Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Horton's blow back.

Cool Tim Horton's blow back.

A social media movement is encouraging people to join “No Timmies Tuesday” on Jan. 9 and instead visit independent coffee shops.

The protest comes after some Ontario Tim Hortons franchisees eliminated paid breaks, fully covered health and dental plans, and other perks for their workers to help their businesses absorb the 20 per cent jump from an $11.60 hourly minimum wage to $14 at the start of the month. Those changes came to light after a letter from the owners of two Cobourg, Ont., franchisees circulated on social media.
    Since then, concerned consumers have taken to social media and encouraged others to #BoycottTimHortons to put pressure on the chain to reverse the changes. However, the company and its franchisees are blaming each other for the decision, a blowout that could turn a local story with a small protest into a national tale and public relations disaster.
    After seeing the letter, Lundquist went into her usual Tim Hortons in Whitby, Ont., to ask whether they made similar cutbacks. She said she decided to stop frequenting it after an employee reluctantly told her they were no longer paid for breaks. Employees at the other three Tim Hortons on her commute into work told her they were instructed not to speak about it, she said, so she inferred similar changes were afoot and gave up her Tim Hortons teas.
    Alan Harris decided to stop his near daily prework Tim Hortons stop for an extra-large coffee and old-fashioned plain doughnut in Windsor, Ont. in a gesture of solidarity.
    Harris works in retail and saw his pay increase to the new minimum wage this year.
    “I can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque,” he said. Harris wants the boycott to put pressure on the corporation and franchisees to reintroduce the scaled-back benefits.

Tim Horton's is owned by a Brazilian conglomerate...they don't give shit what Canadians think. They just want to milk the system.
    Corporate sets the prices, supplies the product at inflated prices. There is a fight between 1000 Canadian franchisees and head office.

This will get ugly.

r-model
    They got paid breaks??????? I have never gotten paid breaks anywhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r-model View Post
    They got paid breaks??????? I have never gotten paid breaks anywhere!!!!
    This is my feeling. Honestly I'm in favour of what they did, if the government is going to mandate the level of compensation and benefits I need to provide I'm going to adhere to that and nothing more. Also I love the FUCKING FACT THAT IN SOME OF THESE STORIES THEY INTERVIEW PEOPLE WHO MAKE MINIMUM WAGE HAVE A GODDAMN MORNING TIM HORTONS ROUTINE. FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU IDIOTS IF YOU MAKE MINIMUM WAGE AND ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT SUPPORTING A LIVING CUT OUT THE GODDAMN EXPENSIVE MEAL BREAKS AND MAKE COFFEE AND BREAKFAST AT HOME. FUCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I don’t see many people boycotting the government for causing business to have to take these measures. I mean can I stop paying taxes and such to show the government who’s boss (I fucking think not) Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again....the liberals will bleed us to the end......
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

^ Yes they most certainly will.

If you do the math the workers make out a little better than before but the government effectively doubled the amount of tax they were making off minimum wage earners.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    If you do the math the workers make out a little better than before but the government effectively doubled the amount of tax they were making off minimum wage earners.
    Depends on the hours they worked before and after, in a lot of cases folks may enter a new tax bracket. It's a shit show designed for optics and revenue collections disguised as public interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Gary's post from earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Depends on the hours they worked before and after, in a lot of cases folks may enter a new tax bracket. It's a shit show designed for optics and revenue collections disguised as public interest.
    Oh I totally agree with you. Was just reiterating the fact that it’s the government that is coming out on top here.