Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  75
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Horton's blow back.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Tim Horton's blow back.

A social media movement is encouraging people to join “No Timmies Tuesday” on Jan. 9 and instead visit independent coffee shops.

The protest comes after some Ontario Tim Hortons franchisees eliminated paid breaks, fully covered health and dental plans, and other perks for their workers to help their businesses absorb the 20 per cent jump from an $11.60 hourly minimum wage to $14 at the start of the month. Those changes came to light after a letter from the owners of two Cobourg, Ont., franchisees circulated on social media.
    Since then, concerned consumers have taken to social media and encouraged others to #BoycottTimHortons to put pressure on the chain to reverse the changes. However, the company and its franchisees are blaming each other for the decision, a blowout that could turn a local story with a small protest into a national tale and public relations disaster.
    After seeing the letter, Lundquist went into her usual Tim Hortons in Whitby, Ont., to ask whether they made similar cutbacks. She said she decided to stop frequenting it after an employee reluctantly told her they were no longer paid for breaks. Employees at the other three Tim Hortons on her commute into work told her they were instructed not to speak about it, she said, so she inferred similar changes were afoot and gave up her Tim Hortons teas.
    Alan Harris decided to stop his near daily prework Tim Hortons stop for an extra-large coffee and old-fashioned plain doughnut in Windsor, Ont. in a gesture of solidarity.
    Harris works in retail and saw his pay increase to the new minimum wage this year.
    “I can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque,” he said. Harris wants the boycott to put pressure on the corporation and franchisees to reintroduce the scaled-back benefits.

Tim Horton's is owned by a Brazilian conglomerate...they don't give shit what Canadians think. They just want to milk the system.
    Corporate sets the prices, supplies the product at inflated prices. There is a fight between 1000 Canadian franchisees and head office.

This will get ugly.

r-model
    They got paid breaks??????? I have never gotten paid breaks anywhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r-model View Post
    They got paid breaks??????? I have never gotten paid breaks anywhere!!!!
    This is my feeling. Honestly I'm in favour of what they did, if the government is going to mandate the level of compensation and benefits I need to provide I'm going to adhere to that and nothing more. Also I love the FUCKING FACT THAT IN SOME OF THESE STORIES THEY INTERVIEW PEOPLE WHO MAKE MINIMUM WAGE HAVE A GODDAMN MORNING TIM HORTONS ROUTINE. FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU IDIOTS IF YOU MAKE MINIMUM WAGE AND ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT SUPPORTING A LIVING CUT OUT THE GODDAMN EXPENSIVE MEAL BREAKS AND MAKE COFFEE AND BREAKFAST AT HOME. FUCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I don’t see many people boycotting the government for causing business to have to take these measures. I mean can I stop paying taxes and such to show the government who’s boss (I fucking think not) Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again....the liberals will bleed us to the end......
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    I don’t see many people boycotting the government for causing business to have to take these measures. I mean can I stop paying taxes and such to show the government who’s boss (I fucking think not) Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again....the liberals will bleed us to the end......
    ^^^Quote of the day...instead of protesting at Tim Hortons they should head on down to Queens Park!
    The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Intmdtr View Post
    Does everyone know that by increasing the minimum wage it actually sets you in a higher tax bracket? And therefore you work the same for less money yet again...
    How many hours is a person on minimum wage working? i.e. how much income are they making per year?
    Unless they are making more than $43k, they will not be paying a higher income tax rate. And even if they do make more than $43k, they only pay a slightly higher rate on the income above $43k. They aren't working for "less" money.

https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/canada.htm
    https://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/on.htm

Moving into a higher tax bracket is a GOOD thing. It means you are making more money.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    How many hours is a person on minimum wage working? i.e. how much income are they making per year?
    Unless they are making more than $43k, they will not be paying a higher income tax rate. And even if they do make more than $43k, they only pay a slightly higher rate on the income above $43k. They aren't working for "less" money.

Moving into a higher tax bracket is a GOOD thing. It means you are making more money.
    This post saved me a detailed post about the government winning and/or minimum wage earners paying more taxes. Unless the increase pushes their income above $45.3K into the next tax bracket their effective or marginal tax rates will not change (they will pay tax on the incremental dollars earned but typically at the same tax rate as before the increase unless they have other income to push them into a higher tax bracket). The incremental income is being directed from other taxpayers so the government will win only if the income is taxed higher (ie. higher bracket) in the hands of the minimum wage earners than in the hands of the people who were receiving that income before.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post

Yes and no based on how you perceive it. It is a case of diminishing gains which many many people don't realize (not a case of change to taxation rate on entire income). When you correlate the effort vs reward technically you are making less for the work you perform after you hit $43,000 than you were below it. Overall yes still more, but the reward for the jump is less.

To go from making $41500 to $42500 results in a change in after tax income of $35349 to $36266 which means you got an additional $917 for the 67 hours of work at $15 an hour you performed (So an effective wage of $13.69 an hour). To then go from $42500 to $43500 results in a change in after tax income of $36266 to $36985 which means you received an additional $719 for the additional 67 hours at $15 an hour for that jump (An effective wage of $10.73 an hour).

FWIW it's worth I only raised my initial tax bracket jump since it all it would take to eclipses it is an employee working 49 hours a week at $15hr to make enough to enter the next bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Yes and no based on how you perceive it. It is a case of diminishing gains which many many people don't realize (not a case of change to taxation rate on entire income). When you correlate the effort vs reward technically you are making less for the work you perform after you hit $43,000 than you were below it. Overall yes still more, but the reward for the jump is less.

To go from making $41500 to $42500 results in a change in after tax income of $35349 to $36266 which means you got an additional $917 for the 67 hours of work at $15 an hour you performed (So an effective wage of $13.69 an hour). To then go from $42500 to $43500 results in a change in after tax income of $36266 to $36985 which means you received an additional $719 for the additional 67 hours at $15 an hour for that jump (An effective wage of $10.73 an hour).

FWIW it's worth I only raised my initial tax bracket jump since it all it would take to eclipses it is an employee working 49 hours a week at $15hr to make enough to enter the next bracket.
    I didn't re-check your calcs but I assume you're using marginal tax rate methodology on the amount above the next bracket threshold...or no?

To Don's point, on an absolute basis you are making more as you move up through the progressive brackets (except for some small should ranges) so whether it's worth the effort to do so comes down to opportunity cost of that additional work time.