Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions wanted on a car sale gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by Clutt gt View Post
    The judge asked them both to throw out an offer and that because both parties could not provide the bill of sale paperwork for car and all they had was some email traffic that it would likely settle at 15% of the suit.
    Here's the real problem. Case has nothing to do with as-is or not.
    Had the seller produced a copy of the UVIP with the signature of the buyer and the word "unfit" under vehicle condition it would be an open-and-shut case.

There should be a reminder on the ownership informing owners that they MUST get a UVIP when selling the vehicle and transferring the ownership. So many people have no idea what a UVIP is.
    Last edited by RedSN; 12-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    -Don____________

A clear case of entitlement on the part of the purchaser.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

55 HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Doesn't any used car sale require a UVIP?
    Law says it is the sellers responsibility to obtain a USED VEHICLE INFORMATION PACKAGE. but that can be obtained by anyone with the VIN # @ the MTO office for the $20.00 fee. All you need to sell a used vehicle is a written agreement that is signed by two parties for an agreed amount and condition. Once the payment has been made simply sign the 2 copies (one for each party to keep as a record) and move on with the deal done.

Now the UVIP document needs to be filled out at the MTO when you transfer the vehicle so they can get their share $20,00 of the pie. The only benefit to the UVIP is that you get to see the history of the last 7 owners (I think) that is as far back as they go. And more IMPORTANT you get to see if there are any liens registered against the said vehicle.

SO YES, always take the time to purchase a UVIP when selling a car. But remember they have an expiry date of 30 days.........meaning a lien could be registered against the vehicle that you just purchased if the lender doesn't do their proper checking to see if the borrower using the said vehicle still owns the vehicle. As we all know the Banks never get rid of paper work that they have loaned money out on. I once had my Bank try to add a car I hadn't owned in 7 years to my new loan as security as they lumped together all my stuff on file as security.

So yes paper trails of all deals is very valuable to have when you need to prove what went down.

Quote Originally Posted by 55 HD View Post
    The only benefit to the UVIP is that you get to see the history of the last 7 owners (I think) that is as far back as they go. And more IMPORTANT you get to see if there are any liens registered against the said vehicle.
    That's not the only benefits. This case clearly illustrates the UVIP also would have been useful as a proper bill of sale and shown that the vehicle was purchased "unfit".
    The UVIP also shows you the amount of tax you can expect to pay at the MTO so it isn't a shock when you get there.

There are soooooooo many advantages to both the seller and the buyer in getting the UVIP. It's only $20.
    -Don____________

55 HD
    Thanks Don for correcting and adding to the benefits of the UVIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I bought a 73 Volvo 1800ES once but the seller had remorse and so I sold it back, same price 2 weeks later. I still want either an 1800 or an 1800ES
    One of my all time favourite cars. Almost bought one a decade ago, but was 2 hours too late.
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55

You change favorites Steve??

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    You change favorites Steve??

ONE of my all time favourites.
    #1 Avanti. #2 65 Buick Riviera. #3 Volvo P1800 (the Saint's car). #4 65 Mustang. # 5 '65 AC Cobra 427.

And a few others that are a little further down the list
    73 Ferrari Daytona
    63 T-bird
    55-56 Chevy (not 57)
    56 Buick
    68 Cougar
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55

about 14 years ago I bought a 1988 Mustang hatch 4 cylinder for $400. I took it to my mechanic but it turned out to need a LOT of work. The seller graciously took it back and only charged me $100. It was purchased as is and I knew it needed work. Only not so much.
    Just seems like common sense. You buy a used car for $1800, you would expect some work needs to be done. If you are looking for perfection you either go up the scale on price or you buy new.
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55