Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Gold, Texas Tea I think NOT! Ideas welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    You are probably already aware of the JLT update but just in case your not I’ll post a link to their video. It’s not too impressive looking but it’s a big improvement over the original screen design. Mine probably catches 1oz of oil every 1500 km.

https://youtu.be/vd8m6fGGTTM

Nice, thanks for posting.
    Guess other question to Scott, is yours hooked up in the correct direction?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    To me, far side of excessive and needs to be addressed.

-does valve cover have adequate baffling at PCV?
    -is there oil ahead of the throttle body / intake tube as well?
    -if yes, is there also oil beyond where pass side tees into intake tube and the super charger?
    -what oil are you running?

Most of the boosted rides where we are seeing excessive oil like that are auto's. Have seen accumulation reduced by pulling it down a gear (or two) before stepping on the loud pedal. Idea being, auto that downshifts even a lil slowly loads the engine too hard. Same for not rolling on a stick car without first downshifting.
    On my own, can do an entire track day, two full tanks of fuel with tons of WOT / full boost pulls and see little accumulation. Drive on the street for similar couple tanks of fuel, roll on it to pass in 6th or just do some upper gear hits and the amount can be a fair bit more. Flip back to let it rpm before you hit it and the accumulation goes back to virtually nothing.
    Also did oil grade testing, 5w20 / 5w30 vs 10w30, thinner oil yielded several times more oil in the catch can under all conditions.
    Doing a bunch of looking around at the new catch can products out there, newer players to the game have some great ideas.
    Not sure on the the value cover baffling can't remember, they are those crazy expensive Moroso fabricated covers and I put them on May 2013.

Vortech intake tube elbow were the passenger side valve cover hose connects is completely dry as is the output of the cooler in front of the throttle body. This suggests the problem is with the driver side.

Amsoil 5W20

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    One other thing I noticed is you have -6 hose on the fresh air side of the system, which is 3/8” and it’s a long run. The stock hose on mine is around 1/2”, and I’m wondering if a restriction on the fresh air side could cause any issues.
    Agreed it is longer than the OEM 3V length. It could be configured with 8AN but based on the fact the Vortech intake elbow where the passenger hose terminates is completely dry it may not be necessary.

Oil separator testing, although it's possible they perform the same under pressure vs vac, interested to see a test to confirm A or B does not accel at one vs the other.
    Back to Scott's car / thinking about it overnight, my suggestions, step up the hose size on the passengers side v/c, move separator on the drivers side to the fender which would allow enough length to add a check valve and monitor closely. If results are better but not satisfactory, might even try one of the dual level separators (inlet on bottom / vac on top). I also can't stress enough the difference in controlling blow by we are seeing between oil grades, it's night and day in both N/A and boosted rides.
    Remembering that I just added the JLT back on the car this past May the vast majority of the oil had to be there before the separator went back on. Not much real estate available in the engine compartment. Planning to install an Anderson Power Pipe this winter and it should take up less room than the Vortech intake maybe this will allow a longer hose run in the engine compartment otherwise fender well may be the only option.

Nice, thanks for posting.
    Guess other question to Scott, is yours hooked up in the correct direction?
    This is an excellent question, will have to take a close look. Based on the OEM connector configuration in the video it looks like the little hole needs to be on the valve cover side.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

No oil in the other hose is indeed a good sign, still should be larger though.
    Yes points you directly at drivers side. I'd hook a hose to the cover n see if your able to confirm pcv is functioning. If ok, update and move separator to where your able to increase hose length and install a check valve (with matching hose size / fluid capability from McMaster Carr). Up the ante on your oil (10w30) and retest.
    I'd bet the farm combo will clear it up.

Looking at instructions and your pics, is there a PCV valve in there someplace?

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/web/ins...68388_inst.pdf

No oil in the other hose is indeed a good sign, still should be larger though.
    Yes points you directly at drivers side. I'd hook a hose to the cover n see if your able to confirm pcv is functioning. If ok, update and move separator to where your able to increase hose length and install a check valve (with matching hose size / fluid capability from McMaster Carr). Up the ante on your oil (10w30) and retest.
    I'd bet the farm combo will clear it up.
    Rick thanks for the tip on McMaster Carr, should be able to find something there.

Looking at instructions and your pics, is there a PCV valve in there someplace?

http://www.shopmoroso.com/eb/web/ins...68388_inst.pdf
    That Moroso configuration only works with OEM 3V manifold. Before I reinstalled the JLT I had a in-line PCV valve. Currently no PCV in JLT.

Dumb question, check valve = PCV?

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

Just for reference, found low pressure release fuel / oil compatible valves on their site today in 1/4 pipe (part #7775K52) , they do offer same but in larger sizes for your application. Check part number.
    You know what, good thought / question. I'd think pcv should remain with check valve (after all, pcv is there to both meter air and act as a check valve of sorts) but will be testing flow on pair of set ups I'm working on. Will post once I know better, won't be for a few weeks I'd think.
    Just had someone try to buy from them but order was cancelled as they only sell to a business or school, any problem ordering holler. List of what they carry is impressive.
    Just as you said, wondering how much of this accumulated while the separator was off.

Just for reference, found low pressure release fuel / oil compatible valves on their site today in 1/4 pipe (part #7775K52) , they do offer same but in larger sizes for your application. Check part number.
    You know what, good thought / question. I'd think pcv should remain with check valve (after all, pcv is there to both meter air and act as a check valve of sorts) but will be testing flow on pair of set ups I'm working on. Will post once I know better, won't be for a few weeks I'd think.
    Just had someone try to buy from them but order was cancelled as they only sell to a business or school, any problem ordering holler. List of what they carry is impressive.
    Just as you said, wondering how much of this accumulated while the separator was off.
    Thanks for the offer to help with the order if I have a problem Rick!

Pretty sure the vast majority of the oil accumulated with the separator off as the JLT was off from May 2013 to May 2017.

There was about 1/8" oil in the separator when I pulled the intake (from May 2017). Still need to check if I had the flow direction right. Will also contact JLT about the new little screen filter.

Left JLT a note on the new screen and also investigated Bob's Auto oil separator.

After I drilled and taped the intake for the IAT sensor I picked it up by the front and still more oil came out of the vacuum port that goes to the brake booster. Really need to address this. Rick looking forward to your findings!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Agreed it is longer than the OEM 3V length. It could be configured with 8AN but based on the fact the Vortech intake elbow where the passenger hose terminates is completely dry it may not be necessary.
    If you had oil in the passenger side hose that would be really bad because it should be drawing fresh air into the motor through the passenger side. I really don’t know if the reduced size will cause any issues, but I just think of it as the crankcase ventilation system inhaling through a cocktail straw.

Something else that might be worth looking into as a PCV valve option, is the valve used on the Thunderbird Super Coupe. I’ve heard that the OEM Motorcraft valve for this application has a built in check valve. I haven’t confirmed this but it might be worth checking into.

Crankcase ventilation air path
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KRS; 11-28-2017 at 08:16 PM.