Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine racks/cellars - what do you have? Self built, off the shelf, or contractor built

Club Supporter

Wine racks/cellars - what do you have? Self built, off the shelf, or contractor built

I know there are some wine drinkers on the board so wondering what wine storage racks/cellars are out there. Probably won't build one myself but open to buying a unit to install (was looking at one company that sells wine rack "kits" that you can buy and self install) or having one built (along a basement or cold cellar wall for example). Not planning to do a fridge type unit.

We have a wine cabinet next to the TV, a roll out bar with wine storage in the dinning room, a wine fridge in the kitchen, and 2 X 72 bottle racks in the basement. We might have a problem.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/72...FQatTwodWZoChg
    Goes on sale occasionally. Do the sales alert.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    LOL....now it gets real! Is that 72-bottle rack pretty stable when loaded (half or full)? Do you secure it to the wall? I have about 120 bottles now so would probably do a rack somewhere between 120-150 bottles. This weekend I have to find the name of the company I read about a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    We have a wine cabinet next to the TV, a roll out bar with wine storage in the dinning room, a wine fridge in the kitchen, and 2 X 72 bottle racks in the basement. We might have a problem.
    When it comes to wine, there is no problem. In my wine cellar I built a shelf that can hold 3-50L and 3-25L wine damijans, plus a storage rack that can hold many 1 gallon jugs ready to transfer to bottles.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/72...FQatTwodWZoChg
    Goes on sale occasionally. Do the sales alert.
    Seems like you problem is you buy too much wine and dont drink enough. Lol

Depends what your looking for storage wise.

Racks store wine but don’t keep it at the correct temp to enjoy immediately when you want. (Unless you don’t care about drinking temp)

Also depends on the quality of wine your drinking And how long it sits before you drink it.

My wife likes sweet wine and likes it as cold as possible so we get batches made and put in a keg that goes in my keg fridge.

I don’t keep much wine on hand o5er than that cuz I tend to drink it as fast as I buy it. Lol

There are a lot of pre made chillers to store diverent amounts that are designed to preserve wine as long as possible.
    (Not many over the shelf wines are gonna be any good after a few years.)

i drink beer, but my father and stepmother are wine drinkers. He had a wine cellar built in with bar stand, holds about 75- 100 bottles I think along with a bunch of glasses and decanter, hides behind a rolling barn door. It's a real nice setup as its on the main floor near the kitchen for convenience, but not intrusive and easily hidden if wanted.

Similar to this

Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    LOL....now it gets real! Is that 72-bottle rack pretty stable when loaded (half or full)? Do you secure it to the wall?
    I was skeptical, but it's surprisingly strong and stable. We have it under the stairs in a little cubby hole, free-standing. Worst part is assembling it, it takes a while and is tedious.

Full disclosure: the bottom rack is all rum from Cuba.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Full disclosure: the bottom rack is all rum from Cuba.
    Hey, if it fits, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    i drink beer, but my father and stepmother are wine drinkers. He had a wine cellar built in with bar stand, holds about 75- 100 bottles I think along with a bunch of glasses and decanter, hides behind a rolling barn door. It's a real nice setup as its on the main floor near the kitchen for convenience, but not intrusive and easily hidden if wanted.

Similar to this

That looks cool - he had that cubby area before building this?

No. He had them build out an area that was open space before. You could easily retrofit a closet to this or do what they did and build the wall out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

You can retrofit closets usualy involves a pre made kit. If your going for temp controlled. Also $$$$$$

What kind of budget are you working with?

We have different suppliers that offer a large range of coolers and storage.