Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macs - anti-virus software?

Club Supporter

Macs - anti-virus software?

My wife needed a new laptop and I've spent so much time this year dealing with issues on her current laptop (hardware issues) that I finally gave in and got her a Macbook Pro to change things up a bit. Expensive machine to surf the web, email, and work on Word/Excel, etc...lol. She already has an iPad and I was already in the process to upgrade her from a Blackberry to iPhone so figured it was a good time to try a Macbook.

It's the first Apple computer in our house so I'm not that in tune with them.

Do I need anti-virus/internet security software for the Macbook (guy at the store who uses one personally said it's not needed but I'm wondering about security for banking, etc)? If so, which ones would impact operating performance the least? Currently using Kaspersky on the Windows laptops as it impedes their performance the least (compared to McAfee or Norton).

Thanks!

Not needed.
    -Don____________

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Macs - anti-virus software?

I’ve had my Mac Pro since 2012 or 2013
    Didn’t add any antivirus software
    Been fine so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Agree with the above. Not needed on a Mac.
    ~Scott B

If online banking with 7 figure amounts, do it...

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    same same. There is merit to the whole "purposely slowing older machines" so pick your updates wisely. My 6s phone and iPad pro are both slowing down from blindly accepting updates.
    After a point I don't think you have a choice to decline the updates? Apple is offering a $35 (approx) discounted price for battery replacements to resolve the operating performance issues.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    in my case I don't beleive I have battery issues with either device, but I also don't know of a way to measure battery performance/condition
    Maybe not but any iPhone 6 or 6S that's a couple years old and been through a lot of charge cycles with likely have issues. I contacted Apple earlier this year after I saw their battery recall in China which they extended to a limited run of phones outside China for the same issue I was having (phone would go from 30-50% battery life to <10% and turn off suddenly or drain quickly when cold) but they said I had to pay full price for a battery replacement which I opted to wait and see if they issue became bigger for them. It turns out they implemented this software to slow down the phones with the battery issues to extend battery life without having to do a worldwide recall, and also didn't tell users who experienced the slower app and OS performance. Now they've admitted to this and reduced the battery replacement cost by 65% (I assume they're still trying to avoid a global battery recall). I'll pay the $35 in January and replace my battery since my phone is still like new.

I asked an Apple genius (my wife) and she said if you want/need antivirus for your Mac, ClamAV is what you want.

https://www.clamxav.com
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I asked an Apple genius (my wife) and she said if you want/need antivirus for your Mac, ClamAV is what you want.

https://www.clamxav.com
    Thanks! I'll take a look - next risk conference I go to I'll ask some of the hackers about Macs and security.