Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wine racks/cellars - what do you have? Self built, off the shelf, or contractor built

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    easy solution. stick to whisky
    That's in the upstairs liquor cabinet with the liqueurs and other "beverages".

Superseven

Wine racks/cellars - what do you have? Self built, off the shelf, or contractor built

I am definitely out of my league here but I craft a bit and make the following wine holders. Both hold single bottles. I hobby craft in my free time currently just starting out but am curious on getting input into the designs from what seem to be true wine lovers.

Constructive criticism is encouraged and welcome.

You can see a bit of what I do at @sevencraftwerks on instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club Supporter
    I'll take a look at Insta later but are they mostly upside down? That's probably ok in your kitchen/dining room for display/short term storage before drinking but not for any longer storage (sediment will build up under the cork). The two designs above look cool.

Superseven
    Awesome thanks for the compliment and input;
    so for longer term storage is flat/slightly forward (towards cork) or backwards better?

Currently these are my main two concepts and they are for a either decorative or short term storage; that being said I have a few ideas for longer term larger bottle quantities so I wanted to pick all of your brains for what you look for in a bottle storage solution.

Flat on their sides for corked bottle. Doesn't matter for capped bottles, side or upright.
    Disadvantage to upside down as mentioned is the sediment.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Superseven View Post
    Awesome thanks for the compliment and input;
    so for longer term storage is flat/slightly forward (towards cork) or backwards better?

Currently these are my main two concepts and they are for a either decorative or short term storage; that being said I have a few ideas for longer term larger bottle quantities so I wanted to pick all of your brains for what you look for in a bottle storage solution.

As RedSN noted, flat is best for anything longer than short term to keep the cork from drying out (which would let air in and oxidize) while not allowing sediment to collect around the cork (or cap as you can get sediment in bottles with caps as well) and get mixed in with the wine when you pour.

You can angle champagne downward since there is typically no sediment but the bottles are different.

So flat storage, normal wine bottles can be average sized or bigger (for more expensive bottles or varietals with thicker glass walls, or burgundy style bottles which have longer/thinner necks and wider bases) when considering fit and stability, smaller sizing would be for late harvest and ice wines. For short term display, you can also consider tilted (slightly upright) racks which would "showcase" the wine bottle/label in a dining room or kitchen area.

Superseven
    Great thanks for the input guys. I will keep that in mind if/when I make a more than decorative rack.