Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Gold, Texas Tea I think NOT! Ideas welcome?

Black Gold, Texas Tea I think NOT! Ideas welcome?

Pulled my Ford Racing intake to relocate the IAT sensor from the MAF location to an intake runner. Frankly I was very shocked at the amount of oil that had accumulated in the intake. I previously had a JLT catch can on the driver’s side until the forged motor and Ford Racing Intake went into the car in May 2013, but because the original hoses were no longer suitable the JLT was left off. I put the driver’s side JLT Oil Separator back on in July this year. When I removed the intake yesterday there was a little oil in the separator but not much.

However, this is what I found pooled in the intake. In fact there was even more than this as another pool of oil was formed out of the throttle body when the back of the intake was tipped up.

Current configuration has the passenger side valve cover connected with a 6AN hose to the Vortech intake tube elbow.

The driver side uses the original version JLT separator with 10AN hoses.

I am not comfortable with the volume of oil that has accumulated in the intake over 4 years of limited use, less than 15K kilometers in total.

With the gen 1 JLT back on the driver side do you think I am good to go or what other action do you recommend?

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

I wouldn’t be comfortable with that much oil either. Where does the drivers connect on the valve cover (top or side), I can’t see it in your picture. Does the JLT separator that you put back on have the updated screen in it? Even if it does, I think I’d upgrade to the new 3.0 separator and monitor the amount of oil that it’s catching.

Original screen in the JLT which was purchased in 2010. JLT connects to the OEM location on the driver side valve cover.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

To me, far side of excessive and needs to be addressed.

-does valve cover have adequate baffling at PCV?
    -is there oil ahead of the throttle body / intake tube as well?
    -if yes, is there also oil beyond where pass side tees into intake tube and the super charger?
    -what oil are you running?

Most of the boosted rides where we are seeing excessive oil like that are auto's. Have seen accumulation reduced by pulling it down a gear (or two) before stepping on the loud pedal. Idea being, auto that downshifts even a lil slowly loads the engine too hard. Same for not rolling on a stick car without first downshifting.
    On my own, can do an entire track day, two full tanks of fuel with tons of WOT / full boost pulls and see little accumulation. Drive on the street for similar couple tanks of fuel, roll on it to pass in 6th or just do some upper gear hits and the amount can be a fair bit more. Flip back to let it rpm before you hit it and the accumulation goes back to virtually nothing.
    Also did oil grade testing, 5w20 / 5w30 vs 10w30, thinner oil yielded several times more oil in the catch can under all conditions.
    Doing a bunch of looking around at the new catch can products out there, newer players to the game have some great ideas.

Scott message me on facebook when your on, I have a video from Jeremy at S&H breaking down the operation on a boosted 3V and showing the operation of the check valve in the driver side head. It changes the whole way you expect it to work

You able to link here Nick?

One other thing I noticed is you have -6 hose on the fresh air side of the system, which is 3/8” and it’s a long run. The stock hose on mine is around 1/2”, and I’m wondering if a restriction on the fresh air side could cause any issues.

^ Yes factory hose is much larger.

Oil separator testing, although it's possible they perform the same under pressure vs vac, interested to see a test to confirm A or B does not accel at one vs the other.
    Back to Scott's car / thinking about it overnight, my suggestions, step up the hose size on the passengers side v/c, move separator on the drivers side to the fender which would allow enough length to add a check valve and monitor closely. If results are better but not satisfactory, might even try one of the dual level separators (inlet on bottom / vac on top). I also can't stress enough the difference in controlling blow by we are seeing between oil grades, it's night and day in both N/A and boosted rides.

You are probably already aware of the JLT update but just in case your not I’ll post a link to their video. It’s not too impressive looking but it’s a big improvement over the original screen design. Mine probably catches 1oz of oil every 1500 km.

https://youtu.be/vd8m6fGGTTM