’s... mind you, they are barely broken in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '88 LX

The Firehawks Ed posted look like a great bargain for a street tire and allow you to save up for a track tire.

That said, I'm looking at either replacing my Nitto NT05's with the same, or try something new. Still a season left, but lots of chunks and cuts in them.
    I really like them as a track tire, and never had any problems with them on the street.
    -Don____________

If I can swing a track set of tires they would still have to be streetable to allow me to drive to the track.

Your factory width wheels are going to limit the choices you have for the type of rubber you're considering. Ideally you would get something from the "extreme performance" category which are the 180 to 200 treadwear rating street tires that are also trackable. But in 18" sizes that are tall enough for an S197, most are 275 width or larger which will require at least 9" wide wheels, 9.5 or 10" being even better. One exception is the Bridgestone RE-71R being available in 265/45R18 which could be squeezed on to your 8.5" wheels, but that's still a compromise.
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752

Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    Your factory width wheels are going to limit the choices you have for the type of rubber you're considering. Ideally you would get something from the "extreme performance" category which are the 180 to 200 treadwear rating street tires that are also trackable. But in 18" sizes that are tall enough for an S197, most are 275 width or larger which will require at least 9" wide wheels, 9.5 or 10" being even better. One exception is the Bridgestone RE-71R being available in 265/45R18 which could be squeezed on to your 8.5" wheels, but that's still a compromise.
    I found the wheel size to be an issue as well. I wish I didn't like the wheels so much then I could look for a set of 18x9 or 18x9.5. What size were the wheels on the first gen S197 GT500s? If I can get a set of those cheap then I can get a set of track tires and make my existing Nitto's last one more season then get new street tires in 2019. Just thinking out loud.

The early GT-500 had 18 x 9.5" wheels. There is a young guy in Brampton named Martin (can't recall his screen name here, not a frequent poster) who has a set available for a good price that are a bit cosmetically challenged. I'll send you a message with his contact info. Then you could grab a used set of the Continental 275/35R18 slicks or something similar to use at track days.
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752